Popular calibers sold out - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 11:19 PM

I stopped by my LGS today and bought two 50 round boxes of 38 Super +P from American Eagle at their regular price. They had plenty of ammo on the shelves.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well, when s*** happens those are the two things you'll need most.
And the people hoarding toilet paper obviously need it since they are full of s***
Old 03-25-2020, 12:45 AM

The last time we went through this ammo hysteria, the only thing I could find for 2 years at my LGS for handguns was an occasional box of .40 S&W, but that seems to be the hot caliber now. Go figure. For two years, the only gun I had for which I could reliably find ammunition was my .338 Winchester Magnum, but I sold it since I couldn't find a single YouTube video with a tactical expert operating with one in a home defense roll.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 AM

.338 Win mag in a self defense role.

While it is not a chambering that immediately comes to mind for this purpose. I see no reason why it would not authoritatively take a bad guy out of action. I actually have a rifle chambered for this round and am quite fond of it. With the Leupold M7-3X mounted on it. I view it as the cat's meow so to speak for close range heavy weight malcontents.

With this in mind. I will confess to not being in top form insofar as being quick on the draw with this gun. With this in mind, it often gets left behind when weapons selection comes towards what will be armament of the day.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:58 AM

On the upside...plenty of 50 BMG available.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
While it is not a chambering that immediately comes to mind for this purpose. I see no reason why it would not authoritatively take a bad guy out of action. I actually have a rifle chambered for this round and am quite fond of it. With the Leupold M7-3X mounted on it. I view it as the cat's meow so to speak for close range heavy weight malcontents.

With this in mind. I will confess to not being in top form insofar as being quick on the draw with this gun. With this in mind, it often gets left behind when weapons selection comes towards what will be armament of the day.
I squirreled away new Winchester super x 338 wm ammo when it was $24 a box of 20 rds. I put a bdc scope out to 500yds with no hold over. It’s very accurate, my only problem is I should of purchased a browning semi auto in 338wm. I never planned on getting older.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM

I reload .40 and .45 from my competition days. Not worth the cost to reload 9mm. Since I just ordered another 9mm 1911 I figured to order some more 9mm ammo. On Natchez all they had left was a case of Blazer (1000 rounds loose). Everything else was out of stock. I bought it.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I carried mine in an offset, drop-leg holster, tied down at the ankle. The conchos complimented the stainless action nicely. I had my draw time down to under a minute using a hand-over-hand technique.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM

with the self imposed quarantine I have been doing nothing but reloading.
I am almost out of brass...

But I have several full ammo cans in a few calibers - just to add the the stash...

Waiting for a day when I can go back to the range

Josh
Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Long as I can keep enough .41 Long Colt on hand I'm good.

Very nice!
“A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box,”– Frederick Douglass
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Pretty much all ammo is gone, except I can say the ''Boutique Round'' won out.

Last Sat I visited a local gun shop, where a guy there I know asked if I was looking for ammo. He said all of 22LR, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 223/5.56, 308 and 12 guage were all gone. I asked if they had some 10MM. The guy said they had a lot, FMJ and HP's.

I ended up buying 500 rounds of S&B 180gr FMJ for range use, and no the price per box wasn't all jacked up...still the same price.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:58 AM

I learn something every time there is a shortage. During the Obama years I had already started stocking up on all calibers a few boxes every week or so. I was in good shape on every caliber but 22 LR. I never in my life would have thought that I would be unable to buy a box of 22s. I learned from that.

I have plenty of powder, primers, bullets and brass to keep me busy for awhile.

I am not a hard core prepper but I have always tried to keep enough essentials to get through a few hard weeks if needed. Food, water and ammo have always been my priority. I guess I need to add paper towels and TP to the list.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 PM

On an island...

Here in the islands, 99% of the items we buy are brought in via boats.
Back in the 70's there was a labor union strike in California which halted shipments into the state. This is why people here go crazy whenever there are emergency situations. The most common and iconic panic-buy items are rice and toilet paper.

Yesterday there was a large earthquake just north of Japan.
The National weather service issued a tsunami watch, as the state is vulnerable to tsunami damage. People immediately ran out to stores like Costco trying to panic-buy supplies. Unfortunately all the stores are already wiped out due to covid19. The tsunami watch was cancelled within 2 hours.

Last week my club hosted a gun show and people were lined up out the door waiting to buy ammo. Gun sales are through the roof, but legal transfers are stalled by the state lockdown.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Just a quick thank you to all the macho types that won't shoot anything but 230 gr .45 ACP. Thanks to you NO ONE carries anything but 230 gr and even the manufacturers are scaling down lighter loads. That means that even 3 months ago, I couldn't get the ammo I wanted. Now there's a couple shops in town that still have .45ACP but guess what? ALL 230 gr.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Just a quick thank you to all the macho types that won't shoot anything but 230 gr .45 ACP. Thanks to you NO ONE carries anything but 230 gr and even the manufacturers are scaling down lighter loads. That means that even 3 months ago, I couldn't get the ammo I wanted. Now there's a couple shops in town that still have .45ACP but guess what? ALL 230 gr.
You are welcome sir If you have a mold come on over. I'm getting ready to cast some more boolits
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
You are welcome sir If you have a mold come on over. I'm getting ready to cast some more boolits
Be careful. I may call you out on that.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
No one here reloads? If shelves are bare load it. I keep enough factory defense ammo, but hunting & practice are reloads.
Lo, many years ago (maybe 15) when I first got into reloading, I followed the wise advice of a reloader (may have even been on this forum). He said he used to buy reloading supplies in bulk because it was cheaper that way. Then it became because "he didn't know when he might even be able to buy such supplies again!"

I feel 'naked' in terms of reloading supplies when my primer inventory drops below 50k, am at the bottom 1/2 of the various 8# powder containers, or at least 2k of the bullets in the various calibers. Brass? I own/operate a range that is open to the public, where 90+% of the shooters don't bother to pick up their brass!

With the current ammo shortage (3rd in 15 years?), I'm expecting more than a couple of signups for our upcoming metallic cartridge reloading class this summer.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:36 PM

I'd been slowly stocking up on reloading supplies over the last three years so GTG on all calibers I shoot.

Who's buying up all the ammo? New shooters? Seems like all the old hands had ample inventory already.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Ammo and Toilet paper, who would have made this connection? ;-)
That's because when the man-bun, skinny jeans wearing millennials fire their first gun they bought yesterday, they'll need plenty of toilet paper, because, well, you know....

Plus I'm sure it makes a good crying towel in a pinch.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 PM

Someone on one of the gun forums I frequent (maybe this one?) made a great point a while back.

Let's say that one of these desperate first-time buyers goes into a gun shop and the only thing left is a Baer, Wilson Combat, high-end Dan Wesson, etc.... wouldn't that be hilarious? So here's a first-time shooter walking around with a $3500.00 Wilson Combat and he's not really even sure where the "bullets" go.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Using Gunbot.net and sorting by price and scrolling to the bottom, you can find ammo in almost any caliber. You'll pay Adolph Obama regime era prices though.

I have been busy since that debacle ended with the election of President Trump, making sure I have all that I or my legacies will ever need.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Last week I ordered some .45ACP ammo from Cabelas that they said they had in stock. Got to wondering where the heck my order was, logged in and saw they had canceled my order.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
Long as I can keep enough .41 Long Colt on hand I'm good.

If those two boxes were the beginning of your collection, you should be good to go!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 PM

I got the same runaround from some other outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Last week I ordered some .45ACP ammo from Cabelas that they said they had in stock. Got to wondering where the heck my order was, logged in and saw they had canceled my order.
Reviewing my inventory, I realized that I was a little lite on 16 gauge shotgun shells. With less than five hundred rounds on hand. I figured that a little boost was in order, 16 gauge buckshot is hard to come by in normal times. But yes they charged me for the case and then turned around and promptly credited me back. No big deal, we will likely survive.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 AM

^^^^ Same thing happened to me yesterday...I ordered 4 Prime Veal chops from a meat purveyor (who I have ordered from for years) (last) Friday, for delivery today. They charged me last week and suppose to reserve the inventory, but yesterday got an e-mail all sold out. True story!

No ammo, no toilet-paper, and now now freaking Veal - WTH is this world coming to!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-26-2020 at 05:44 AM.