Virus outbreak - Page 13 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 08:59 AM

When you see more of this, things may start to get really interesting.

https://www.edhat.com/news/sheriffs-...xsYtXh5b77BHN8

SHERIFF'S EMPLOYEES SELF-QUARANTINED AFTER CORONAVIRUS EXPOSURE

A total of twelve Sheriff’s Office, County and medical contract employees were directed to self-isolate in their homes after a recent incidentin which they were exposed to a person who later tested positive for COVID-19.

The incident, which occurred on Thursday, March 12, 2020, a civilian Sheriff’s employee who works in a Jail control room and had recently traveled to Europe, became ill at work. This employee, who is a resident of San Luis Obispo County, sought medical attention and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. Twelve of the employees’ colleagues (four sworn Custody Deputies, one General Services employee, two employees of Wellpath Healthcare and five civilian Sheriff’s employees) who had been in close proximity to the employee, were evaluated by medical staff and determined by Santa Barbara County Public Health authorities to require self-isolation. All of them were asymptomatic and were sent home to self-isolate. Likewise, the employee who tested positive was told by San Luis Obispo County Public Health to self-isolate at home.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Doing jigsaw puzzles with the family around the kitchen table.
We've got plenty of food and liquor, check up on our seniors over the phone
We're fine as frog's hair!
Putting on pizza pounds from take-out though.
Got to support the local economy!
Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I file on time, every year, and pay whatever is due Uncle Sam.
This year, my quarterly estimate probably wont get paid regardless of what they come up with. There should be a moratorium on payroll /income taxes until this Thing we’re all dealing with has passed and life has returned to normal (at least for those who run businesses with overhead and payroll).
$1000.00 isnt going to do squat for me or anyone like me.
They’re talking about about $850 Billion in stimulus, it’ll end up $1 Trillion before theyre done.
Just finished my federal, amazing, first year without a job or severance pay, my taxes are now less than 1/2 of what I was paying...Still have't got my deductions correct will have to send them a few thousand. No biggie.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 10:27 AM

My View

I don't see CV as the "big one". Far from it despite the media induced panic...I do see it as a "stress-test" of our society in general and our own particular Emergency Preparedness Processes...I have a few things to augment, as I am surprised how quickly the nation's distribution system has gotten overloaded for both essentials like water (rationing), and non-essentials like paper products (which are no where to be found). I prepped for the essentials but have some gaps in the non essentials.

Be ready, because the "big one" is yet to come.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-18-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Grocery store about a half mile from my house had an incident today. A group of people went in to the store and started stealing stuff. When confronted by store employees and asked to leave, they attacked the store employees and customers.
There's a large group of police there now.
Not helped by CA’s new laws making theft under, what is it, 1K a misdemeanor.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-18-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Not helped by CA’s new laws making theft under, what is it, 1K a misdemeanor.
I suppose they want to keep those "valuable" Dem votes.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Plus you really can not fault people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
I suppose they want to keep those "valuable" Dem votes.
For making a fund raising effort.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I don't see CV as the "big one". Far from it despite the media induced panic...I do see it as a "stress-test" of our society in general and our own particular Emergency Preparedness Processes...I have a few things to augment, as I am surprised how quickly the nation's distribution system has gotten overloaded for both essentials like water (rationing), and non-essentials like paper products (which are no where to be found). I prepped for the essentials but have some gaps in the non essentials.

Be ready, because the "big one" is yet to come.
This is my belief as well, I too got caught lacking on the non essentials.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:20 PM

Our neck of the woods has been mandated to "shelter in place" until 30 March (so far.) Schools, most businesses and services on lock down.
Yeah, this'll be interesting!
Starts midnight tonight.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Just finished my federal, amazing, first year without a job or severance pay, my taxes are now less than 1/2 of what I was paying...Still have't got my deductions correct will have to send them a few thousand. No biggie.
Mine isn’t done yet, but my accountant told me when i dropped off my stuff that he’s doing phone call appointments vs our face to face.
I hope he adjusts what he charges me... i dont see me paying my quarterly estimate when my year will/should be based on a 9 month or less cycle.
The CV19 numbers are still climbing so most businesses are still doing zero business and people are afraid to come out.

On another note: Happy St Josephs Day...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:02 AM

Peak Panic has not been reached yet:

Not around here yet anyway...I live in a "sleepy" NJ town near the Barnicate bay, it is way-more like living in a mid-west town then like the stereotype NJ places like Newark, Elizabeth, Camdin. It is Trump town and conservative mostly.

3 week Thursday AM food shoping "stat's":

-3 weeks ago: All is well and normal at 8:00.
-2 weeks ago: 8:00 - very few papaer products but still some. Morning crowd about 20% more than normal density.
-Today: 7:00AM, yes went early: Massive density as if it where a Saturday morning around 11:00...Absolutely ZERO paper products. No tissues, no napkins, no paper towels, and of course no toilet paper. Plenty of produce and a decent amount of meat though. They are still asking public to keep water purchases down to 1 bulk or 2 1 gallion. I didn't see anyone following this rule though, usually 3 of each were purchased. But I didn't see anyone trying to fill an entire shopping cart with it either.

This panic is far from over, and the media, the Lefty, and some in the medical-establishment as well as the wall Street-Community, are doing everything they can to exacerbate it.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:23 AM

On the bright side, I get my Walther PPQ9 Q5-Match 5" slide in the mail today which I can swap on my 4" PPQ9 for ranges and matches. Much better sights (vs carry sights), optics ready if I ever want to go that route and the longer slide. Ordered it 3 weeks ago for Pete's sake. :-)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Mine isn’t done yet, but my accountant told me when i dropped off my stuff that he’s doing phone call appointments vs our face to face.
I hope he adjusts what he charges me... i dont see me paying my quarterly estimate when my year will/should be based on a 9 month or less cycle.
The CV19 numbers are still climbing so most businesses are still doing zero business and people are afraid to come out.

On another note: Happy St Josephs Day...
The arcane - really arcane -- manner in which IRS calculates any penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes (quarterly ES) is such that an underpayment in Q1 is likely to be treated far more severely than an underpayment in Q4. If someone has a choice, Q1 is not the quarter in which to cut things close.

Exceptions can exist, of course, with a provable bad Q1, and all of this could be overshadowed and turned upside down with whatever emergency "breaks" might be given via emergency legislation. Your accountant will probably give good advice.

----

The shutdowns of one business after another is a colossal worry. It's unfortunately something that one sees during a true depression, although this time around the cause is wholly non-typical and hopefully not long-lived. If the closures turn into bankruptcy filings, things could turn grim.

----

There are calls for the Department of the Treasury to immediately give taxpayers an extension of the April 15th filing deadline. Year 2019 payment extensions are, for many, little more than a meaningless political token... because most of the taxes owed have already been paid via payroll withholdings or quarterly ES payments; many in fact have overpaid and are due refunds.

If interested, one can email Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at [email protected]. You can copy and paste this draft email:

Dear Sec. Mnuchin:

Treasury must act immediately by extending the April 15th filing deadline to July 15th.

Unfortunately, the important payment relief that was announced Tuesday and formalized in today’s notice does not apply to the filing of tax returns and does not reflect the real-world difficulties taxpayers are facing.

Cities across the country are having to shut businesses down because of the coronavirus pandemic, and it is impossible for every taxpayer and their tax adviser to prepare returns in this environment.

Nearly 60% of all taxpayers turn to a tax practitioner to prepare and file their tax returns, and individual and business tax filing deadlines are fast approaching.

We need immediate action on payment and filing relief together.

Thank you for your work to guide the country through these difficult days.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-19-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:56 PM

In case it hasn't been mentioned before-

Now is a good time to check on any less fortunate neighbors; the elderly or ones you know to have a pre-existing health condition. Some may have difficulty getting grocerys or meds at this time.
Or worse, ill and unable to call for help or care for themselves.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Not around here yet anyway...I live in a "sleepy" NJ town near the Barnicate bay, it is way-more like living in a mid-west town then like the stereotype NJ places like Newark, Elizabeth, Camdin. It is Trump town and conservative mostly....

...This panic is far from over, and the media, the Lefty, and some in the medical-establishment as well as the wall Street-Community, are doing everything they can to exacerbate it.

On another forum, a fellow in South New Jersey mentioned to me it is good in the southern part and different from the kinds of towns you mention above. He mentioned it isn't anti-gun there, although I don't recall if he was referring to the people, local authorities, or both. IIRC, what lead to this conversation was my curiosity of the pine barrens.

In the past, I lived on Long Island. These days a person needs to go through some kind of state background check when buying a box of ammo.

I'm not sure exactly what to think of the coronavirus. I recently learned there are several of them and only one causes COVID-19, which is the disease.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
… I'm not sure exactly what to think of the coronavirus. I recently learned there are several of them and only one causes COVID-19, which is the disease.
Yes. SARS and MERS are both corona viruses. There are at least 22, of which 7 can infect humans with everything from the common cold to SARS and MERS. COVID-19 is shorthand for Corona Virus Disease 2019. There would probably be a new name for it if it were not for the way this thing has taken off. Since this is all that we have heard for the past couple months it may stick as the permanent name.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post

----

There are calls for the Department of the Treasury to immediately give taxpayers an extension of the April 15th filing deadline. Year 2019 payment extensions are, for many, little more than a meaningless political token... because most of the taxes owed have already been paid via payroll withholdings or quarterly ES payments; many in fact have overpaid and are due refunds.

If interested, one can email Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at [email protected]. You can copy and paste this draft email:

Dear Sec. Mnuchin:

Treasury must act immediately by extending the April 15th filing deadline to July 15th.

Unfortunately, the important payment relief that was announced Tuesday and formalized in today’s notice does not apply to the filing of tax returns and does not reflect the real-world difficulties taxpayers are facing.

Cities across the country are having to shut businesses down because of the coronavirus pandemic, and it is impossible for every taxpayer and their tax adviser to prepare returns in this environment.

Nearly 60% of all taxpayers turn to a tax practitioner to prepare and file their tax returns, and individual and business tax filing deadlines are fast approaching.

We need immediate action on payment and filing relief together.

Thank you for your work to guide the country through these difficult days.
Great letter Chrysanthemum, I just may use it...everything has been closed or postponed until further notice. Simple logic suggests tax returns and estimates should too.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
On another forum, a fellow in South New Jersey mentioned to me it is good in the southern part and different from the kinds of towns you mention above. He mentioned it isn't anti-gun there, although I don't recall if he was referring to the people, local authorities, or both. IIRC, what lead to this conversation was my curiosity of the pine barrens.

In the past, I lived on Long Island. These days a person needs to go through some kind of state background check when buying a box of ammo.

I'm not sure exactly what to think of the coronavirus. I recently learned there are several of them and only one causes COVID-19, which is the disease.
They floated that law also in NJ about the ammo, but it didn't make it through the state senate...

Just got word today, the outdoor shooting club I shoot at has cancelled all club meetings and events/matches. The indoor range is also closed...Only shooting allowed is individual shooting in the outdoor pits and ranges. And no guests allowed right now...Until further notice.

I think they are doing the right thing.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Angry

Quote:
While CONVID-19 may be the common name used, the proper nomenclature for this virus is SARS CoV-2.... fudementaly the same thing as the 2002 SARS virus. It has mutated, as viruses do, and as a result more mobile and virulent. It is also far less lethal. The vast majority, ~85%, won't know that they've been affected by it. They'll feel a bit under the weather, and go happily about their lives. Its mortality rate is very low.
The other 15% are those +65, with underlying immunodeficiency or respiratory issues. Strangely, for a virus, it doesn't seem to impair the other end of the spectrum, the very young, with immature immune systems...
It's already starting to burn out in China, with no new confirmed cases in the last 48- this presumes that the informant being release is accurate.
So, 10k worldwide fatalities -compared to over 20k influenza deaths in the US alone this season. lets assume for the sake of distance that it triples before burnout. 30k in a popular of 7 billion. Thats 0.00043% of the world's population. The 1918 Spanish flu killed 3-5% of the population. The pneumatic plague depopulated Europe by 35-50%, depending on the source....
And shelves in stores are bare, and the world is grinder to a halt...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 PM

How long until social media is shut down? My dsl was out last week for 5 days and yesterday . We will all be in the dark. Turn off the TV and we are back to stone age.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
They floated that law also in NJ about the ammo, but it didn't make it through the state senate...

Just got word today, the outdoor shooting club I shoot at has cancelled all club meetings and events/matches. The indoor range is also closed...Only shooting allowed is individual shooting in the outdoor pits and ranges. And no guests allowed right now..ntil further notice.

I think they are doing the right thing.
I would suggest that they're jumping on the panic bandwagon.... the risk is incredibly low.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-19-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
How long until social media is shut down? My dsl was out last week for 5 days and yesterday . We will all be in the dark. Turn off the TV and we are back to stone age.

This is exactly why I still have old school books to read, and I have an extensive library.

I also have Atlas's, Compasses, and for here in Kansas, I keep copies of the annual Walk In Hunting Atlas's as they are some of THE most complete maps you can get of Kansas.

I have manual can openers and a ton of P-38's.

Cause folks? Sooner or later, whatever is mechanical or electronic will break or break down. It always pays to "Be Prepared" and have backups, and if possible secondary and tertiary backups.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
This is exactly why I still have old school books to read, and I have an extensive library.

I also have Atlas's, Compasses, and for here in Kansas, I keep copies of the annual Walk In Hunting Atlas's as they are some of THE most complete maps you can get of Kansas.

I have manual can openers and a ton of P-38's.

Cause folks? Sooner or later, whatever is mechanical or electronic will break or break down. It always pays to "Be Prepared" and have backups, and if possible secondary and tertiary backups.
As my grandfather taught me at a young age- the more moving parts, the more opportunities for something to break. The Army taught me PACE planning 30 years ago- Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency- 4x redundancy.
I don't do social media- Facebook, Twitter, etc..... I do use the wide range of digital information available frequently- but also write down, on paper, what I learn. Everything from recipes to tidbits on the idiosyncrasies of keeping my truck running....
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM

^^^
^^^

It's usually good to have some interests -- and back-up survival modes -- that aren't dependent on modern technology. The longer this thing grinds along, the more important it will be to find enjoyments in life during this new reality.

For me, this has been a good time to work on some gardening projects, among other things. The azaleas are blooming beautifully at this time.

Also been reading about Theodore Roosevelt's hunting adventures as described and illustrated in John Seerey-Lester's superb book, as well as Roosevelt's own books. From this, I've come to realize that a 1911, no matter the chambering, is not sufficient for dealing with an angry grizzly bear.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-19-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
In Europe, the EU asked Netflix to throttle down because everyone is staying home and streaming videos.
They will only be streaming 'standard definition' or 480p as opposed to HD 1080p. Should reduce the bandwith to 1/4 of what is needed for HD.

Can you imagine that... oh the humanity... standard definition... oh the suffering!!!! Its the harbinger of end of days.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 03-19-2020 at 09:22 PM.