Breaking-In my ECP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM

Breaking-In my ECP

Picked up my first DW last week and couldn't wait to get out and try it. Wow. Just Wow. I put three hundred rounds down range today, and it hit exactly where I aimed it. I've never seen this kind of accuracy with a 4" barrel. The first 50 rounds were just me getting used to her. The nest 150 rounds went in a 3 1/2 group at 25 yards (shooting 50 rounds each into new targets). Again, this is the first 150 rounds through a brand new piece. Like I said before...Wow.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Congratulations. Sounds like you found a great one.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM

I like mine too; it's a 45. Yours a 9 or 45?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Mine is a .45. For some reason, I have a hard time spending this kind of money on a 9mm.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns90 View Post
Picked up my first DW last week and couldn't wait to get out and try it. Wow. Just Wow. I put three hundred rounds down range today, and it hit exactly where I aimed it. I've never seen this kind of accuracy with a 4" barrel. The first 50 rounds were just me getting used to her. The nest 150 rounds went in a 3 1/2 group at 25 yards (shooting 50 rounds each into new targets). Again, this is the first 150 rounds through a brand new piece. Like I said before...Wow.
I know the feeling my friend!

Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Well, this just sucks. I purchased an ECP second week of Sep. I've fed 650 rounds through it, 50 at a time, then clean and lube. It was flawless. Very accurate. I went to my favorite pistol-smith last Monday to give him my Kimber to service now that I had a reliable .45 to carry while it was in the shop. I told him of my new DW ECP and he wanted to see it. I showed it to him and pointed out that this gun had developed more scratches on the barrel than any other 1911 I'd ever owned. He told me that was because I had never owned a better built/tighter fit gun before. While I was there, he polished up the barrel and gave it back to me at no charge. Looked great! I took it home and stuck it in my safe.

Today, I received the Kramer holster that I had made for it. After admiring it a bit, I strapped it on and went to get my ECP to see how the fit was. Great! I decided to practice some draws, to see how well it worked, so I cleared the gun (I always store them loaded), and the second time I drew and dry-fired, when I went to wrack it, it locked up solid. Can't get it to move alt all. It locked up about 3/8 of an inch back from full forward.

In 40 years of owning 1911's this is the first one to ever do that to me. Guess I'll be carrying my 9mm till I get this back to him. I know, **** happens. It just sucks when it happens to me!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 PM

So the only difference was the gunsmith polishing the barrel ?

Gun has been re-lubed since gunsmith work ?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:17 AM

Curious what you find as to what is causing the new issue of locking up. Odd that it was flawless for 650 rounds, then locked up after some smith polishing. Could the smith have left some polishing compound/residue on the ECP that changed tolerances somewhere and bound up the gun? Was the gun broken down and cleaned after the smith worked on your gun?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM

The gun had been broken down and cleaned/lubed two days before he polished the barrel. When he gave it back to me it was literally oozing lube. I racked it a couple of times at the gun shop when he first gave it back to me, brought it home and placed it in the safe, then two more racks yesterday when I drew it for testing out the holster. I had not re-cleaned it because I was awaiting some Novak sights to arrive. When I receive the sights, I was going to take it back to him and have him install the sights, a short trigger, Crimson Trace grips, and an ambidextrous thumb safety that I also just ordered from DW in duty finish. This was going to be my go to carry gun. It's just hard for me to understand how this happened from only racking the slide four times. Confidence in the gun is lacking now. I've had 1911's for 45 years, and nothing like this has happened before. I consider myself a little like Tom Cruz in Days of Thunder, I can drive the daylights out of a 1911, but I don't know how to work on them. You guys think that I ought to take it back to him, or send it in to Dan Wesson? We are extremely limited on gunsmiths here in Connecticut.

Last edited by guns90; 12-03-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Now this is weird. I'll be very interested to know the outcome.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Breaking-In my ECP

Did the slide get stuck as you racked it? Or on the way back? Is the barrel still fully locked into the slide or is somewhere between itís up and down travel?

Magazine out? Chamber Empty? I would be tempted to get the rubber mullet out and get it unlocked to break it down and check the recoil assembly and barrel link.

Can you please clarify polishing the barrel? Which part was looking so bad that he decided to polish it?
Old 12-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Okay, gun fan111, it got stuck on the way back, the hammer is cocked. The barrel is pretty much locked into the slide. The barrel has no movement and is sticking out of the end of the slide ~3/32 an inch. The guide rod is sticking out ~3/8 inch. Magazine is/was out, and chamber empty. I took the palm of my hand and lightly struck the back of the slide a few times to see if I could jar it loose, it didn't work. I do have extremely small movement front and back on the slide, and I'm talking a mm or two. The barrel was polished because when I showed the smith and asked him if this scoring was excessive, he said that I just wasn't used to such a well-built gun. The actual scoring was long-ways on the top and side of the barrel at the butt end, and several scored marks around the perimeter of the cone, starting about a 1/2 inch away from the muzzle, covering at least 3/4 inch down the cone. There were a lot of score marks visible on the barrel through the ejection port with the slide home. Let me also say, I don't work on my guns. I've shot then enough to know when they are right or something is a miss. If it isn't perfect to me, I take to a smith.

This is so disheartening to me. I saved to buy this gun specifically. It is, as far as I know, the only 1911 with a bobtail, 4" bull barrel, no MIM , and under 30 oz. I'm 5'4" and this is, maybe was, my dream gun, once I got the other things on it that I wanted. It's probably best to send it back to Dan Wesson and let them do their magic. So disappointing. I was so proud of this gun.

The real shame is I have been such a fan of Dan Wesson's for quite a while now. Now, if someone asks me what I think of a Dan Wesson, I have to honestly say, "It's the only gun that's ever failed me".

Last edited by guns90; 12-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Sounds like a jam that would result from an oversized round, which of course you do not have in your chamber. Have you tried the techniques of:
- holding the slide tight and slapping the back of the grip. This gives you better leverage than holding the grip and trying to slap the slide.
- pushing the top front of the slide against an edge of a table. Once again this holds the slide and you get more leverage applying the force to the grip.

Thanks for sharing the wear info. It actually sounds normal to me, for a tightly fitted 1911. I donít have as much experience shooting them as you do but own a few DWs and Les Baers that have a tight fit. They are all a bit different of course, but here are some examples I found in my pictures of the wear at muzzle and on the barrel hood.

DW muzzles

LB muzzles

LB barrel hoods

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:22 PM

What you are going through definitely sucks! I have seen some mixed experiences posted on this forum about DW customer service, but the one time I dealt with Keith he was willing to do what is necessary to make things right. If you call them, seek out Keith.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Thanks. Nice pics. My muzzle looked a lot like your first pic (only deeper scoring), and the barrel butt looked more like your 5th pic. None of my previous guns had this much scoring, but looking at your high-enders, I do feel better about the scoring on mine now. I'll see what Keith has to say, even if I get it loose myself, something is not exactly right, and I want that fixed. Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM

This EXACT thing happened to my 9mm ECP. Receiver froze partially opened. This after 400 rounds. Called Endre at Dan Wesson, he immediately sent me a shipping label. Had the gun back in a week. As I recall he smoothed out some burrs, polished the hole where the slide stop goes through the frame. So far it’s running fine, over 150 rounds later. Get hold of the guys at Dan Wesson..they will make it right. Also my barrel showed the same wear, told it is normal. I do run my ECP very wet.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Thanks, Thefielder. And yes, I run my 1911's very moist.