BH Spring Solutions SFS Install - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 07:51 PM

BH Spring Solutions SFS Install

Has anyone done the BHSS SFS installation? I am having some challenges understand the instructions.
Anyone document what you did and have any decent photos or a detailed instructions for an old man to look at??

Thanks

Last edited by Cousin Vinnie; 12-20-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:08 PM

If you know how to detail strip your BHP frame it is basically just replacing the stock parts with the SFS parts. If you have not done that level of take down then thatís another issue. I find the BHSS video on the install outstanding for not only the SFS install but general frame disassembly. You might give them a call, they are very helpful.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Each time I put SFS in I use this BHSS video. Starting and stopping frequently is my friend.

If your hammer assembly is no longer fully assembled, try this video.

I clear a special work space in front of my largest computer monitor with a mouse and the printed instructions at the ready. That little spring that goes under the safety flew away several times... a bright flashlight and a large magnet on a stick allowed me to find it each time. I am delighted to have had success with several pistols.

A beer or two seems to help me... YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks guys, for the info. I am going to put it aside for tonight and try again tomorrow. Maybe I am just not getting something? I know many have done the install and maybe I just don't understand the instructions as well as others? I am more of a visual person and once I see it, I can do, I will admit I just don't do well with written directions.
Thanks again folks!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:54 PM

I did two of them, one in an FN, and the other in a Tisas. Both times I used the printed instructions with no difficulty.

As has been said, it is extremely helpful to already have experience in detail stripping an HP down to the bones.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 PM

Vinnie, I recently did and FM Detective. The only issue I had was that damn little spring under the thumb safety. Other than that it was pretty straight forward

We should be thankful to both
Old 12-19-2019, 10:59 PM

Vinnie, sorry to hear you have problems installing the SFS. In general it's straight forward process, but if you haven't done that ever before, it might be a bit challenging the first time. I still remember the sweat on my forehead when I was doing the install on the big boss' Ishapore in India. Although I've been doing that on a regular basis in the last couple of years the sear spring won't install properly untill I found out that the Ishapore was having more metal in the grip base and the spring needed to be cut 1mm shorter. I cut it and the magic "click" happened

Please take a look at our friend's TYM video of the install. It might help. Redoing the video is on our radar screen but we have more elephant bites we need to chew before that...

https://youtu.be/EWnSArXrA4w

BHSpringSolutions.com - Hi-Power, 1911, CZ75 and Makarov Springs, Grips and Tools
Old 12-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks to all who responded! I am pleased to report that after several times reviewing the installation procedure and the basic workings of the HP, I successfully installed the SFS.
In all honesty, I am responsible for many of the challenges doing the install because I did not completely familiarize myself with the procedure and have a full understanding of the parts movements.
I am very pleased with the results of the SFS and am anxiously awaiting a range trip.
Thanks again to all who responded with your support, tips and information.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Good news indeed!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Hey Cuz, After wringing out that new kit please do a follow up with your impressions. I am interested in the conversion but need to convince myself that it would be an enhancement over a cocked and locked carry.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:21 PM

I installed the SFS on my FEG HP, mainly due to hammer bite caused by the OEM hammer, as I had no issue with carrying the HP cocked and locked. I read the instructions and viewed Marks video on the installation several times. My install of the system went without any issues or problems. The system works fine and cured my hammer bite problems. After a day at the range to familiarize myself with the new controls, I had no problems as it became natural to rack the slide and push the hammer forward. Drawing the HP and moving the safety “off” is no different from my previous training drills. The only difference is how one engages the safety - instead of pushing the safety up to engage the slide, I push the hammer forward. The safety engages. I thumb the safety off as usual and the piece is ready to fire.
I think it’s a good system and upgrade, especially if you carry the HP a lot. The more you handle it the more natural it becomes.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Another side benefit is, if you carry, and the gun is ever taken away from you, the perp will be unable to use it, until they figure out how to fire it. With the hammer down, the slide is locked, the hammer cannot be cocked, and the trigger is inoperable. This may give you the time needed to regain control of the situation.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:18 AM

Mikey,

I'm echoing the previous two comments.

I carry an SFS HP. My first HP was a factory SFS model. I didn't know what hammer bite was until I bought a stock FEG.

During a public target shooting event at the Chicago PD range, my niece was shooting my 9mm SFS and needed some assistance. The CPD RO, familiar with High Powers, thought something was wrong with it... it was unloaded, cocked and locked, hammer down, he couldn't figure out how rack the slide to chamber a round.

I also carry a Sig P938 or 238. Should SFS ever become available for them I would add it straight away.

If you installed it and did not like it, I'm sure you could find a new home for the kit.

Cheers