Surplus - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM

Surplus

What are everyone’s thoughts on surplus Hi Powers. There is a local armory selling a few mark II and III. Heavy holster wear but no pitting on a couple. I’ve always wanted one but is it worth buying surplus or should I just look for an FEG?
Attached Thumbnails
026AF0F3-74A4-45CA-B9A2-F2E3181C6AE5_1578622696722.png  
Old 01-09-2020, 08:45 PM

i am interested in this as well

I don't mind the well worn look, I am just leary of function and hammer bite.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:38 PM

OP, what is the price? Hard to tell if the price is high without knowing the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 PM

Around 450-500. The one in the pics is one of the better ones for sure
Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 PM

As a general rule (??) most of these surplus pistols have been '..carried..' a lot but '..shot..' a little.

Unless you're a H-P purist, then H-P '..clones..'--(FM, FEG, Kareem) are still fine choices.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Vinnie View Post
OP, what is the price? Hard to tell if the price is high without knowing the price?
This is not a bad price, especially for a true FN MKIII. If you are only going to shoot it and carry it, who cares about the finish, and you can have it refinished with one of the inexpensive finishes to boot. Maybe replace the springs and you're GTG!
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKSAIL View Post
As a general rule (??) most of these surplus pistols have been '..carried..' a lot but '..shot..' a little.

Unless you're a H-P purist, then H-P '..clones..'--(FM, FEG, Kareem) are still fine choices.

3 years ago I bought a surplus Mark III on GB.com (DOB 1991) from cdi.sales for $435.00

I took my time and shopped for over 4 months b4 buying one I thought would meet my approval. It looks like the one in the pic, but has less holster wear, no deep gouges, scratches or visual abuse indicators It appeared to have the carried a lot/shot a little style I was looking for.

Have had many range trips with it, and had zero problems.

I think the "pay a little more to get a good one" policy may hold true on these.

YMMV.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:02 PM

Last week I purchased an Israeli Surplus MKII from Mach-1 Arsenal for $470.00.
The pistol has some issues, such as;

-Does not pass the "click test" ie: the sear moves (a lot) when depressing the trigger
with the safety on.

- The firing pin stop came out in two pieces when I removed it to check the firing pin
channel.

- The rear sight looks like it was beat on with a hammer.

- The barrel crown is chipped pretty bad.

- My trigger pull gauge only goes up to 8lbs., I estimate about 9lb.

Other than that it's a fine piece!

The good news is, I am a self proclaimed "armorer level" Hi Power smith, and this is my 6th Hi Power, so I have lots of spare parts both new and used.

I figure within a week or so she'll be running like a swiss watch.

Last edited by eo1bart; 01-10-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:46 PM

I find this infinitely more interesting than a prettier, commercial gun that has zero history.

A Star Of David marked legit Israeli military pistol? Heck yeah.

And there's no way I would refinish it in any way other than adding to the existing wear with my use of the gun.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Were I given the choice - I'd prefer the MK II. As I do not like features & finish of MKIII.

At this point I only own FEGs + a stainless Tisas HP. I still can't afford the only FN HP I want.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:17 PM

I bought a used Tisas about a month ago and I've had problems with fired cases not extracting and jamming up the gun. I replaced the stock extractor with an OEM Browning extractor but I haven't had the chance to test fire it yet.

If you're willing to tinker and spend $$$ on parts, buy a clone. Otherwise, I think surplus is a better bet.

My .02
Old 01-11-2020, 12:40 AM

I have purchased over a dozen of the Israeli Hi Power imports, all different including T series, C series, MkIII, MkII, fifties production, Argentine, etc. Some I chose to have refinished some were in exceptional condition all are great shooters. (Some of the pistols shown are not Israeli imports but part of an ever growing collection).
Attached Thumbnails
0A5CC021-7A1D-47DB-85CF-0133598E4060.jpeg  

Last edited by Ibmikey; 01-11-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:08 AM

Im picking up a T series at my FFl tomorrow. I bought it from Mach 1 also. I will post a few pics and condition review as soon as I can. Purchase price for me was $500 +$30 shipping
Old 01-15-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
I have purchased over a dozen of the Israeli Hi Power imports, all different including T series, C series, MkIII, MkII, fifties production, Argentine, etc. Some I chose to have refinished some were in exceptional condition all are great shooters. (Some of the pistols shown are not Israeli imports but part of an ever growing collection).
Agree. Over the last decade, I have purchased 4 of the Israeli ( IDF ) surplus MK II. I buy the "select" grade and haven't had to touch them ( but I do replace the recoil springs). I just recently ordered another which will become a custom project.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 PM

I got one last year from Mach 1. Mk III from 1993. Just barley a hint of holster wear and no real scratches. Shoots great, already had the mag disconnect removed and I changed the recoil spring. Would happily buy another one if I could find one from 1983.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 AM

I found DWJ imports ( spun off when Cole’s closed the door) marks their imports on the barrel in tiny letters and unseen with the slide forward. When refinishing import firearms it is surprising how many import marks can disappear.