Considering a TAC Ultra FS 10mm......could use some owner advice... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Considering a TAC Ultra FS 10mm......could use some owner advice...

Hello all.

I've been considering adding a 10mm 1911 for a while now.

Kicking around different models and different ideas.

Primary use will be a woods gun....maybe kill a hog or two and hopefully a deer this coming season.

It's a costly proposition as I'd need to get dies and components for reloading in addition to the gun itself.

I really like the features on this model. I've grown to like fiber optic sights. The full rail is a nice feature as some added weight is welcome as is the ability to mount a light which is something I'll likely do on this one.

I'd also been considering a Springfield RO Operator in 10mm, too. I've got to admit to preferring bushing equipped guns. I've grown to not mind the bull-barreled bushingless guns like I used to, however. A recent bull-barreled commander has won me over....somewhat.

https://armscor.com/files/51914---TAC-Ultra-FS.jpg

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...ultra-fs-10mm/

Questions I had were:
  • RIA warranty....customer service ? How are they ? This would be my first RIA.
  • Recomended 10mm magazines. I run Wilson ETM;s in my 45 1911 pistols with excellent results, however I've been advised not to for this gun. Could use some suggestions at to what has worked best for you.
  • Front strap serrated or not ? Hard to tell from pics.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2019, 08:31 PM

Despite the enthusiastic replies here I went ahead and added this gun, my first Rock, to the meager 1911 stable growing in the gun safe. It'll get in there and join the litter mates from Colt, Springfield & Dan Wesson.

Hopefully it will run well and will do well in the woods.

Got the makings for break-in ammo and hunting ammo showing up daily.

One thing is for certain.....they had this thing well protected from rust-corrosion & anything short of the ship capsizing. No complaints from me. A liberally lubed weapon always makes for a good first impression in my case.

Gave it a good wipe down and the good first impressions continued. It's a sharp looking 1911 in my opinion.....all bidness.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Looks good-I have kicked around the idea of adding one also-maybe near tax time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 PM

I decided to go ahead and field strip it and finish getting off the preservative lube and then reapply some Kroil. Prior to the first range session I'll do another wipe-down to get any remaining preservative & Kroil off....then hit with some Weapon Shield oil and grease.

I don't normally keep grease on a 1911, but during break-in I've had good luck doing so....with the expectation there are going to be some possible feed issues.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the label on the slide.....but I don't object. It's not a billboard.

I really like the front fiber optic. Not sure how long the rear white dots will remain. I'm probably going to black them out after a range session....trigger time will tell. I do like the lower profile look of the rears....not the long monsters that I've had on other 1911 pistolas.

Everything blended on the rear of frame & slide. No proud extractor. Looks good to me.

Same can be said on the other end. Everything is finished off nice and even in regards to slide & frame.

Menacing looking bidness end for certain. Too bad the hood wasn't murdered out like the rest of the barrel.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post

Thanks.

I hear ya on tax-time.

This was actually a birthday gift.......from self-to self.

It's the first 10mm 1911 I've owned. Had a G20 years ago and killed a couple wild pigs with it...never got on any deer with it.

It became a trusted fishing gun as some of the spots I'd go were home to gators, too. Never had to use it on them, but glad to have it on the hip.

I lost interest with Glocks and other semi-autos in general.....with the sole exception to 1911 pistols. I prefer them to all other styles. Heck....even my most often carried pocket pistols is a mini 1911-ish 9mm.

i used to cringe over non-bushing barrel guns.....but you get used to them fairly easily.

They can test your patience ......and eyesight at times, though.

This sucker, for instance, has the takedown assist hole positioned way, way back on the guide rod.

It took some fishing around with the required paper-clip to get in there.

Handling the frame let me quickly feel & appreciate the extra heft up front. Even if didn't plan on using a light (which I will) the gun has a nice barrel weighting. Gonna be grateful for it on long range sessions, I'm sure.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 PM

These have to be the brightest dang white dots I've ever had on gun.

I'm either gonna love 'em or hate 'em.

The add-on magwell is gonna stay, too. Smooth edges with nothing to hang up on.

Smooth magazine insertions with the factory magazine as well as a WC ETM that I pulled out of my carry gun and tried....buttery smooth with it.

No objections whatsoever to this useful enhancement.

Back together with ease.

Even with the extreme rearward takedown assist hole this thing is actually very easy to field strip and reassembly was a piece of cake.

The spring is under dang near full compression with the paper clip in place.

The paper clip trick is easy enough....now that I know how far back it is.....just rack the slide, lock in place and then look almost to the reverse recoil plug.

I believe Dawson Precision makes what they call a "tool-less guid rod" made for the 5" Springfield TRP full rail model. I wonder if it work work in this model ?

Anyway...I anticipate no problems simply using the paper clip.

Barrel link behaved with gravity and the recoil stop fit securely, but didn't fight me.

Back together and passed the fit & finish test as far as I'm concerned. I'll get some pics of the internals when I hit with grease & lube prior to range session.

No burrs or objectionable tool marks anywhere that I could see. The feed ramp looked smooth.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Pistol case and Wilson Combat 47NX magazines arrived.

So did the case gauge, 400 cases, 500 rds break-in & 500 rds range bullets. Powders & primers already here as well as a few hundred Hornady XTP 180gr hunting bullets.

Waiting on dies, conversion kit & dedicated toolhead w/ powder measure.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:55 PM

New stuff arriving....
Old 10-31-2019, 05:10 PM

Well Heckit!!

Now I want one!

Very nice set up.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 PM

I have the MS and only shoot full power loads.
I likes mine ALOT.
For giggles and yes I know its only the extractor holding it in place. But Ive on occasion put a few hundred 40s through it.
Shoots them just fine too. Leaves little brass ding on the rear of the slide sometimes but no blown out cases in 40 yet........
Old 11-01-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ119 View Post
Well Heckit!!

Now I want one!

Very nice set up.

Thanks. Iím looking forward to getting some rounds loaded and sent through this monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysGone View Post
I have the MS and only shoot full power loads.
I likes mine ALOT.
For giggles and yes I know its only the extractor holding it in place. But Ive on occasion put a few hundred 40s through it.
Shoots them just fine too. Leaves little brass ding on the rear of the slide sometimes but no blown out cases in 40 yet........

Cool.

I know some guys who do the same thing in their 10ís, too.

Nice to know itíll work if needed.

How well has your mid-size performed for you ?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Wow, the fitting is just impressive. I might get me a RIA sooner than later.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 PM

I used the discount coupon....applying it towards a pair of magazines. I think I have enough now to make range sessions run at a smooth pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Wow, the fitting is just impressive. I might get me a RIA sooner than later.
It feels solid....zero slop & play.

Locks up with barrel snugly in place.

I hope to get to the range soon and give it a good wringing out.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Despite the enthusiastic replies here I went ahead and added this gun, my first Rock, to the meager 1911 stable growing in the gun safe.
Nice pistol! Have you shot it yet?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 PM

That's a nice 1911, Dub!
I would love to try one of those. I like the full-length rail.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Great choice! I have the model with full dust cover, but no rail. The extra weight out front makes a real pleasure to shoot with full power loads. Mine has been 100% reliable and is more accurate than I am. Enjoy!!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Quote:
Despite the enthusiastic replies here I went ahead and added this gun, my first Rock, to the meager 1911 stable growing in the gun safe.
Nice pistol! Have you shot it yet?
Not yet, I’m afraid. Just got some break-in ammo for it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBallistic View Post
That's a nice 1911, Dub!
I would love to try one of those. I like the full-length rail.
Thanks. The weapon light is going to be nice having on it as a woods gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou View Post
Great choice! I have the model with full dust cover, but no rail. The extra weight out front makes a real pleasure to shoot with full power loads. Mine has been 100% reliable and is more accurate than I am. Enjoy!!
Awesome. Good to hear.

I’m hoping for great accuracy. The trigger is good and the heft of the gun + weapon light really adds stability.
Attached Thumbnails
252B5778-8BB1-4872-B79B-520872FDD0CD_1574313393407.jpeg  
Old 11-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Just got some break-in ammo for it today.
If you have time and the inclination, please post your thoughts after firing the pistol.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
If you have time and the inclination, please post your thoughts after firing the pistol.
Will do.

Picked up another new 10mm that I plan on shooting during my next range session.

It'll be cool to see how they compare to each other.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
This.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:17 PM

I bought the standard "Ultra" model a few years ago, https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/roc...ultra-fs-10mm/ with the standard dust cover mainly because of holster selection.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=502183

I did end up sending it back cause the barrel was getting worse but it came back with a new barrel and slide fitted. (they do excellent work, at least on mine)

I would strongly recommend fitting a flat bottom firing pin stop and installing a 26 lb mainspring to any 1911 in 10mm. Really does a lot to help tame the slide velocity.

When you start handloading for it, plan on ordering some Starline Brass as it is hands down the best. (IMO)
If you like velocity, use Longshot. (180 gr bullets at 1300+ f.p.s. is easy)
If you prefer accuracy, use Blue Dot. The load of a 180 gr bullet with 10.4 gr of Blue Dot is a well known accuracy load in the 10 along with throwing impressive fireballs.

I was so impressed with my first Rock I ended up getting a 6" Pro match.

I would also recommend checking out the 10mm forum. http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
Lots of good information and experience there on the 10.

Hope you enjoy your Rock 10 as much as I have mine.

Jeff

Gun Free Zones = Free Kill Zones
Old 12-02-2019, 11:19 AM

I've got a RIA 10mm 1911. I removed the mag well, just a preference. I got several mecgar magazines. It worked flawlessly with the factor mag, but at first the mecgars wouldn't feed. I basically took the mags out of the box, loaded them and went to my range. Someone here told me to leave the mags loaded overnight. No problems after that. When shooting "real" 10mm loads it would throw the brass ~20 yards and all over the place. No "real" problem but seemed excessive. I asked a friend who's the armorer for our local Sheriffs office about it. At his suggestion I put a 24 pound recoil spring in it. It still shoots flawlessly and deposits the brass in a small pile ~5 yards to the right rear.

Added. That is some awful goop/oil they come from the factory soaked in.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Questions I had were:
  • RIA warranty....customer service ? How are they ? This would be my first RIA.
  • Recomended 10mm magazines. I run Wilson ETM;s in my 45 1911 pistols with excellent results, however I've been advised not to for this gun. Could use some suggestions at to what has worked best for you.
  • Front strap serrated or not ? Hard to tell from pics.

I will answer all your questions when my 10mm MS Tac ll comes back from CS.
Sent out on their dime on Friday. 11/29
Front sight is loose after about 400 rounds. 300 of them being FULL power 10mm loads. I wont fire any of the weak crap. No fun.

2nd time around with RIA CS. 1st time last year. They replaced rather then fix my 9mm CS Tac ll. 10 days Sent newer upgraded version..........nice.