Is this the era of the cheap polymer 9mm pistol? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Is this the era of the cheap polymer 9mm pistol?

I have been noticing the sheer number of sub 3 to 4 hundred dollar polymer receiver 9mm pistols for sale in Free America.

Only a few are available on roster in California.

I was wondering if you people in Free states are just buying them to add to your collections - since like in the era of cheap C&R weapons in the 80's - it doesn't seem to last.

I don't recall pistols made by reputable manufacturers selling so cheap before.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM

It is surely much easier to mold a plastic frame than cast and machine one from metal. I think that's why you've seen the transition to polymer frames. It is CHEAP for the manufacturers, which means more profit from each pistol.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 AM

This maybe the ERA of not only cheap 9mms But me thinks this is the ERA of CHEAP JUNK.

Personally however I just can't stand cheap junk. Much rather have fewer quality nicer things than safes or drawers full of cheap junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Perhaps it is the era of not paying more than a polymer pistol is actually worth? I dunno, my EDC Taurus PT111 G2 has been flawless and is available for 'about' $200 most places.

I think it's great that without breaking the bank VERY competent firearms are available to all of us on a budget that formerly was limited to HiPoint or Saturday Night special junk.

Those who feel they prefer to spend a LOT for a good handgun, still have plenty of opportunities to do so as well. Though in truth there isn't more "raw material" or manufacturing cost in a Sig P365 than my Taurus, but there is an advertising expenditure difference and 'perceived' quality distinction.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by RandyP; 11-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:35 PM

It could be that a lot more people are looking to carry. Some aren't big gun people and just want a reliable, light, easy to carry sidearm for concealed carry. Others are gun people, but they also want a reliable, light weight, carry gun they can not worry about sweating on, scratching up, or if they need to use it, having it locked up in an evidence locker.

There is cheap and there is inexpensive. Also, since the last scare/shortage manufacturers ramped up production and there is a surplus of the guns available. Same thing happening in the AR market. When ARs were the latest, gotta have gun, a lot of companies got into the game and the ones already there ramped up production. Now shelves are full of ARs, used and new and trade in/purchase prices at gun shops are low.

There are a lot more Toyota Corollas, Nissan Versas, Hyundai, and whatever the US makers have for basic transportation, around than people in Mercedes, Beemers, Lincolns, etc.. And those vehicles are nice to drive and many have nice enough bells and whistles to satisfy most people. More people prefer something a bit more affordable that suits their needs and satisfies their pleasure purposes.

Yes, there is some junk out there. But for the most part there are a lot of solid, well performing polymer 9mms and other calibers doing just what they were made for and for prices below $500 even below $300.

Is a $30 Baofeng UV-5 on par with a Yaesu or Kenwood HT? Nope, but they are the gateway to a lot of folks getting their amatuer radio license and moving on later to better gear when they can or if they decide to stick with it. For some they are the only way they can get in the game.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 11-19-2019, 01:15 PM

I do not lump Glocks in the cheap plastic. I carried them on duty (dept. regs.) for 4 years. I was a range officer also & taught with them & learned they work every time & are accurate. We shot a lot of them & saw very few malfunctions.
The trend is to cheaper plastic rifles not ARs, but the rems. Rugers, winchesters, savages, mossbergs. It's a trend to cheaper manufacturing. We grew up with blue steel & walnut. The younger gens. Want cheap affordable.
It's a whole different era!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
I do not lump Glocks in the cheap plastic. I carried them on duty (dept. regs.) for 4 years. I was a range officer also & taught with them & learned they work every time & are accurate. We shot a lot of them & saw very few malfunctions.
The trend is to cheaper plastic rifles not ARs, but the rems. Rugers, winchesters, savages, mossbergs. It's a trend to cheaper manufacturing. We grew up with blue steel & walnut. The younger gens. Want cheap affordable.
It's a whole different era!
You may be giving the younger crowd too much credit. I suspect they want the plastic stuff because it's what shows up most often in video games.

Not that any of us dinosaurs were ever influenced by what we saw in the media. I know my decision to buy a S&W Model 29 was based purely on logical considerations, I keep telling myself.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
You may be giving the younger crowd too much credit. I suspect they want the plastic stuff because it's what shows up most often in video games.

Not that any of us dinosaurs were ever influenced by what we saw in the media. I know my decision to buy a S&W Model 29 was based purely on logical considerations, I keep telling myself.
Dirty Harry??????
Old 11-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
Dirty Harry??????
Sadly, yes. What can I say? I was a 17 year-old kid at the time. Now the only reason I keep it around is it was the first gun I bought with my own money, and I worked my a$$ off to get it. As for Dirty Harry... can't stand even to watch those movies anymore. Now, Sledge Hammer! is an entirely different matter...

But back to the OP's point... I think it's not a matter that so many people are buying $300-400 pistols as that the pistols aren't selling a lot better than ARs are selling and that to move inventory, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers alike are having to adjust to reality: It's a buyer's market right now.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:41 PM

There are lots of good inexpensive guns being made by manufacturers who've been in business a long time. The polymer world of Glocks and the like have proven themselves under fire...and under the numbers crunchers' gaze. Like new cars without a spare tire or an ignition key or an oil dipstick...that's just the way it goes. All that said, there are good reasons to stay with an all steel frame. Example, even if the gun malfunctions or you run out of ammo, you can beat someone to death with it more efficiently than with a plastic gun.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:57 PM

It certainly is, but not in the firearms menagerie in my safe.

I despise polymer and DAO triggers in any guise. I bought a single used 2nd generation. Glock 17 four years ago just so I could hate on the breed better. I experimentally shoot it but won't carry it, won't even acquire a holster for it.

I can live out the remainder of my days without suffering with carrying plastic pistols.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 PM

First look in the used pistol section in your LGS. There seems to be a growing number of used plastic pistols? Not me I’ll never buy one. The cheap price attracts people to upgrade. People seen to be trading in there 40 cal too? The 1911/45acp lives on.

They predicted in the past a expiration date of 40 years? On the plastic years ago. It’s not marked on the gun it’s life ? How many rounds before it may fail?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 11-19-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Lighter, less expensive, more rounds and fit a lot of people.
Poly pistols do not equal junk always, some are very good pistols.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Lighter, less expensive, more rounds and fit a lot of people.
Poly pistols do not equal junk always, some are very good pistols.
Also, sometimes more durable and replacement parts typically drop in and work without requiring fitting, although that's more a matter of what has been learned and implemented in product and process design over the decades than it is about polymer. But the polymer pistols have certainly benefited from the updates.

My polymer guns don't inspire my soul, but I bought them strictly in case I need to save my bacon.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:23 PM

Cheap polymer guns are taking over for exactly the same reason Honda and Datsun and Toyota took car sales away from Detroit. Customers look at price and practically nothing else (besides the paint color).
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Administrator

As pure working guns my polymer pistols are ideal. Lightweight, durable, reliable, and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg (in other words I don't own an H&K). But they hardly ever come out of the gun safe except to carry or to shoot. Nothing beats either my 1911s or my various cowboy guns for sex appeal, and if I suddenly had to start thinning the herd all the poly wonders would go first. But yes we definitely are in the era of the cheap polymer 9mm pistol. People may not realize it, but the low-cost ones (S&W SD9VE, Taurus G2C, SCCY CPX-2) outsell all of the supposedly better-quality ones including the Glocks.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 AM

"Not that any of us dinosaurs were ever influenced by what we saw in the media. I know my decision to buy a S&W Model 29 was based purely on logical considerations, I keep telling myself. "

LOL - My 1st ever gun purchase in 1971 was my Walther P-38 (which I still have) = The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was quite the popular TV show - lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Well, they are cheap and they work. Who cares if they don’t last for 15,000 rounds when I am willing to bet that the “average” buyer, picks one up, puts 50 rounds through it and never shoots it again.

The good news.....cheap puts a lot of guns in the hands. The bad news, cheap puts a lot of guns in the hands.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Cheap polymer guns are taking over for exactly the same reason Honda and Datsun and Toyota took car sales away from Detroit. Customers look at price and practically nothing else (besides the paint color).
And then they wonder why nothing is built to last anymore and all the good paying jobs disappear. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 AM

You can get quality in a polymer gun. A few years ago H&K dropped prices and they sell better now. Is an H&K anymore reliable or accurate than a Glock? Probably not but you can surely feel the difference in quality.

Also Polymer doesn't always start out cheap. I remember the Sig P2025 (I Think) came out at about $800. Then France ordered 50,000 and the price dropped. Then Sig released another Poly and the price finally bottomed at about $400.

Sig's P365 seems to be affecting the price of Shields and other low end polymers by making them less popular the prices are dropping. It doesn't mean they are cheap guns.

All that said deep down we all know H&K is the best.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:15 AM

In CA, the availability of affordable used handguns has pretty near dried up and the cost of living has soared. If you were a young man who wanted a handgun to protect his home without committing to steady diet of ramen noodles, plastic may be the best option(being a luddite, I'd be more inclined towards a CZ75 though)
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 PM

I do like blue steel or stainless the best. Age is showing here. But when it comes to carry, I do like the lighter, smaller idea. My carry guns go back and fourth between a J frame Smith and a Sig P365.
To me cheap means around $250 - $300.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 PM

Cheap junk has always been available.
Polymer pistols are not, and have never been, the only cheap option in a handgun. Many cheap pos handguns have been made since handguns were invented. Including in blue steel and walnut. I would contend that many of todays value oriented polymer pistols are head and shoulders above in quality compared to some of the past cheap and crappy metal and wood designs.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
In CA, the availability of affordable used handguns has pretty near dried up and the cost of living has soared. If you were a young man who wanted a handgun to protect his home without committing to steady diet of ramen noodles, plastic may be the best option(being a luddite, I'd be more inclined towards a CZ75 though)
And that cuts to the heart of the matter. Most people on boards like this are enthusiasts, so we don't look on firearms as just tools. But to someone who needs to make sure the money spent is going to result in something that works out of the box without breaking the bank in repairs and "upgrades" it's not a matter of pride of ownership. It's an appliance that just needs to work when needed.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Cheap junk has always been available.
Polymer pistols are not, and have never been, the only cheap option in a handgun. Many cheap pos handguns have been made since handguns were invented. Including in blue steel and walnut. I would contend that many of todays value oriented polymer pistols are head and shoulders above in quality compared to some of the past cheap and crappy metal and wood designs.
Well said! Show of hands who'd prefer a Bersa to an M&P?