TRP + arthritis = interesting day at range - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 07:46 PM

TRP + arthritis = interesting day at range

Over the past year I picked up a PC9105L18 and developed basal joint (thumb) arthritis. Been toughing it out but today one magazine is all I could tolerate (two handed strong hand). Seven rounds and each felt like someone was striking me in the hand with a hammer. Since it has been a while since I have made it to the range there was no way I was leaving after seven rounds. Decided to shoot the rest two handed support hand. Was pleasantly surprised and now contemplating training to become primary proficient in two handed support hand. Pros vs. cons? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Struggled with that for quite a few years was in pretty much constant pain. Got my right hand done and then my left hand. Recovery takes time but I have no pain in my hands anymore. Before the surgery I had pretty much switched to 9mm but am back to shooting and carrying my 45’s. The 9’s feel like almost nothing.

Get the surgery, it is well worth it.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 11-29-2019, 08:07 PM

Thank you for your reply and personal insight. I am considering injections prior to a spring class. Surgery is a possibility, but from what I have read surgery can result in limited dexterity, which is what makes me hesitate.

Last edited by glock20man; 11-29-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: me no type so good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 PM

I shoot 300 to 400 rds in an hour . My training is first and foremost 2 handed .
I only train with one hand for that oh sh*t moment that one hand is taken out .
Primary shooting is always two handed .

I will tell you pistol shooting is personal . I don't care how you shoot well . If its
working for you , you do it . Everyone has passed injuries they need to over come
in one way or another . Do what works best for you and that is the right way .

You simply can't not protect yourself if you are shooting uncomfortable and in pain .

Sounds like you could use a 1911 in 9mm . This will drive my friend Javas insane , that I said that ..
lol ...
Old 11-29-2019, 09:28 PM

I am well into my 50s, been shooting since the early 80s but got very heavy into shooting when I became LEO in the late 80s.

Been pounding .45 acp (ball) since 93 and switched to duty carry 1911 in 2008.

A few years ago, I could feel pain creeping up in my right wrist and elbow and I settled on 9mm for a while as shooting 230 FMJ was not fun.

I did a test a few days ago and dumped a couple of hundred rounds of ball out of my MCOP. While I could feel some pain.... it was not unbearable. I followed up with a few hundred rounds out of my CC 9. Recoil out of that piece using 115 FMJ is a joke compared to 230 ball

What I have been focusing on this past year + is improving grip strength with my support hand and applying that to minimize recoil.

I feel your pain and 9mm might be your fix. I had a DW Valkryie LW Commander in 9mm and that thing was silly soft shooting. I sometimes pressed the trigger and thought it malfunctioned because it felt very soft. I only sold it to raise money for another platform but paying for college caused me to hit the brakes for a while.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20man View Post
Thank you for your reply and personal insight. I am considering injections prior to a spring class. Surgery is a possibility, but from what I have read surgery can result in limited dexterity, which is what makes me hesitate.
I had a great surgeon. No dexterity issues at all. They take out the lowest bone from you thumb and then take a strip of Kevlar and run it from the lowest remaining bone to your index finger bone to give the thumb more stability. Itís called the tightrope procedure. Took three to six months to recover and then maybe a little more to get total strength back. Had a trigger finger in each hand fixed both times.

From me it was a life changer and no more pain medications.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 11-30-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Struggled with that for quite a few years was in pretty much constant pain. Got my right hand done and then my left hand. Recovery takes time but I have no pain in my hands anymore. Before the surgery I had pretty much switched to 9mm but am back to shooting and carrying my 45’s. The 9’s feel like almost nothing.

Get the surgery, it is well worth it.
Was it the CMC Joint arthritis surgery?

Edit. Disregard my question.....did not read far enough to the post where you answered.

Last edited by woodlands747; 11-30-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:53 AM

I have the same issue, with the pain. Have both the non rail and full rail TRP. Find the full rail easier to shoot. Probably the full rail is a little heavier.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks again for all the replies and insight. Going to try the 9mm 1911 tomorrow. Hopefully I can get through that with little disruption. If not, might have to switch to a polymer framed da/sa and see if I fare any better. I can't take the time off of work for surgery now, but you all have eased my apprehensions about the surgery so in a few years when I retire I will definitely give it a try. Until then, compression gloves and possibly injections. This getting older thing is not the bill of goods we were sold. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:52 PM

Let’s us know how the 1911 9mm goes?

Some complain a 9mm poly gun has harsh recoil compared to 1911 9mm.

If you reload, there is plenty of info for moderate to light loads in .45 for training purposes.

Good luck to you
Old 11-30-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies and insight. Going to try the 9mm 1911 tomorrow. Hopefully I can get through that with little disruption. If not, might have to switch to a polymer framed da/sa and see if I fare any better. I can't take the time off of work for surgery now, but you all have eased my apprehensions about the surgery so in a few years when I retire I will definitely give it a try. Until then, compression gloves and possibly injections. This getting older thing is not the bill of goods we were sold. Thanks again.
Not sure of your age but looking back, mine started when I was about 40. Very mild at first with just pain from driving. Had no idea of what was causing it. It progressed and by 60 a lot of pain from physical work and shooting. Got to the point that I could not do much with my hands without pain and then pain regardless of if I was doing anything or not. Wait until you feel the need but I will say that I waited about three years to long. Then too much pain meds and no real relief.

Wait til the time is right but donít wait too long. I wish I had done both of my hands about three years sooner. I waited until after I retired but really wish I had done it while I was working.

Good luck, I know it really sucks but there is relief.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 11-30-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
Letís us know how the 1911 9mm goes?

Some complain a 9mm poly gun has harsh recoil compared to 1911 9mm.

If you reload, there is plenty of info for moderate to light loads in .45 for training purposes.

Good luck to you
This is why the 9mm 1911 is a worthy gun to own.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies and insight. Going to try the 9mm 1911 .

This getting older thing is not the bill of goods we were sold. Thanks again.

9mm 1911 has little to no recoil . It should work for you . Good Luck .

I don't know what you were told . But I never heard anything GOOD about
getting old .... lol . All I ever heard was do it while your young .
Old 12-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post

I don't know what you were told . But I never heard anything GOOD about
getting old .... lol . All I ever heard was do it while your young .
Getting old beats the alternative.

All I know is that living through the 60s the first time was a lot more fun...
Joe
Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
This getting older thing is not the bill of goods we were sold.
My very straight-laced and proper mother (now 86) turned to me in conversation some years back and said, "This golden years stuff is a crock of s#%@." She was correct.

I gave up the hard kicking pistols while still in my 40's, just prior to getting rid of any shooting iron not chambered for .22LR, .38/.357, .223/5.56 or 12 gauge. Following a recent retina repair with complications, 12 gauge has been dropped from my list, as I'm not willing to risk additional damage just to play tough guy. The eye thing has been the worst blow so far, but I have aches and pains every day that I had never thought I'd have; if I can mitigate recoil and not push what motor skills I have left to the breaking point, I do so.

Back in 2016, I finally put aside my distrust of 9mm 1911s and got a Springfield ROO, which has been a good shooter for the money and more importantly, a COMFORTABLE shooter. I wish I had "discovered" them sooner.

g n

Last edited by gato naranja; 12-01-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 AM

We must have twins for mothers. Mine is 86 and just as straight-laced and said the same thing.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Update: ran 100 rounds of handloads and 59 rounds of critical duty 135gr+p through the 9mm 1911 = no extra pain/discomfort during range session. Been about two hours since we finished and only thing I notice is my normal stiffness in the thumb and pain/discomfort when I move it, nothing outside the norm. No more 45acp/10mm for me, 9x19 from here on out. Thanks again everyone.

Also put some rounds through one of the new 9mm 2011(P), but that is thread for a different manufacturer's section.

Last edited by glock20man; 12-01-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: me no type so good
Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 PM

Good choice! Happy shooting.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Getting old beats the alternative.

All I know is that living through the 60s the first time was a lot more fun...
Joe
Lol you are right about that for sure. I hit 63 in 2 mo. I am blessed in I can still shoot my 1911's in 45 for a couple hours at a time. Last weekend brought out the 357 mag. Hands are good but knees and back are always a pain.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 AM

I can't offer more than has already been well stated by SW CQB 45, Billiy1911 and Apipeguy.

You gotta respect their experiences...as enthusiasts, successful surgery recovery shooters and long term law enforcement with all the responsibilities & training that come with that calling.

I can only say that I just rounded the 51yo mark. Still dealing with back & nerve issues from a disc surgery a couple years ago. Severe advanced arthritis that mainly resides in both knees that are overdue for replacement according to my ortho guru....as is my right shoulder (right-handed, too).

Can't take time out for repairs now. Fun time job, long 13hr shifts and need to be ever-ready to support my wife of 26 years who is fighting cancer....again....but doing well.

What I'm trying to do is to stay in the game....handle my responsibilities as well as enjoy my hobbies....especially shooting related. I'm fortunate to have a couple nearby ranges where I can stop off, shoot a few hundred rounds and be back home in short order.

Trying to get my gear set up now for reloading my ammo for these sessions and make them a couple times a week on days off work.

In order to stay in the game I've been working on:
* finding something (prescription NSAID) that keeps the inflammation and arthritis pains manageable

* I knocked off beer & liquor back in February so I'd be always ready to support wife's needs and also to cut out a source of needless calories

* I've cut way back on candy, starches and other forms of sugar. I do use Splenda in my coffee & tea and still drink a Diet Mtn Dew or Diet Coke when I want them

* Making that extra room in my waistline helps make IWB holsters more comfortable and hyoooge pain relief on the shot-out knees.

* Rifle....no more magnum stuff for me. I've gone back to regular old cartridges for my future hunting....and even did something I said I'd NEVER do...bought a bolt action hunting rifle with a muzzle brake (it's removable & has a thread cap that's equally weighted for woods use). Brake will be nice on the range sessions.....especially when working up loads I've reloaded for it. I'll be using some light-for-caliber Barnes bullets to further take the sting off the shoulder on prolonged shooting sessions.

* Pistol (1911 guns mainly). I've really been working on my grip and it's made a tremendous improvement in my shooting, my comfort and my control. It works in either hand. I'm right-handed, but can swap to left and adapt....remaining right-eye dominant. I'm spending some time in each session doing this. Wasn't a major change in terms of the adjustments required.....but great results resulted.

Some of the grip adjustments can be seen here (hopefully the video will link)

https://youtu.be/u1raEqDT3X0

Like I said...very basic stuff that translated over to better comfort & control which helps me with accuracy. High grip, riding the thumb safety, other thumb forward ability for off hand and primary gripping into side panels with offhand fingers pressing down on primary fingers........nice integrated grip.

Elbows retain slight bend and this is a change for me. They absorb the recoil vs it being directly transferred back to shoulders as had been the case with my prior stance using arms more fully extended.

Retaining that slight elbow bend also helps my 51 year old eyes pick up the sight picture much better. I've also taken to carrying commander sized 1911 as my primary carry guns. For me...there's a huge difference in that small 3/4" length change. Also carries easier, too. More comfort in the IWB and that shorter length leaves less poking down below the belt in OWB leather, too. An untucked golf shirt or some long t-shirts cover the holsters nicely.

* Hunting revolvers...have taken a backseat some...shooting .44mag hunting loads is something that I've backed down on in terms of practice. Reloading will help me come up with some lighter range rounds that are fun to shoot and I can adopt some of my grip changes to the wheelguns, too.

* Hunting semi-autos...have been of great interest in hopes of being easier on my body for range sessions and chambered in a cartridge that is capable for deer & hogs. I bought a couple 10mm 1911s that I am chomping at the bit to get tested out, broken in and hunting/carry loads worked up for. Leaning heavily towards 180gr Hornady XTP over a healthy dose of Blue Dot to push close to 1,300 fps.

* Carry guns.....these are what I shoot the most on range sessions. I recently bought another solid quality commander length 1911....in 9mm. I'm very excited to get this thing range tested, broken in properly and in a carry holster. I think that prolonged range sessions with this gun will be a joy. All steel frame, checkered front strap, aggressive grips and checkered mainspring housing.....the gun anchored in hand beautifully before I adopted my recent grip & stance changes....now it's even better. It' one of those "where have you been all my life ?" situations. Hope she breaks in well and proves solid and trustworthy.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 AM

I'm having a bunch of trouble with osteo-arthritus in both my thumbs, particularly in my master hand, but it has not affected my shooting yet, and I almost 63. You guys are scaring me.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:41 AM

As they say “Growing old ain’t for sissies”.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
I'm having a bunch of trouble with osteo-arthritus in both my thumbs, particularly in my master hand, but it has not affected my shooting yet, and I almost 63. You guys are scaring me.
I find some guns to be uncomfortable to shoot. It's not so much an age issue yet, as I am only 41, but more a design issue.

Any 1911 that has a hump on the back of the beavertail, seems to hit a nerve in my hand. Oddly the 9mm RO with the hump does not. Age will get us all one day. Anything that keeps shooting, is worth it.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Dub, I applaud how you have taken your situation and making it work. We all have hurdles but yours are high. I wish you well!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:58 PM

Dub

I will recommend ice tea no sugar . I call it dirty water , and the big thing that
some how works wonders , and you can buy it by the case at Costco . Monster
Energy zero ultra , in the white and silver can . Zero Calories , Zero Sugar .
Tastes like Sprite . I'am 51 my history is broken pelvis , broken wrists , broken
hand , Broken jaw , broken nose , Broken ribs , you name it its scared . My knees
plain suck . Monster zero ultra is magic in a can . I drink one a day whenever the
energy starts running low that could be 10 am or 2 pm and it gives me a new look
on life .

Getting old is about working like you did at 30 . While over coming pain
like a champion , without bitching about it , because know one would listen
to you complain anyway . If my grandpa could work on a farm till he was 95
and seemed to have the energy of 2 men of 30 years old . I got no problems
compared to him .

Bill