Opinions wanted on Vortex optic - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Opinions wanted on Vortex optic

So, after test-fire and barrel break-in, I finally got the Vortex 4.5-27x56 HD mounted on the new build. I really like the glass, however, I'm not crazy about the bronze/copper color of the body of the scope. In bright light the contrast is even more dramatic. I think the all-black Nightforce I have on my Armalite is much more aesthetically pleasing...at least to me. I know performance is the ultimate factor, and I'm probably just being ridiculous, but the truth is it just doesn't look right me. Wondering if anyone else here thinks this scope looks wonky on the rifle, and if I should either Cerakote some of the rifle parts (lower receiver?) to match the scope, or paint the scope black.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 AM

I don't see a problem, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't paint the scope on the off chance that down the road you decide to sell it, painted scopes seldom sell IMO
Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Ive seen several rifles painted to match that scope. They look very good to me. I have an AR308 I painted Burnt Bronze and am very happy with the look. If you look around on Vortexes website there's a few examples of AR's painted to match. Might be worth a look for you to help you decide. I do share your opinion on the look as it sits currently.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM
More Cowbell...

I have seen a few shooters have their rifles painted to match the funky colored scope.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 PM

I think the looks are okay. Is that pic taken inside your guestroom? I see an air mattress and a decanter. :-)
Old 11-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 PM

This is a trick question, right?
Old 11-16-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flynn View Post
<snip> I wouldn't paint the scope on the off chance that down the road you decide to sell it, painted scopes seldom sell IMO
Good point, Don. I certainly don't want to kill the resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
<snip> Is that pic taken inside your guestroom? I see an air mattress and a decanter. :-)
LOL yeah...well, nothing quite so fancy as a "guestroom". It's the man-room-within-the-man-cave...a spare bedroom in my apartment where I keep my workbench, ammo, guns and guitars. The mattress was there because my son crashed overnight after we got hammered drinking tequila and I hadn't bothered to deflate it yet. I don't have enough overnight guests to bother with a real mattress.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 11-16-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:00 AM

I dont mind the scope color. What’s the details on the rifle? If i had any suggestion, maybe cerakote the barrel black, this way you just have 2 colors going instead of 3...just a thought...Im not a stainless black 2 tone fan on any firearm...my .02.

Last edited by Plantar5; 11-16-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:58 AM

Performance... PERFORMANCE... PERFORMANCE... Any questions?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Its a tool to use, if you want matching looks for a safe queen to impress those who care, cant help. Plus, that shiny SS barrel and CF patterned forarm matches neither!

I have a bolt gun that is green patterned stock with OD green barrel and receiver with a much worse matching funky off OD green scope, still shoots just fine. Friend don't seem to mind and never had any one say, you need to match.

But, as FFL for years, I had numerous customers come in wanting to match exactly rifle, mounts, scope, sling, etc. and had a few that would walk away because the silver scope and rings didn't match and didn't match their SS barrel. That is what makes horse racing!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM

I will be the lone person to disagree....as soon as I saw the photo and didn’t read your comments, I thought “man that’s ugly. Just doesn’t look right.”

Hey...just being honest.....but I know it’s also kind of silly.

I am fine with both colors just doesn’t look good next to each other. If it were me, I would cerekote it but it’s such a nice color.

The gun is just too nice....too much thought into it to have the scope look like that.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
Its a tool to use, if you want matching looks for a safe queen to impress those who care, cant help. Plus, that shiny SS barrel and CF patterned forarm matches neither!

<snip>

Like I said, I'm probably just being silly. But I thought the rifle looked kinda sexy before I put the scope on it...

and now, well...its fu*king with me. Unfortunately my OCD is a curse.

My Nightforce looks like it was made for my Armalite

(yes, I'm shooting off a bag of deer corn while drinking a beer...#rednecksniper)

If I didn't get such a SMOKIN deal on Vortex products I'd swap it out for another Nightforce or something else. But, unfortunately, I'd pay twice the price for the same quality optic from any other company.

Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for the opinions, gents.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 AM

I would be afraid of that much weight on a glass topped table.

I like the contrast between the scope color and the rifle. I would leave it the way it is.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 AM

I say paint the scope if you want. Those who are worried about hurting the resale value of the scope forget 1 thing. A used scope has no resale value anyway. So what if it's been painted??
Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 AM

Who cares what it looks like. How's it shoot? Isn't that a Razor Gen II? Great scope. All that really matters IMO. My best glass is in the same color on my tan 6.5 CM.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:17 AM

Have it dipped with a carbon fiber pattern
Old 11-19-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I would be afraid of that much weight on a glass topped table.

<snip>
LOL, so would I. Its wrought iron mesh

Old 11-19-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
Have it dipped with a carbon fiber pattern
Can you dip optics?? CF would look trick!!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:14 AM

OK, rather than paint the optic, I decided to add some color to the rifle.

Duracoat Vortex Stealth Shadow
(July 2019's "Color of the Month" LOL).

I coated the cheek riser, bipod legs (lower only), forend and trigger guard

I know it wont be everyone's cup-o-tea, but the scope doesnt seem to contrast with the rifle as much now...at least to me. Plus, Ive been wanting to test the Duracoat-in-a-can stuff anyway.

Obviously not an exact color match as the Razor has more of an anodized finish,
but it blends much better with the scope than the carbon fiber...which was adding like a third contrast to the rifle. And the Duracoat aerosol kit was super-easy to use, although not nearly as precise as using an airbrush. I probably would not use this with stencils.

I realize, at the end of the day, a rifle is just a tool designed to do a job. However, so is a vehicle...and Ive seen folks dump an assload of money customizing their truck/car/motorcycle simply for "looks". Fortunately I did not have to sacrifice any function for fashion. &#x1f609;

Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 11-26-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Can you dip optics?? CF would look trick!!
They can......
Old 11-26-2019, 10:28 AM
More Cowbell...

Looks awesome. Let us know how it shoots.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Lookin" good!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 AM

That looks much better to me. Nice job.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM

I worked with a guy who put $2k in a 10/22, shook my head evertime he was so proud of his new gucci part.

Its your nuggets and popgun, do as you wish. I will admit I like green and when I do gucci up my toys, I also look for and order green.

Good job but how does it shoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
OK, rather than paint the optic, I decided to add some color to the rifle.

Duracoat Vortex Stealth Shadow
(July 2019's "Color of the Month" LOL).

I coated the cheek riser, bipod legs (lower only), forend and trigger guard

I know it wont be everyone's cup-o-tea, but the scope doesnt seem to contrast with the rifle as much now...at least to me. Plus, Ive been wanting to test the Duracoat-in-a-can stuff anyway.

Obviously not an exact color match as the Razor has more of an anodized finish,
but it blends much better with the scope than the carbon fiber...which was adding like a third contrast to the rifle. And the Duracoat aerosol kit was super-easy to use, although not nearly as precise as using an airbrush. I probably would not use this with stencils.

I realize, at the end of the day, a rifle is just a tool designed to do a job. However, so is a vehicle...and Ive seen folks dump an assload of money customizing their truck/car/motorcycle simply for "looks". Fortunately I did not have to sacrifice any function for fashion. &#x1f609;

Thanks again for all the input.