1911Forum banner

What is your EDC Knife and why?

60K views 189 replies 139 participants last post by  CTI1USNRET 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new EDC knife and I wanted to see what everyone is carrying these days. I am leaning towards and auto (OTF) but I am open to anything.

Post pictures of your EDC knifes. I am currently carrying a MOD CQD Mark 1.

#7 · (Edited)
My EDC has always been a Swiss Army lockblade (like the Centurion or the Trekker) because cutting alone does not solve every EDC problem. An awful lot of stuff has screws in it - both slotted AND Philips. Over the years I have also used the tiny tweezers to remove a great many splinters. While I love a big honkin tactical knife that I can flip open one handed and scare the snowflakes to death with - it's just not enough. I have also come to believe that the ability to open a knife with only one hand is terrible useful when you are on a ladder or have only one hand available. In the last few years I have noticed that even a small Swiss Army knife tends to terrify a lot of the snowflakes almost as well as a large "tactical knife".

#8 ·
I couldn't decide which knife I like best, so I carry both. A Pro-Tech Emerson auto tanto and a Wilson Combat Pro-Tech Eagle auto. I have one clipped inside each front pocket, which actually comes in handy. If one hand is busy, I just grab a knife with my free hand.

#9 ·
Fullsize Benchmade Infidel here in FL

#10 ·
Carbon Fiber Microtech Ultratech D/E. Since autos became legal I went with a Kershaw launch, then the small ass microtech, then an HK/benchmade, and now this. I sold my way through them and didn't loose money since I bought used. I couldn't swing $300 on a pocket knife in the past, but figured what the hell.

Fires hard, has a glass breaker handy, big enough to use for stuff but has 2 sides so a good SD knife in a pinch. I like how quick they go safe, it's nice with my kid around to have it snap back in.

I'm considering selling/trading it just because I still haven't decided if it's worth while, but every time I fire it out of the pocket I giggle a bit. I feel like Archer...

#15 ·
My favorite is the ProTech Godson, which I’ve been carrying for the past few years. It’s a side firing auto, easy to deploy offhand and very pocket friendly.

Prior to that, the Para 2. Super lightweight and the best pure slicer that I’ve ever owned.

Prior to that, a CR Zaan.

Prior to that, some traditional folders.

Prior to that, a Leatherman, then Gerber multi-tool. I carried those for many years during my military career. Like drail said, seems like I always had a need for more than just a blade, but not so much these days.

...and not to be left out, my trusty shipboard Camillus.

#49 · (Edited)
I have carried one of these for years. I lost it, tried two other knives and just had to buy another. It is well made, fits my hand and is sharp.
Ditto! Benchmade 585, Love this knife. Also loved the price I paid, $70!

#17 ·
Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-14SFG Special Forces Folding Knife with Veff Serrated Blade.

I use my knife every day. From cutting boxes to an pry bar to impromptu screw driver. I can't see spending big money on a pocket tool. I'd love to buy a microtech OTF but I don't feel like I'd use it as much.

#18 ·
When I was in jeans all the time before the job I'm in now it was the same three knives. Case Mini-Trapper in the watch pocket, a SAK Alox Farmer in the full right pocket and a SAK Manager in the left pocket. Okay, I had to replace the Manager with another small SAK after, never mind I have to keep a little discretion. LOL.

Once I ended up wearing khakis I still carried the Case for a little while, but found it a bit more handy to have a clip on, one hand opener for quick cuts on most things at work. I did carry a Case in a horizontal cross draw for a while which made it easy to pull out the knife and open it even if I was holding something in one hand. Unfortunately, the scabbard starting loosening up a little and I didn't want to end up losing a well loved knife.

I went to pocket clip knives for the main, general use blade. The Benchmade Mini-Grip in D2 has proven to be an excellent EDC. Just the right size and a great performer. For a little slimmer carry in the pocket and for the type cutting I was doing I actually found a Colt CT591 in D2 steel was really sweet. Discontinued now, it was made in China, but SMKW owns the name and is right on top of the QC. I wish I'd bought several more when I could get them for around $15. Unfortunately, the screws that hold the clip on got loose before I noticed it enough and started stripping a little. I need to put a drop of thread lock on them or just glue them in.

Since I am so far behind on sharpening I just use one clip in knife until getting dull then swap it out for another. Rinse and repeat. I came across my Buck 345 and it's filling the role now.

So it's pretty much the same routine. Pocket clip, one hander (which changes), and the two that never change, the SAK Farmer and little one I don't remember the name of. It has the Phillips/bottle opener on it. Classic frame size, just an extra tool or two. All three knives get used and the SAK is the backup for those days I headspace and forget to swap the main blade from old pants to new pants pocket.

#19 ·
Kershaw Leek designed by Ken Onion (yes that's a real name)

I first came across a "Kershaw" in an old hardwar store on the Olypic Peninsula. I'd not been keeping up to date on US manufactures and had not heard the name. I had flown out to Washington and had not checked a bag,. and was in need of a pocket knife. The little 2.5" inch Kershaw I picked up was a wonder of simplicity and utility, and very well made.

I had a few gripes though, it was a little too angular and hard on the pocket, and I wanted a longer blade a lot of the time. But I was so impressed with this little Kershaw I looked at there catalog, and found the Leek. All curves, smooth and a longer blade.

I leave it lose in my jeans pocket or use the clip to hang from the top of the pocket opening inside. I have carried it nearly every day for two years now. I am giving one to my father and another to a friend.

It open easily one handed, like a switch blade, and comes very sharp, excellent blade shape for fast easy re-sharpening and all around use.

#24 ·
Lately I have been carrying this little Brous.

It is only about a quarter of an inch thick sitting in the sheath. I can carry it in my back pocket and not even feel it when I sit down. I do not know what they are making these things out of but I have had it for about a year now and still have not had to sharpen it.

The little Gerber folding razor knife is handy as all get out also. Not much bigger than a book of matches when folded.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
For over 30 years it was a Buck 501 Squire, then a Spyderco Endura for about 12 years and the last three years or so it has been a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian with the D-2 blade.

Why? The Buck really still does everything I really need and was a Christmas gift from my mom that I'm afraid to lose now. The Spyderco was my venture into new materials and sort of tacticool but I found that the serrations while useful once in a blue moon were mostly a loss of valuable edge and the little Mini-Grip is quite frankly the biggest "little" knife out there!

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Emerson CQC- 15 Mini half serrated for some years now and before that the mini Commanders

I use knives as general purpose bars and these things are tough enough to stand up to years and years of abuse- kept with fairly blunt cutting edge the serrations will do the job if I ever have to saw through line.
For guys looking for a sort of small trenching tool I can’t recommend them highly enough.
They are not the sort of tool I reach for to dig out splinters or fuss with fine trimming work- if I need that I grab a Exacto knife.
Sometimes I think I would carry a small razor sharp folder as well for fussy work but end up never bothering so the blunt Emerson wins out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.