SCOTUS to hear NYSRPA vs NYC on Dec 2, 2019 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM

SCOTUS to hear NYSRPA vs NYC on Dec 2, 2019

This case has the potential to launch an attack on many state & local 2A restrictions on self defense outside the home.

Here's the case docket:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/...ic/18-280.html
Old 12-02-2019, 06:48 PM

It was already reported to down play the case by saying “The law is no longer on the books.” RBG called the case “Moot”, because NYC claims they gave “everything to the plaintiffs “. ( my azz) . But Alito said it’s not moot and should be heard. Why these things take until June is beyond me...What positive ramifications are there beyond the obvious permitting NY residents to transport legally in /out of state?

Last edited by Plantar5; 12-02-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Here is the transcript of oral arguments thus far.
Read what they really said.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_ar...8-280_m64o.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
It was already reported to down play the case by saying “The law is no longer on the books.” RBG called the case “Moot”, because NYC claims they gave “everything to the plaintiffs “. ( my azz) . But Alito said it’s not moot and should be heard. Why these things take until June is beyond me...What positive ramifications are there beyond the obvious permitting NY residents to transport legally in /out of state?
Funny how the commies in NYC thought they could out maneuver the gun rights advocates. Clearly they were afraid of a SCOTUS ruling knocking down their law as unconstitutional so they retracted the law in hopes of getting it dismissed.

I suppose their secret intention was to put the law or one similar to it back on the books as soon as the dust settled. That is why it is important to have SCOTUS rule on the law, despite the fact that the legal controversy in NYC might be moot. The legal doctrine of that law is not moot, it's unconstitutional. A ruling declaring it unconstitutional will prevent other cities from enacting similar type laws.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Interesting that just the female justices were opining and playing ring around the mootness.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Funny how the commies in NYC thought they could out maneuver the gun rights advocates. Clearly they were afraid of a SCOTUS ruling knocking down their law as unconstitutional so they retracted the law in hopes of getting it dismissed.

I suppose their secret intention was to put the law or one similar to it back on the books as soon as the dust settled. That is why it is important to have SCOTUS rule on the law, despite the fact that the legal controversy in NYC might be moot. The legal doctrine of that law is not moot, it's unconstitutional. A ruling declaring it unconstitutional will prevent other cities from enacting similar type laws.
Besides a formal unconstitutional declaration, can scotus award damages or just recommend? Leaving them with having to go file a civil suit back in NYC?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:

They want to wait until the Dems win it all in 2020 and change the laws to allow packing the Supreme Court with extra judges (all liberals to be sure), then they'll put the law back in place.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:

"They" were right.
Squeamish people should never watch laws or sausages being made.

It's coming down to ---

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the licensed people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post

It's coming down to ---

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the licensed people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
NO, it's coming down to "People of the Govt" !! There will be no such licensing if the demoKrats take control.

Idiots all around us will let it happen too.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 AM

I have limited confidence in 2 or 3 of these overlords to actually do something positive in terms of restoring some measure of the 2A with a strong decision. We already know 4 of them don't even believe the 2A applies to individuals and we also know 1 of them is a squishy weasel who can't be trusted at all. I would not get my hopes up for anything positive.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
I have limited confidence in 2 or 3 of these overlords to actually do something positive in terms of restoring some measure of the 2A with a strong decision. We already know 4 of them don't even believe the 2A applies to individuals and we also know 1 of them is a squishy weasel who can't be trusted at all. I would not get my hopes up for anything positive.
There it is.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
There is nothing stopping the state from altering the law they passed that reigns in the city.

The Gun Control groups want to keep this path of attack on Second Amendment rights available.

Just like their attempts to impose excessive taxes on ammunition.

They will use any method they can dream up to curtail the Second Amendment.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM

This is entirely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
There is nothing stopping the state from altering the law they passed that reigns in the city.

The Gun Control groups want to keep this path of attack on Second Amendment rights available.

Just like their attempts to impose excessive taxes on ammunition.

They will use any method they can dream up to curtail the Second Amendment.
Nor is there any law or other mechanism in place to prevent a sitting president from stacking the supreme court with more judges. Pocahattie has stated her intention to do just that along with doing away with the electoral college and the US Senate.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Nor is there any law or other mechanism in place to prevent a sitting president from stacking the supreme court with more judges. Pocahattie has stated her intention to do just that along with doing away with the electoral college and the US Senate.
Well, POTUS had this good chance during 2017-2018 years when all 3 were ran by the GOP! But ooops, f'd up that chance by waiting too long.

POTUS Trump is good, just not 100% savvy enough to make these type of maneuvers when he has/had the chance!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:56 PM

With the speculation above that not much more will come from this for 2A even if the SC ruled, it might be better if SC declares this case moot (if) the NYC plaintiff's did get what they want from the change of NYC law (I am not cognizant of all the details), and (if) the SC moves right onto the NJ-Carry case which has been in their "queue" since last January or so...Without a 2A home-run likely with the NYC case, rather than wait many month's for a ruling, lets get on to the NJ case which is much more significant and in the hopes of a 2020 ruling. Otherwise NJ will have no chance till at least 2021 (for a ruling).

Last edited by combat auto; 12-03-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The case will be heard in June. Maybe by then, that old hag, RBG, will go on her long deserved retirement.

The balance will then be 3 to 5, libs to conservative if the seat isn't filled by then.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Here, have a laugh.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211116834
Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

FDR wanted to pack the SCOTUS after it declared many of his orignal 'New Deal' programs unconstitutional.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Well, POTUS had this good chance during 2017-2018 years when all 3 were ran by the GOP! But ooops, f'd up that chance by waiting too long.

POTUS Trump is good, just not 100% savvy enough to make these type of maneuvers when he has/had the chance!
They didn't f up anything. They never wanted to do any of the things they said they would. It was all about keeping their cushy jobs, they never meant any of it. That's why the Dems took the house back, and the republicans earned it. They got what they deserved. The Paul Ryan's are no better than the liberals.

Actually. He did keep some stupid gun bills from even coming to the floor. Remember that? When the Democrats were parked on the house floor whining and he shut off the lights and locked the bathrooms and all that? So I guess he's a little better than the libs.....but only slightly.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I am POed as hell that a minority in the Senate--a body already so un-democratic that half the members can be elected by about 8% of the population*--can stymie anything the majority wants done
Yeah, we know you are. You're also "POed" that a simple majority can't pick the president. Boohoo. That's exactly why they were put there. To "stymie anything the majority wants done."

The house and the Senate are filled the way they are for a very important reason. Get over it snowflakes.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
. Republicans have established that the rules no longer mean anything, no reason not to change them to undo the damage Trump is doing.
Have these people been watching the same game we all have for the last ten plus years? They are so delusional it's scary

It just goes to show ya, they are as entrenched as we are. There won't be any coming together anytime soon. That's for sure.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Have these people been watching the same game we all have for the last ten plus years?
No! They...and particularly the DU folks...live in a leftist bubble. They listen to leftist media, socialize with leftist friends, and suckle at the tetes of their leftist overlord masters.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 AM

OK, so this is the end of day 2, and based on the previous posts for today, it appears that nothing happened in the Supreme Court today, regarding this case?? I've been busy and missed most of today's news. Are they at least finished with oral arguments regarding this case and waiting to deliberate before having their vote?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
The case will be heard in June. Maybe by then, that old hag, RBG, will go on her long deserved retirement.

The balance will then be 3 to 5, libs to conservative if the seat isn't filled by then.
You can't trust John Roberts, he screwed conservatives with Obama care. I can see him voting with the liberals just to play it safe with a 4-4 decision. We need Trump to replace RBG as soon as she flat lines.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
You can't trust John Roberts, he screwed conservatives with Obama care. I can see him voting with the liberals just to play it safe with a 4-4 decision. We need Trump to replace RBG as soon as she flat lines.
I couldn’t agree more on Roberts. Thats why Kavanaugh and Gorduch need to step up besides the other more conservatives in the court. Its a shame the case seems so narrow. For the life of me, i dont get what takes 6 months to decide this case. RBG aint goin anywhere, btw.