Carbine, red dot sight in ?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Carbine, red dot sight in ??

It's been a zillion years ago since I took a Law Enforcement "rifle" instructor course. Thereafter it was quarterly "quals". At the time red dots weren't authorized by our department. Shooting was 40- 100 yards. I thought it was ludicrus at the time to enter a wharehouse/neighborhood at night and try to find targets with apature sights.

Fast forward to today the weapons have changed and red dots are now the norm. Where authorized M4's with red dots are the new normal and are deployed/effective at close range and low/no light.

Based on the current trend and training at what distance is the recommended POA/POI for that red dot.

My PCC (9mm) is sighted in for 15 yards but I'm mainly concerned if my AR carbine (.223) should be sighted in at 50 yards as in the pre red dot days? That still puts it about 1.5 inches low at 15 and 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and zero at 200 yards.

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 11-30-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 11-30-2019, 05:47 PM

It entirely depends.

If you expect to be shooting at ranges of 50 yards and less then a 50 yard zero would work. It will put you back to POI/POA at 200.

We went with a 100 yard zero because at the time our policy was written the primary expected use of the rifle was perimeter containment until SWAT could take over.

a 100 yard zero will put your trajectory below line of sight at ALL distances. We're 2 inches low at 25, 1.5 low at 50, zero at 100, and back to 2.5 low at 200.

Having said this in real life shooter error is way more of an issue then 1.5 at this distance or 2 at that distance.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
It entirely depends.

If you expect to be shooting at ranges of 50 yards and less then a 50 yard zero would work. It will put you back to POI/POA at 200.

We went with a 100 yard zero because at the time our policy was written the primary expected use of the rifle was perimeter containment until SWAT could take over.

a 100 yard zero will put your trajectory below line of sight at ALL distances. We're 2 inches low at 25, 1.5 low at 50, zero at 100, and back to 2.5 low at 200.

Having said this in real life shooter error is way more of an issue then 1.5 at this distance or 2 at that distance.
That is exactly where I started but shortened the "zero" as a "civilian". Now I'm less likely to take longer shots as it is strictly defensive implement.

Full disclosure: I also have an AR with Nikon "glass"!

Smiles,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM

50/200 is probably the best zero for all around use with most any low power or no power optic on the AR. Thats what we used on our issue Eotech's and also what I have used on my 1-6 optic AR Game gun for 3-gun. It pretty much allows a center mass hold from point blank to 230 yds.

Notably, with my ammo its actually 46/200 on my game gun, but you need to chronograph your ammo in conjunction with a good ballistic app and/or sight in at 200 and verify at closer ranges to know your holdovers/unders for precise shots.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:24 AM

If 200 rounds defines a properly "broken in" barrel I'm ready to start refining my reloads. (Wet and dry patches after 10-20 rounds!) This was with bulk 55 grain bullets and simulated factory specs.

With the almost endless variety of factory ammo I'll do a little testing to find the sweet spot of accuracy and begin load development to duplicate that. For now I have several cases of Winchester Ranger that looks really good. If my barrel continues to produces .5" or better at 50 yards with Winchester or Hornady I'll be happy.

For a "house gun" it will be loaded with "factory" ammo but practice/training will be mostly promo" ammo, it is cheap and I shoot a lot of it but I also find reloading relaxing.

Smiles,
Old 12-01-2019, 12:02 PM

What MOA is the dot in your sight? A 4 MOA dot will cover 4 inches worth of the target at 100yds. So being off 1-2 inches yourself could add up to being 6 inches off target and create misses.
COTEP#782
Old 12-01-2019, 02:55 PM

This is a V-Strikefire II w/4 mil dot. I prefer the red dot so far over the green.

On the first range trip the first 100 rounds were at 100 yards. The target center was 8"s. This was sighting in and barrel lapping session. The group settled in at around 2 inches with promo ammo from WW and FCC. The 4 mil dot just covers the 4" target center at 50 and the 8" center at 100!

The aperture sights will remain 100 yard POA/POI. The 50 yard dot and 100 yard metallic sight set up seems to me for a home defense/general purpose carbine a good compromise.

The red dot allows these 72 year old eyes to make off hand head shots @ 25-50 yards if I execute the basics!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 12-01-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:19 PM

Height over bore issues are going to always be an AR issue no matter what the zero is. It merely needs to be trained for.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:32 PM

I think that red dots have their niche.

This being primarily low light situations. But lately I have been going more towards straight glass optics that have 1X coupled with magnification. My Noveske wears a Leupold VX6 1X6 IR that I am very happy with insofar as what I am likely to need it for.

More recently I have acquired a S&W M&P AR-10. Here I have gone more or less the same route in that I have a Trigicon 1X8 IR on it that I am also pretty happy with. I think that it is important to consider that good glass will pick up and magnify ambient light to the extent that the objective lens will gather more light than your unaided eye at any rate.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 AM

JJ....Back in the day, we sighted the Patrol Rifles in @ 100yds....No optics, factory Iron sights...In Retirement, I put an Aimpoint Pro on a 6920...The Pro has a 2in. MOA, and the Flip up sights and Pro are zeroed @ 100yds. W/ Green tips.

The advantage to the Aimpoint is shooting with both eyes open, much wider field of view.

I look at this the same as have a fully inflated spare tire, very low probability of ever needing it, but there just in case.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Barrel lengths from 10.5" to 18" firing M193 and M855 showing where bullets should impact using a 50, 100, and 300 yard zero.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:49 PM

Hawkeye:

Google: ARMA DYNAMICS "recommends a 50 yard zero for your AR-15 rifle. The 50 yard zero provides for effective center-mass hits on target at the ranges where a carbine is most commonly used. A 50 yard zero allows the shooter to use a simple center-mass hold to ranges of point blank to 200-250 yards, depending on rifle and ammunition combination.

With this being said, we also realize that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. We have created a series of graphics to compare the different zeros for various barrel length and ammunition combinations to better choose what works best for your needs. (click on the graphic below for the full series):

Great info and it shows exactly what I have graphed with my ammo. Showing a spread of about 3 inches from 25-200 yards all things being perfect. There are factors that can increase that spread by another inch or two.

For a rural home defense weapon 50 yard zero serves my intended purpose for this 16" R/D equipped carbine. Coupled with my R/D equipped 16" 9mm PCC sighted in for 15 yards and my optics equipped 16 inch carbine sighted in for 200 yards we're ready for that mythical SHTF scenario!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 12-02-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: syntax