1911Forum banner

It looks Tactical, Anyways

5K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  557 
#1 ·
I have to ask a question which might seem obvious to some. There are too many videos on how to out-tactical the next guy with a hand gun but most people don't have the training to back it up.

An annoying thing I see at the range is the constant habit of picking up the weapon and bringing it on target while waving the gun rapidly up and down at arm's length several times before taking the next shot. Since these guys all think they are highly elevated individuals, I don't bug them about it. But it looks stupid and I can't think of any benefit to doing it.

As they say, you will always do what you trained to do. That includes picking up your brass after firing a few shots, whether or not someone is shooting at you. (gotta keep things neat and tidy). At the moment I can't think of a bigger waste of time than waving a handgun up and down in a tense situation, but folks that is what you will do if you train for it.

Whatever.
Sparks

#57 ·
Old farts with their 1911s in tooled leather holsters makin' fun of the coddled millennials in their tactical gear. Old timers who grew up watchin' cowboy shows and WWII movies, younger guys who grew up playing XBox and watching YouTube. Is one really better than the other, or just different? Let them do their scan and assess, and you can wear your "BBQ rig".

#58 ·
What about the 2 generations in between...?

#59 ·
Well I try to be as tactical as I can be.

I find that I can shoot more accurately this way.

#62 ·
More than one person has been killed, intentionally, on the range, from the guy killed by the FBI Miami shootout criminals (to obtain more weapons) to Chris Kyle...

#61 · (Edited)
Fun training on situational awareness with Chris Costa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTX9Dt-D_b8

As to a lot of the range stuff you see and what gets taught in some classes. As in a lot of areas, people learn to do something because it's either what they have seen or have been taught to do. Where it fails in any kind of training or education is in teaching why. The concept of why we do something and what it is meant to accomplish. It's a society thing to teach by the numbers, teach to pass the test, do the right moves, tick the right boxes. These are gradable and visually observable.

If someone is taught why they do something and the intent and purpose then the actions and reactions become a fluid thing that can adapt and deal with changing situations. Takes more time to teach. More time to make sure the ones being taught truly understand, more time to learn whole concept. And, it's not a neat little checklist you can run down to say, "You are a go at this station."

Also, to keep getting people taking your training classes, to keep the business going, you need to keep creating new ways and techniques to be cool. Gotta keep folks coming back to the latest, coolest, just discovered, operator techniques. Never mind that the skill set that has been developed is already operating well ahead of bad guy responses.

Not saying, new ways to work smart aren't there or aren't yet to be discovered. Things evolve. But at a point is it evolving just for the training environment and becoming more gamesmanship that could get someone killed in a real world shooting environment, or does it actually teach a way to be just a little more on and use less motion and thought to accomplish a goal.

Funny as the Costa video above is, it teaches something about things like situational awareness being something that becomes an auto piloting function that is as much a part of an individual as breathing. It also points out without saying that we can also become tuned situationally to those things that matter to us, such as the older BP guy in the story. This is his world. His relation to situational awareness is colored by his life's working environment and purpose. How would his awareness work in an inner city, crime ridden environment?

#63 ·
Disclaimer: I've never served in the armed forces and I've never had any formal training. That said, if I'm ever in a situation where shots are fired and I think there is even a smidgen of a chance of another threat out of my line of sight I sure hope I don't stand there flat footed twisting my head around like an owl. I might be looking around but I'll either be looking from cover or moving as fast as I can towards some. Yeh, yeh, I'll look silly too...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.