1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 09:52 AM

Agree.
Poor "bullet pull" and a steep ramp.
Does a S&W .45 have an integral ramp barrel?

My old Commander does quite well with XTPs.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Does a S&W .45 have an integral ramp barrel?
Mine doesn't. (Mine is the old-style 1911, with a grip-controlled firing-pin safety, set up to shoot 45 Super.)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Administrator

In the early days .45ACP cartridge cases had a heavy cannelure below the bullet to help prevent setback. Unfortunately virtually nobody does that anymore, and bullet setback is a big problem with semi-autos. Yours is one of the more extreme examples however, as usually it's just slight enough to notice after you've chambered the round a few times. Short, fat cartridges like the .380 and .45 are more prone to it than the 9mm, but it can still happen regardless. I wouldn't call it a defect in the ammo, the firearm or the mags, but rather a compatibility issue where apparently the round is fed straight into the side of your feed ramp instead of being allowed to tip up enough to ride up the ramp and into the chamber.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 AM

So what model 1911 was this happening in?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Here are three S&W's that haven't suffered from bullet set back. I primarily shoot 200 Grain SWC's that are cast from 10 BHN and "crimped" to .470!

I was attempting to show 3 different S&W variations!

Smiles,

Attachment 578076

Last edited by jjfitch; 03-24-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2Red View Post
Since I have reloaded .45 acp for years, it looks like the case still has a little flare to the case mouth. If this is a factory load then it appears to be a manufacturing error. I would contact the manufacturer and talk to them about it. Hope this helps.
Yes, it’s a manufacturing error due to the dies being set for 230 grain bullets rather than the shorter 185 grain bullets, so there’s nothing to prevent the bullet from sliding back into the case as the round is being fed into the chamber.

http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

Note: figure 3;

“ The potential for setback increases when you load a bullet that is significantly shorter than the bullet for which the expander die was designed. Figure 3 shows cutaways of three .45 ACP cases - the case on the left shows a 230gr FMJ bullet seated to the proper depth, the case in the center shows the expander mandrel fully inserted, and the case on the right shows a properly seated 185gr JHP bullet. The line across the three cases shows the depth to which the expander mandrel was inserted. You can clearly see that the while the expander depth is ideal for the 230gr bullet, it reaches deeper into the case than is necessary for the 185gr bullet, making setback very likely when using this bullet”
Old 04-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2Red View Post
Since I have reloaded .45 acp for years, it looks like the case still has a little flare to the case mouth. If this is a factory load then it appears to be a manufacturing error. I would contact the manufacturer and talk to them about it. Hope this helps.
Flair has almost nothing to do with the problem. It is generally one of inadequate resizing of the brass -- a manufacture problem. Contact them, they should replace your ammo with something done properly. Flair is simply to remove the bell put in place to make seating the bullet easier, you just take enough out to allow for reliable feeding, it is not the primary method for tension on the bullet.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
This is also a good read as to the different mag lip styles. The different magazine lips present the rounds to the feed ramp at differing angles and when combined with the ogive you selected drives the nose into the feed ramp with too little angle to safely deflect it into the chamber. Some ammo just stops the gun with a feed jam. Others like yours, result in a set back of the bullet into the case due to marginal crimp or neck tension of the case. Like a plane crash, its not usually just one thing gone wrong, but several. In your case its probably the bullet ogive coupled with poor crimp/neck tension for the mags your using and maybe the feed ramp is slightly steep.

https://rangehot.com/hybrid-vs-wadcutter-1911-magazine/
Good info, I will have to check my .45 ammo for type of ojive or cone bullet loaded.