Getting real - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 10:12 PM

Getting real

Components are as hard to get as TP... Sportsman only had 1lbs and I got 1 per day... I did pick up small pistol Magnum primers, all they had left. You can use those in normal loads right? Just dial the load down a smidge?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 PM

Sportsman's Warehouse? If so, they're the last store I'd be using a a barometer for reloading components.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
Sportsman's Warehouse? If so, they're the last store I'd be using a a barometer for reloading components.
I did get an emails from online stores, Powder Valley was one that said they are limited and limiting people on orders. I looked at Midway, Brownells, powder Valley and their stock is very small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 01:05 AM

It's not going to get better, at least until after the election. Whether the increase in firearm, ammo and component sales is due to corona or another pivotal election year isn't clear to me. Or anyone else lol.

Personally I target a 2+ year supply of components and reorder when I am down to 1+ years. My last replenishment order was 4th quarter last year because the real run on supplies doesn't start until early in the election year. Maybe it was triggered earlier by the coronavirus.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:13 AM

According to several (reckless media) reports, there is growing unrest about people ďbecomingĒ desperate. I heard Little Rock will institute a curfew, Iím sure others will follow if they havenít already. Youíre darn right the shelves are emptying, and itís not the election (yet). As a byproduct, we may even get a few anti gunners to change their views when it comes to protecting themselves and their families. This event may open some eyes.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 AM

Been stocking up when I would find good deals, free haz mat etc for a long time. No worries and it will last forever when stored correctly. Learned long ago get while the gettin is good...
Old 03-17-2020, 10:54 AM

Only thing I was short of was sppm primers and I've fixed that...
Old 03-17-2020, 11:10 AM

Gee, having 85,000 rounds laying around the house does not seem so odd any more.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:28 AM

I think we are creating our own "shortages". I have seen the "Powder/Ammo shortage?" threads on a couple other forums too. So some reloaders think "I gotta get mine before someone else get it all", then they run out and buy more than they need, creating an artificial shortage. Someone, somewhere screamed "We're gonna run out of TP, gotta buy mine for a year's supply" and now the TP shelves are bare nationwide. Looks like the same is happening with ammo and reloading components...
Old 03-18-2020, 06:41 AM

My buddy showed me a picture of his safe. He had taken all the guns out and shoved all of his hoarded toilet paper into it! Funny at the time......
Old 03-18-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
Gee, having 85,000 rounds laying around the house does not seem so odd any more.
Jeeze man.......youíre gonna get in trouble.
The law out there says no more than one partial box of 50, per year, per household.
If some doofus found that out, youíd be flagged and there would be copters flying around your house.
Or, all the gangbangers would just break in and take it!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:36 PM

If some anti-gun nut looked at my stash they would think I was going to start WW III! I like handloading and I have a bunch of handloads of different loads for all 17 of my guns. Plus I keep a supply of "Just in Case Ammo" reloads, running about 1,000 rounds each (9mm, 45 ACP, 30-06 Garand, and a bunch of Red Army 7.62x39).
Old 03-18-2020, 12:45 PM

Its great isn't it!!
My reloading area has to remain locked when my wife's daughters come over.
They about crapped a brick when they looked at the stacks of ammo and primers. They have forbidden the grandkids from going to the end of the hall because that part of the house could explode at any minute. Maybe I should tell them to disregard all of the smokeless powder on the top shelfs of several closets throughout the house!!
Old 03-18-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Its great isn't it!!
They about crapped a brick when they looked at the stacks of ammo and primers. They have forbidden the grandkids from going to the end of the hall because that part of the house could explode at any minute. Maybe I should tell them to disregard all of the smokeless powder on the top shelfs of several closets throughout the house!!
Wow, your house sounds like my house.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:27 PM

Even though Trump won I have still been stocking up a little at a time for the last 3.5 years. I will never have enough LOL but I'm still well stocked up.

I can ride out this panic. Hopefully......
Old 03-18-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Even though Trump won I have still been stocking up a little at a time for the last 3.5 years. I will never have enough LOL but I'm still well stocked up.

I can ride out this panic. Hopefully......
Same here because someday a dem will get in the WH again
Old 03-18-2020, 03:11 PM

I am with you fellers.

I try to keep at least a couple of extra magazine loads around. You know, just in case!
Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 PM

I got into a panic a month or so ago because I could only find 11k LPPs in my storage locker!

Thank goodness I found another 5k box was in the back of my closet.
Paul
Old 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM

I lucked out and bought 10k each of boolits and LPP, plus 8lbs of Unique a couple months ago. I shoot every week, so am 30% thru all that. Am willing to bet some primers have been sold out since then, and pistol powders are also in short supply.

I just got back from shooting at my local, indoor range/gunstore. There weren't many people shooting, but the store area was crowded w/ people buying guns and their allocation of ammo (one box per purchase). Crazy.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-18-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I think we are creating our own "shortages". I have seen the "Powder/Ammo shortage?" threads on a couple other forums too. So some reloaders think "I gotta get mine before someone else get it all", then they run out and buy more than they need, creating an artificial shortage. Someone, somewhere screamed "We're gonna run out of TP, gotta buy mine for a year's supply" and now the TP shelves are bare nationwide. Looks like the same is happening with ammo and reloading components...
You're spot on. It seems that no opportunity is ever missed to prove how very disappointing, in general terms, people can be!!!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:14 PM

As of last Friday my local supply store was well stocked with components. I picked up 2k primers as I figured I'd have a bit of time on my hands. Plenty of brass to process, decent supply of bullets, and good supply of Bullseye on hand.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Its great isn't it!!
A friend, and fellow shooter, once saw my 45000 LPP’s and thought I was a little off; probably doesn’t now. I bought them over the past six years - no panic buying. Now they’re all but gone until some replacements arrive in the brown truck.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.

Last edited by july19; 03-18-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 PM

Iím OK. Have about 60K primers, 50# of powder and at least 10K bullets on hand. Bullets are easiest to replace. Probably 15K loaded rounds on the shelves. At least 20K empty brass.
Pays to stay ahead of the winds of change.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoAndrew View Post
As of last Friday my local supply store was well stocked with components. I picked up 2k primers as I figured I'd have a bit of time on my hands. Plenty of brass to process, decent supply of bullets, and good supply of Bullseye on hand.
Swing by at about lunch today and give us an update.
Five full days of panic can wipe any stores stock out.
Itís actually a good opportunity for manufacturers (even food companies) to see whatís left that nobody wants......
Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I did pick up small pistol Magnum primers, all they had left. You can use those in normal loads right?
Why would you empty the shelves buying something you didn’t know for sure you could use?