How to move a safe - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 PM

How to move a safe

There have been several discussions on moving safes. Using the right equipment is the key. Youtube has a number of videos showing how it's done and where to find the equipment. I recall watching one man move a safe, that I estimate was 60" x 24" x 42", up a circular stairway by himself. The dolly he used was no doubt a rental but even if it rents for $100 per day it's easier than rounding up 3 friends willing to risk their backs and then having to buy them lunch and beer.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM

I did not realize that the door lifts off of my safe until I moved it a few times. Was hard as hell to move with the door on. With it removed I could more it myself using a furniture dolly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 03:56 PM

I have several large safes and I finally figured out how to move them: HIRE IT DONE!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 04:00 PM

The trick is to research moving companies with electric powered hand trucks designed for this specific task. They are even able to climb stairs!

Safe sales people know who does this in your area. Don't suffer in silence!

Cheers,

Last edited by jjfitch; 11-29-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I have several large safes and I finally figured out how to move them: HIRE IT DONE!:
I have sold gun safes----I agree with the above statement---don't be a hero,,,pay to get it done right the first time.

Thank you,
3/11 ACR
Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Move it with $$$$$$ power.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:36 PM

Hire the pros. I just got a relatively small safe, 375lbs. But it was a tight squeeze down the basement steps. One landing has a step dividing it in half and a hard right turn. They had a “wedge” that makes the landing flat. Now they can rotate the dolly with the safe and head down the stairs. It was only $125, they uncrated it, hauled out the crap and leveled. Two big dudes with all the right tools.

Then I stepped off the platform, lost my balance, removed the rails for the movers and ruptured a quad tendon. Imagine what would happen if I did it myself.

Last edited by jmr986; 11-29-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboundy View Post
I did not realize that the door lifts off of my safe until I moved it a few times. Was hard as hell to move with the door on. With it removed I could more it myself using a furniture dolly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
For many safe companies, if you remove the door, you void the warranty. I do it anyway as I have to move up 3 steps to get in the door. Once there, I use turtles, a dolly, or PVC pipe as rollers. All work well with a nod to the turtles.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 PM

Buy a Zanotti.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 PM

I have a 72x36x24 safe that weighs 1000lbs. In our new house we had it craned up to a 3rd floor patio then dollied it over plywood to its install place. I hope not to move it for a while.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:12 AM

An accident with a safe can put you in a wheelchair for life, or kill you. Would you crawl under a car that was propped up on some paint cans? As others have said, hire a pro.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 AM

I just had a couple of pro's deliver and install a 1100 pound safe. It only took them about 10 minutes. Best $$$$ I ever spent!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 PM

I bought a safe a couple of years ago. It weighs 1900 pounds. Thee guys form the safe company delivered it and installed it. It only took them about 20 minutes to do the complete install.
They had obviously moved many safes before. Glad I paid for them to move it in.

Jajac
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 PM

My ancient Liberty weighs about 1500lbs. I paid like $2,000 for it. I think I've paid almost twice that having it moved all the times I have. But it's been worth it.

To give an example of fools trying to move a smaller safe. My dad had a safe on second floor of his home when he was moving. I wanted it and since it was a small one about 500lbs I figured no problem. We had to go down a flight of stairs that had a right turn in it.
Sliding it on the carpet straight up from bedroom to edge of stairs went fine, laying it down on its back was also fairly easy. Stairs were carpeted so we were gonna slowly slide it on it's back down and then stand it and turn it for second set. Two guys on bottom of it pushing with me above and rope around handle to hold and slide it slowly. Both guys petered out halfway leaving me alone. Of course I couldn't hold it so it was everyone panic and jump out of the way. It slid on its own down the stairs and rammed right into the wall. It punched a clean hole thru the wall and half of it up to the handle which is what stopped it was sticking out of the other side of the wall about eight feet up in the den.

Took us half a day to get it back thru the hole and down. But I learned a real lesson then.
I ain't no safe mover.
COTEP#782
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 AM

If your safe weighs a lot, hire it out ! The guy who sold me my safe was missing a finger last time I saw him, and now out of the safe business. My safe weighs 1000 lbs, and I moved it once with friends, and hired out the last time. If moving interstate the best way I found was 1) hire someone to load it into my truck 2) go to a gun shop in your new state and ask who sells safes in the area, and go see them about unloading and moving indoors.

I was getting quotes of up to $3000 to move it across the country, going this route I moved it for $250 and it didnt risk the life or back of my friends.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 AM

I moved my 1250lb safe 20 miles in what I hope is my last move. No stairs all concrete floors. Half inch black pipe rollers and a rented power tilt / dump trailer. If I have to move again I'll hire it out, too many chances to get hurt.
NMC HM
Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 PM

Did you have help?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 PM

I've moved three times now with my safe and had it done by guys who know what they're doing. 1250lbs is too much for me to move.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Pay a professional. If you ask your friends for help they will not be your friends when you are done.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Pay a professional. If you ask your friends for help they will not be your friends when you are done.
Best advice ever. Done !
Old 06-11-2018, 07:19 AM

My son-in-law bought a large, I think about 1000# safe, put it on the first floor, but when selling the house, had to move it, although I wasn't there, thank God, as I am 72, he used plywood, short pieces of pipe and golf balls. From the pictures he sent, the golf balls, let you maneuver it in all directions, with the pipes used on either end of the trip at the beginning and end to the truck. No stairs involved, as went from front porch on ramp into truck.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 AM

My thoughts on the subject: Be Safe when you are moving a Safe. A Safe is suppose to keep your stuff Safe... A Safe is not supposed to crush you...not safe.

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-11-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Depends on the size safe and where you're moving it to,

If it's big and heavy, or stairs are involved hire pros.

I've moved a smaller, lighter safe on a level floor and over a threshold by myself with little effort using steel pipe for rollers.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 AM

On level ground like a garage, rock it backwards and slide a pallet under it, take a pallet jack and move it anywhere you want it. Very simple I do it all the time and my large safes are in the 1700-1800 pound range.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whobuys View Post
On level ground like a garage, rock it backwards and slide a pallet under it, take a pallet jack and move it anywhere you want it. Very simple I do it all the time and my large safes are in the 1700-1800 pound range.
Or just open the safe door. It should be heavy enough to allow you to easily rock the safe enough to fit rollers or golf balls under it.