1911Forum banner

Opinions on Milt Sparks Summer Special 2?

24K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  mh1960 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any history with a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2?

I just ordered an IWB holster from American Holster Company and am looking for an all leather IWB holster until that one arrives. I bought a Galco King Tuk off the bat. Very comfortable feel, but I don't like the way the Kydex treats my Colt Defender.

Thanks for any help!

#4 · (Edited)
Have you seen our IWB Holster Picture Thread http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181

You'll find lots of folks with Summer Specials and Summer Special II

I don't like the way the Kydex treats my Colt Defender.
Seems even the rough hide leather leaves marks on that matte finish stainless steel.
You're either going to have to get over that or not carry that pistol. Every holster will put wear marks on your gun.

For a reference point, here is a look at Tiger McKee's 1911 http://shootrite.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/1911-modifications/

#7 ·
I bought the Milt Sparks SS II for my 1911's, Glocks and Sig P-220. I use a 1 1/2" 511 trainer gun belt ($40.00) that works great with it. Bought a Sparks SS II for my son's Kimber as well- No complaints about Sparks from him or me!

I tried the Galco Royal Guard but the Milt Sparks blows it away in quality as far as stitching, steel reinforced opening and attention to detail-all for a similar price. The Galco Royal Guard went back-

You'll love your SS II, just remember as always to get a decent belt.

#8 ·
The Sparks SSII is possibly the most comfortable IWB holster for a full-sized 1911. Since it's anchored in the center, the holster can move a little fore and aft to accommodate sitting, standing and walking. That helps a lot with a 5" barrel. Mine is rough on the outside and smooth inside, and required hardly any break-in to fit smoothly.

Any holster will cause wear, and for some reason, leather causes more than Kydex, possibly because it is soft and has a larger area of contact, making wear more visible. Think of it as adding character to a working handgun. Guns that need pampering belong in safes or display cabinets.

#9 ·
Actually, . . . it comes down to a matter of opinion, . . . I personally wouldn't give a dollar for a box of either of the summer specials, . . . simply because my body style (kinda lanky and boney) doesn't like em.

They hurt, . . . literally, . . . hurt, . . . wearing them. I like a flat backed IWB, . . . much more comfortable IMHO.

May God bless,
Dwight

#11 ·
On the other hand, from Jason Burton's review linked above…

I am a huge fan of the Summer Special style IWB holster and still use a rig of the same design in my holster line-up. The extra bulk of other IWB designs, such as those that use outboard belt loops, have never worked well for me. It’s just too much leather for me to find it comfortable.

#12 ·
I had summer special few years back .Had great reviews . I didn't like the holster Was never comfortable wearing. I sold it to a cop for his off duty wear . He keep couple weeks and sold He didn't like it either. I never met 3rd owner don't know if he has or not, I won't buy another

I bought a UBGholster and still use today.

#13 ·
I like the Galco IWB 3 better than the summer special and its clones. The belt loop is aft of the thick part of the gun, providing for an overall slimmer bulge to conceal.

#14 ·
The advantage of centered loops is that the holster doesn't twist when you draw. Holsters with double, wide-spaced loops, like the VM2, are even more stable, but can't move to accommodate longer barrels as well as the SS2. Holsters like the Blade-Tech UCH have a single loop, aft of center, but it is very wide, with little tendency to twist.

Wearing an IWB too far forward tends to be very uncomfortable, and bulges unnecessarily. I find the best position places the barrel just behind my hip bone, or about 4:00 to 4:30. The further rearward, the greater the cant needed. At 4:30, 15 degrees seems about right. This position also offers good concealment from the front, even if the cover garment is open, but not so far aft that the cover rides up over the grip when you bend or sit. You can still shield it from unwanted contact using your arm without being obvious.

It's always best to bend at the knees to avoid printing or uncovering, and to reach overhead with your weak hand. "Comfortable" clothing is not the only accommodation you need to make when carrying.

#22 ·
The advantage of centered loops is that the holster doesn't twist when you draw..
Gotta disagree here. Holsters with belt loops in the center rotate far EASIER that wide spaced looped holsters. It's like the holster is mounted on an axel. It can't help but rotate.

... Holsters with double, wide-spaced loops, like the VM2, are even more stable.
Yep....I agree with this.

That said... I have a SS. It's without a doubt the most damn uncomfortable thing I've ever worn. It's in a box in the basement.

#15 ·
I picked one up last year for my Ruger Sr 1911 Full size gun @ Brownells for apx $100.00 + $10.00 shp.? As they have them in stock.? Got it in less than a week.? Great comfortable holster for EDC.? I sent away to Milt Sparks Co. For a replacement Black leather Straps.? To add to it.? & it blends in with my Black Belt great.? cost $11.00
Bucks from MS.

#19 ·
I'm not a fan. Superbly well built, but overall, I don't care for the design. I much prefer a holster design with the belt loops spread out like the Versa Max II.

#20 ·
I have, and have had, multiple holsters from Milt Sparks Leather, both way back when Milt was alive, and more recently since Tony K. has owned the company.

They've always been among the very topmost leather holstermakers IME, right up with Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti and Ken Null.

Let them know your needs/preferences and they'll make what you need.
Nobody here who has experience of their work will likely tell you otherwise.

#21 ·
I like mine. I have found this holster, with its centered snaps, can be rotated more easily than those with the loops further apart should you need to access the pistol with your off/weak hand.

#24 ·
Tried to love a Sparks SS2, but our relationship quickly faltered and I went back to my first love...Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

Despite my concerted effort, I could not get comfortable with the Sparks, even whilst employing the best of belts.

#25 ·
I have been using a kydex IWB by Rocketman Holsters called the Lowrider. I have them for both 1911s and Glocks. I have Comptacs, Galco's, Raven, etc etc, and the Lowrider conceals a 1911better than any holster i have ever owned.
Waited about 3 weeks for each after ordering. Quality is VERY good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.