Hammer - drop in? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Hammer - drop in?

Is the Hi-Power hammer considered a "drop-in" part, or does it require fitting?

I am looking to replace the hammer on my Tisas Regent BR9 with a no-bite hammer. If it is a drop in part, I will try to do it myself, but if it requires fitting, I will have to have somebody else do it for me.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
Is the Hi-Power hammer considered a "drop-in" part, or does it require fitting?

I am looking to replace the hammer on my Tisas Regent BR9 with a no-bite hammer. If it is a drop in part, I will try to do it myself, but if it requires fitting, I will have to have somebody else do it for me.

Thanks.
The accepted answer is: You Can't Expect ANY HP PART to be A "DROP IN" - ALL MAY require some fitting. If you get lucky - some MAY drop right in. My REMSPORT stainless barrel dropped right into my FEG HP. I've had to do some fitting on many other parts I've replaced. I have had years of mechanical experience - all I required was a good selection of high quality miniature files.
I have found the HIGH POWER FIELD REPAIR MANUAL to have ALL the info I needed - I downloaded it from somewhere on this site.

YOU COULD change/relieve the bottom (bitey) profile of your existing BR9 hammer. Others have done this. For some reason my stainless Tisas & Fegs
haven't bit me. I love the traditional roundel hammers.
best Wishes for a happy resolution, C.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:19 AM

My BR9 hasn't bitten me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Following the advice of some here I added the SFS (Fast Safety System) from BH Spring Solutions. I opted to have them install it because I wanted some other work done at the same time, but they said it's easy for anyone to install themselves.

It is superb, haven't looked back.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index....-for-hi-power/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 01:07 PM

I have installed SFS in my SS BR9 and several other High Powers. It was drop in for all, except an old FEG, and all function perfectly. No more hammer bite at all.

Never did get it to work in the FEG, but Mark at BHSS says he can make it work if I send the pistol to him... someday!
Old 12-17-2019, 05:48 PM

As noted, most drop in, but some might need minor fitting. I needed to fit a Cylinder and Slide hammer. Fit slightly tight into the frame, removed a small amount of material around each side of the base pivot point and it then dropped in without a problem.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:22 PM

I’ve install the SFS system into my FEG because of hammer bite. Went in easy after viewing Mark’s (BHSS) video. Not much fitting was required as parts dropped in except for the new extended slide release/stop. It needed fitting at the engagement interface with the slide notch. I also had to fit a C&S no bite hammer to my BHP Practical. It pretty much dropped in with minimum fuss.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."

Last edited by tractor; 12-17-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:25 PM

My BHSS SFS kit should be here in a day or so, and I am looking forward to installing it.
FWIW; as others have said, most HP parts need some fitting, even if minor.
I think that if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and have a basic working knowledge of the HP and equipped with some basic hand tools, it should be easily achievable to fit most parts. Just go slow.....
Old 12-17-2019, 06:26 PM

My BHSS SFS kit should be here in a day or so, and I am looking forward to installing it.
FWIW; as others have said, most HP parts need some fitting, even if minor.
I think that if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and have a basic working knowledge of the HP and equipped with some basic hand tools, it should be easily achievable to fit most parts. Just go slow.....
Old 12-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Blackjack, From your post it appears that you lack the confidence to totally disassemble the pistol so with that thought I would say let someone else do it. Just changing hammers is not a big deal but if you are going that far I would suggest a BHSS optimizing spring kit. By doing so all of the springs in your pistol are working together and at proper specs. The recoil spring and hammer spring are the most important as they both work hard during the cycling process. Replacement of the hammer requires remmoval of the sear, sear spring, pin, safety, ejector, hammer, strut and spring. To replace the hammer spring you must remove a pin and unscrew a retainer that is under tension. Not a difficult job..easier with a BHSS tool to hold the hammer at full cock while reassembling sear parts.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Blackjack, From your post it appears that you lack the confidence to totally disassemble the pistol so with that thought I would say let someone else do it. Just changing hammers is not a big deal but if you are going that far I would suggest a BHSS optimizing spring kit. By doing so all of the springs in your pistol are working together and at proper specs. The recoil spring and hammer spring are the most important as they both work hard during the cycling process. Replacement of the hammer requires remmoval of the sear, sear spring, pin, safety, ejector, hammer, strut and spring. To replace the hammer spring you must remove a pin and unscrew a retainer that is under tension. Not a difficult job..easier with a BHSS tool to hold the hammer at full cock while reassembling sear parts.
BHSS has a tool that makes removing and replacing that hammer/main spring easier...

The BHSpringSolutions Main Spring Replacement Tool enables Main Spring Replacment on hammer strut in under 60 seconds.

I have this tool and have not used it yet, opting instead to install SFS. At some point I will replace all of these springs. My oldest SFS Mk lll, a 1943 and an FEG are all due for a change.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Yes they have a tool to simplify the task but I never had a problem with mine. I now have 18 high powers and most of them have never had spring changes, that is about $450 in springs to upgrade.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the input.

No, I am not afraid of doing a detailed disassembly of the pistol. What I am afraid of is messing up on any fitting/filing that needs to be done.

Based on the feedback I am getting here I think I will go ahead and order hammer and try it. Worst case is that I will need to reassemble it and send both it ad the hammer to somebody to be fit, but based on the feedback I am seeing here, I don't think that will be necessary.

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2019, 12:22 AM

Recently I ordered a round spur hammer from Numrich and it dropped right in after the strut and spring were removed from the old hammer and reinstalled on the new. I did not change the spring on this pistol as it had been functioning correctly. Hammers and safety’s have never given me a problem in FN or FEG Hi Powers.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Yes they have a tool to simplify the task but I never had a problem with mine. I now have 18 high powers and most of them have never had spring changes, that is about $450 in springs to upgrade.
I'm of a like mind with Berettas, Colt and S&W's :-)

My SS Tisas is still en route and since I've never had any HP "bite" me so the only things up for consideration are an extended slide stop, ambi safety and maybe grips.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Wanted to install a skeletonized hammer. It was suggested to me to get a sear as well, just in case the original would not work with it. Not expensive at all.
C&S was the brand...
Old 02-21-2020, 10:21 PM

The C&S skeleton hammer and sear are a good choice and not that difficult to install. If the hammer spring is changed it is a bit more difficult just remember the ejector rotates down to disassemble parts. Go for one of their extended safety levers while you have everything apart.