Anyone remove magazine disconnect from Tisas yet? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 09:34 PM

Anyone remove magazine disconnect from Tisas yet?

I have a ss Tisas and want to remove the magazine disconnect. I purchased the BHSS punches and I'm ready to attempt, but after I remove the trigger pin; what next? Do I only push the trigger pin in part way and wiggle the disconnect out? Or does the entire trigger assemble have to come out?
PS: I initially removed the small pin in the trigger and attempted to pull the magazine disconnect parts out, but it was a no go.......Then I found out the trigger pin needs to be moved, but I don't know the rest??
Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 PM

Remove the entire trigger assembly then remove the disconnect. Replace the trigger assembly. When replacing the trigger pin note that it must go back in correctly and the rear trigger spring must slip into the slot on the trigger pin. Getting it out and back in can be a challenge the first time patience is your friend.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 AM

I suggest using an arbor press rather than punches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Vinnie View Post
I have a ss Tisas and want to remove the magazine disconnect. I purchased the BHSS punches and I'm ready to attempt, but after I remove the trigger pin; what next? Do I only push the trigger pin in part way and wiggle the disconnect out? Or does the entire trigger assemble have to come out?
PS: I initially removed the small pin in the trigger and attempted to pull the magazine disconnect parts out, but it was a no go.......Then I found out the trigger pin needs to be moved, but I don't know the rest??
I removed mine with no problems. put electrical tape anywhere in danger of being scratched. Once the small trigger link pin is removed - I pushed my trigger pivot pin 3/4 of the way out - then wiggled & pulled the disconnect out. Seemed easier to me to leave the pivot pin partially in - to replace everything. About a year since I did it - think trigger pivot is driven from right side of frame toward the left. Mine went well - without a scratch & was well worth doing. Take care.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 PM

Mine would not move. A cheap arbor press and cheater solved the problem. The pin moves from right (ejection port side) to left and goes back in from left to right. Make sure you do it in this sequence. The pin hole on the right side is sightly smaller that the left.
Lastly, there is a sticky on this subject at the beginning of this sub-forum.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 PM

I've seen a bunch of arbor presses, but can't visualize how you'd use one to remove that little pin. It seems like a punch is easier to manipulate. Does anyone have pix or a vid of the process?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:11 PM

It's no trick to remove the trigger assembly, and not very hard to get the pin back in. It's a big benefit to polish those parts and the frame area there.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:28 PM

I used a scrap piece of 2 x 4 with 1/2" holes drilled in it as a bench block. Punched out the pins with hardware store punches and pulled the entire trigger out, it wasn't too difficult to do but I did tape everything up pretty well.

I didn't replace the little roll pin in the trigger, I didn't see any advantage one way or the other.

When I sold that gun to a friend I gave him the mag safety, he chuckled and threw it in the trash.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:32 AM

With mine, the punch started swelling the pin rather than drifting it out.
Arbor avoids that.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 AM

I think I will just leave mine in. Don't need the hassle just to get a pound or 2 off the trigger pull. It is a range gun and not a competition one so pulling out the mag is no big issue.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:41 PM

I still have not attempted the task yet....Almost seems that a half to a one ton small arbor press may be the easiest way to pop out the trigger pin?