1911Forum banner

Talk about your Champion!

309K views 552 replies 237 participants last post by  Txdweeb 
#1 ·
Here ya go...

#2 · (Edited)
I'll play.. I have Lightweight GI Champ, I upgraded to Mil spec sights and SA refitted the slide/frame. Changes the trigger/hammer MSH. It is a shooter although not as accurate as my Full size GI , it is pretty close and now pretty reliable . Love it..

here it is with New VZ grips.

#6 ·
I have the exact same gun, and it's the best 1911 I have owned. That's including a Colt GCNM and a Kimber Compact series 1. I can fire 200 rounds at a time without tiring, it's such a pussycat, and it's never jammed once. I've shot cheapo ball ammo and numerous brands of JHP and SJHP. I can do 1.5" groups at 15 yards without a rest - more than good enough for my purposes.

When I first got it I thought the trigger was gritty - I did a full detail strip and carefully cleaned every part with CLP, reassembled, and love the feel since. It has a titanium firing pin and a heavy duty spring, so no drop worries either!

I have three holsters for it, 2 andrews hybrid saddle OWB and one el paso saddlery (a vintage 1911 holster). The andrews have thumbreaks that do not allow the thumbsafety to come off - the only holster I've seen that does this correctly. I need a thumbreak because I carry the gun when I ride; you get moved around quite a bit in a saddle, and every other holster I have tried would allow the thumbsafety to move from safe position and/or the gun to come flying out.

Mine has brazil stamped under the dust cover, and I have no regrets. I sold my all USA made Springfield 1911-A1 loaded (no brazil marks, 5" target model), as I prefer this one across the board.

Springfield got this one right.

#5 ·
No pics yet, but just picked up a NIB Champion Operator. Went to look at the Loaded Champion in stainless, but they did not have one, he did have a couple of the lightweights, but I'm just not into the two tone look. Saw the Champ Operator and though I can take or leave the light rail, this thing feels great in my hand. Looks to be very well put together and the trigger feels great. The lightweight frame is nice too. Think this is going to make a very good CCW.

#9 ·
For many years, I’ve wanted a stainless Champion. Now, after the 21st day of my state-mandated 10-day wait, I finally have one.

Even used, it’s the most expensive handgun I’ve purchased to date. It’s also the roughest, despite its pretty exterior. (Seriously, I have Armscor pistols that are smoother and less sloppy.) However, with the experience and spare parts on hand, I’m pretty sure I can polish this diamond in the rough.

A rough photo too … :dope:

#12 · (Edited)
My 1997 Springfield "Super Tuned" Champion

Before:

Wilson Magazine, King Extended Thumb Safety, Storm Lake National Match Barrel Bushing, Wilson MSH, Parkerized

After:

Added Ed Brown Sear, Ed Brown Disconnector, Nighthawk Trigger, Caspian Commander Hammer, Refinished in Black-T.

#58 ·
My 1997 Springfield "Super Tuned" Champion

Before:

Wilson Magazine, King Extended Thumb Safety, Storm Lake National Match Barrel Bushing, Wilson MSH, Parkerized

After:

Added Ed Brown Sear, Ed Brown Disconnector, Nighthawk Trigger, Caspian Commander Hammer, Refinished in Black-T.
Dare i ask... What is a "super tuned" champion... If its a limited edition... the search begins!!!!

#14 ·
Hello I am new to the forum, here is a photo of my SA 1911 Champion. I am not sure what year it is but it is one of the older ones with the barrel bushing.

In 2006 I got the opportunity to purchase a great little combo from my brother. He offered me a great price on his NIB Springfield Armory 1911 Champion with 4" barrel and his NIB 16" barrel Marlin Camp rifle in 45ACP.

Not only are these two guns the same caliber but they also share interchangeable magazines. Both shoot great! The Camp rifle is awesome it came with both the original wood stock and a synthetic side folder which I love. Now I just want to get one or two of those new 40 round drum mags for the Marlin.

I got my SA 1911, my 45ACP Marlin Camp rifle, 400 rounds of ammo, the original mags and 8, 7rd colt GI mags for $450 from my brother. LOL. I am sure I will never get another deal that good!

#15 ·
venting about my champion

Hello, hope i am posting in the correct place. I bought A SA champion Light weight on Saturday at a local gun store.
This is where I need the help from the experts. I get my nice pretty $850 gun back to my house, I break it down clean it lube it put it back together and load a mag full of hollow points to take to the range not to shoot but I never take a gun out of the house with out rounds in it just in case. I seat the mag pull the slide back release just like I have been doing for the past 15 years or so and jam!!!! So I make sure mag is seated good and try again jam!!!! Getting a little frustrated now. So gun shop is closed Sunday, so I wait till Monday after work, walk in the gun store explain the situation and a young kid ( probally about 19) walks up says give your gun and ammo takes it walks in the back room. Wont let me follow which makes me a little mad. Comes back out a few seconds later says works just fine. Then proceeds to tell me that you can not ride the slide foward. I tell him I know how to chamber a round and was not riding the slide, to which the cocky little kid replies I guarantee that is what you were doing. So I bite my tounge to wait for the owner to be in on Tuesday. Sorry to vent but my wife has no idea about guns and was mad about me buying it in the first place. I am attaching a photo of what happen to a round when I was "RIDING the SLIDE". Thank you for any help/advice. Stanger

Attachments

#163 ·
Hello, hope i am posting in the correct place. I bought A SA champion Light weight on Saturday at a local gun store.
This is where I need the help from the experts. I get my nice pretty $850 gun back to my house, I break it down clean it lube it put it back together and load a mag full of hollow points to take to the range not to shoot but I never take a gun out of the house with out rounds in it just in case. I seat the mag pull the slide back release just like I have been doing for the past 15 years or so and jam!!!! So I make sure mag is seated good and try again jam!!!! Getting a little frustrated now. So gun shop is closed Sunday, so I wait till Monday after work, walk in the gun store explain the situation and a young kid ( probally about 19) walks up says give your gun and ammo takes it walks in the back room. Wont let me follow which makes me a little mad. Comes back out a few seconds later says works just fine. Then proceeds to tell me that you can not ride the slide foward. I tell him I know how to chamber a round and was not riding the slide, to which the cocky little kid replies I guarantee that is what you were doing. So I bite my tounge to wait for the owner to be in on Tuesday. Sorry to vent but my wife has no idea about guns and was mad about me buying it in the first place. I am attaching a photo of what happen to a round when I was "RIDING the SLIDE". Thank you for any help/advice. Stanger

if your springfiels is new, you will probably have to break it in, say 3 or 400 rounds of ball ammo before running hollow points. i had a brand new sa loaded champion stainless and i had to use 230gr ball for the first 400 rounds to loosen the gun up some before it was truley reliable witch is the case with most 1911 pistols. springfield 1911,s are very tight and need broken in. im not trying to insult your intelligence just letting you know my personal exp with springfield armory and the 1911 pistol.if you have to carry it now, try using corbon powerball as they should feed well in your new gun and will stop anything short of a bull that you hit with them. its what i used when i carried mine good luck sir

#18 ·
Mine did that too, it's not anything your doing wrong. Load it by locking the slide back and releasing it on the magazine for a while. It will kinda work its way out Hopefully. Mine didn't take that long. I eventually could sling shot the round but it takes a quick sharp motion.

#21 ·
My Champion is the Mil Spec GI Model if if I read the case right. I picked up as of the 4" barrel. Ilike the size and feel of it. When I took it out to do my shooting test runs, found out 2 things, sights had to go and hammer too. While I was at it tuned the trigger now have to try it out tomorrow hopefully. It will give my old Colt LW Commander a rest.

#24 ·
quick question...........are the grips on the champion the same size as full length 1911? i went to go buy a set of hogue wrap arounds.......and was told they would not fit??

tanner gun show is this weekend so i want these grips...........

#27 ·
so any hogue 1911 grips will fit it? wow my gun dealer is a moron LOL

also..........nice gun lunchbox..........i just got the same one last friday hahaha!! what did it run you if i may ask.....here in Denver with tax i paid $908.00

#29 ·
so i got around to finally taking the gun down.........

and when i put it back together i didnt even scratch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love my lil gun!!!