MK II Fixed Sights Opinions - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 09:42 AM

MK II Fixed Sights Opinions

Hello all, I have an FN MK II old police import that is in fairly good shape, but the sights as ya all know are atrocious! To boot, my front sight is slightly bent. I already contacted my local smith and he can/will machine the dovetails for whatever sights I buy.
So, my question is; what is the forums opinions on good, low profile fixed night sights? Any picture examples of your recommendations would be fantastic!
Thanks
Old 03-15-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Vinnie View Post
Hello all, I have an FN MK II old police import that is in fairly good shape, but the sights as ya all know are atrocious! To boot, my front sight is slightly bent. I already contacted my local smith and he can/will machine the dovetails for whatever sights I buy.
So, my question is; what is the forums opinions on good, low profile fixed night sights? Any picture examples of your recommendations would be fantastic!
Thanks
Novak is a good choice.

Heine are going to be taller front and rear.

A good smith who knows what they are doing can use just about any 1911 you want.

Yost custom sight

Harrison 1911 sight installed by Don Williams

Business End Custom 1911 sight installed by Don Wiliams

Old 03-15-2020, 10:39 AM

You've just seen examples of the very best sights on the planet. If I may, the first set, Novaks, will do all the work for you. Just send them your slide. The others he posted were installed by some of the very best pistol-smiths in the world. Keep that in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
You've just seen examples of the very best sights on the planet. If I may, the first set, Novaks, will do all the work for you. Just send them your slide. The others he posted were installed by some of the very best pistol-smiths in the world. Keep that in mind.
A U notched Harrison Retro with a matching front post would be a cool look.

Harrison also has lots of options that use a Novak cut.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/rear...ovak-style-cut

Last edited by rellascout; 03-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
If this is the same Cousin Vinny who posts over on the 1911adicts forum then he knows 1911 smiths. I post over there as well under WVsig.

A U notched Harrison Retro with a matching front post would be a cool look.

Harrison also has lots of options that use a Novak cut.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/rear...ovak-style-cut
Thanks for responding, but there must be another Cousin....I'm Cousin Vinnie and it looks like your guy is Cousin Vinny.....
Old 03-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for responding, but there must be another Cousin....I'm Cousin Vinnie and it looks like your guy is Cousin Vinny.....
Yeah I realized. Recommendations still stand.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:02 PM

I've got the small Harrison retro rear on 4 different 1911s. I love that sight! You can use many different front sights with it and the gun will still look period correct. However, I also love all of the sights on Rellascouts's guns. I've got a LW Commander (1970ish) being built by Greg Derr right now with the Heinie rear and the Yost front sight.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 AM

I finally sent my Israeli surplus MKII to Novak's. I dropped the slide off at the post office on Thursday of last week, (March 26), shipped Priority Mail. I got the slide back yesterday (Friday, April 3). They only had the slide in the shop for two business days before returning it.

I really like the Novak sights. I got standard Tritiums for the rear. For the front, I got Tritium with the orange outline. The color of the glow of the front sight is different from the rear, which would be great if needed for home protection in the dark. You can easily tell that you've got the sights lined up correctly (front sight in the middle!).

The only thing I don't like about the Novaks is they sit up higher than I like, but that's only an aesthetic issue. I wish the front sight were as low as "Harrison's 1911 installed by Don Williams" that @rellascout posted up above. Even so, that's a ~very~ minor quibble, and one about which I will spend zero seconds fretting.

Of course, I need to go shoot it to check POI vs POA.

Oh, I've been wanting to have this done for years now, after reading the posts here for nearly a decade. Glad I finally did it.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:59 AM

>>>...So, my question is; what is the forums opinions on good, low profile fixed night sights?...<<<

Old reliable HEINIE-- https://www.heinie.com/ ....EITHER/OR....NOVAK-- https://www.novaksights.com/

Take your pick. You can't possibly go far wrong with either choice(s)....and given the long-standing popularity of both...any competent gunsmith has probably got a lot of experience in retrofitting either to your pistol.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
>>>...So, my question is; what is the forums opinions on good, low profile fixed night sights?...<<<

Old reliable HEINIE-- https://www.heinie.com/ ....EITHER/OR....NOVAK-- https://www.novaksights.com/

Take your pick. You can't possibly go far wrong with either choice(s)....and given the long-standing popularity of both...any competent gunsmith has probably got a lot of experience in retrofitting either to your pistol.

+1. I have Classic and Mark II guns with both configs. Now you just gotta decide are you bowtie or blue oval guy.

Scott

Old Army Customs
Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 AM

My MkII has Heinie's. If I had to do it my HP's over again, they would all wear 1911 Novaks.

Last edited by GunsnRovers; 04-07-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 AM

Update.....I purchased the Novak HP MKIII Tritium front and rear sights and my smith is machining the slide to accept them. While he has my MKII, I am having it stripped and cerecoated, the mag disconnect removed, new springs installed and I ordered thin LOK G10 grips and hex head screws.
It's been about 3 weeks now, so I should be getting it back soon. Will post pictures as soon as I get it back.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Update.....I purchased the Novak HP MKIII Tritium front and rear sights and my smith is machining the slide to accept them. While he has my MKII, I am having it stripped and cerecoated, the mag disconnect removed, new springs installed and I ordered thin LOK G10 grips and hex head screws.
It's been about 3 weeks now, so I should be getting it back soon. Will post pictures as soon as I get it back.
I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsnRovers View Post
My MkII has Heinie's. If I had to do it my HP's over again, they would all wear 1911 Novaks.

Just curious. What don't you like about the Heinie sight? IMO, they fit the HP very well. Sleek and functional just like the pistol itself. Elegant.

JW
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 AM

I'm curious.....if competent gunsmiths find some replacement sights (take your pick of any of the above or others) for the Hi Power (specifically) more / less difficult to machine and install than others ?? Mark II or Mark III ??
Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 PM

HP Redone

Here is my 1988 FN MKII Israeli Police Trade in. I had the lanyard loop removed, the slide milled for MKIII Novak night sights, cekoted, new springs and LOK thin G10 grips with hex head screws.I am very pleased with the outcome and it wasn't that expensive done by my local smith.
Attached Thumbnails
HP Redone a.jpg   HP Redone.jpg   HP Redone b.jpg   HP Redone c.jpg   HP Redone d.jpg  
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:

SOME LOCAL SMITHS talk better than their work. & they have only one chance to get it right - I learned this the hard way.
I prefer the NOVAK sights myself. They are on my favorite pistols, this helps crossover target acquisition.
I would have them do the install - never heard of them doing a bad job.
good luck, C.

Last edited by crasig; 06-04-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:44 PM

>>>...SOME LOCAL SMITHS talk better than their work...<<<

Acknowledged.....but as with all things, the term "..caveat emptor.." applies.

The operative adjective is "..competent..". If ya' don't know the 'smith and their work, then go with a well known entity like Novak, C&S, Heinie, etc.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I'm curious.....if competent gunsmiths find some replacement sights (take your pick of any of the above or others) for the Hi Power (specifically) more / less difficult to machine and install than others ?? Mark II or Mark III ??
Heine's can be an issue because some people do not like the way they hang off the back is bit. Getting them to fit flush with the frame can cause the sight to be set too far forward IMHO. Novak is a pretty straight forward cut most people know how to do. I would say that getting a Bomar cut or a LPA is going to be a bit more rare these days than a Novak or even Heine which could cause issues with an inexperienced smith.

In reality any decent smith should be able to mill a dovetail into a slide without messing it up. Everyone always blames the smith but if you talk to a smith who does enough work and has done it for a long time they will tell you that there is a lot more variance in parts then people think. From run to run the dimensions or angles might vary. If you do not inspect the part and go for it with the "standard" cut it might not work out as expected. Sights with new dovetails are not drop in parts.

Even replacement sights into existing dovetails are not always drop in. Often they will still require a dovetail file I am told.

Last edited by rellascout; 06-04-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
Just curious. What don't you like about the Heinie sight? IMO, they fit the HP very well. Sleek and functional just like the pistol itself. Elegant.

JW
I like the Heinie's and there's nothing wrong with them. Two of my HiPowers wear them as well as my Colt Commander. But then I had 1911 Novaks (not the smaller HP ones they also make) installed on my Practical and I find that I prefer them.

1911 Novaks

Last edited by GunsnRovers; 06-09-2020 at 07:07 PM.