1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Banned

Looking at a 1911 purchase today...??s.

Hey folks, What can you tell me about a Kimber Pro Raptor II?

Is this just a different LOOKING 'custom shop' pistol or does it come with something special or unique to it?

Never owned a Kimber 1911, don't know jack about them, but I sure want this one, lol.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM

All of the guns that say custom shop are normal production guns. You are paying for features not normally found on lower tiered Kimbers. You might find some of their "custom shop" guns have unique features like grip treatment designs, or finishes, but you are losing value on most anything after the TLE.

The gun won't have any better fitting than a standard model though.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 PM

There’s no such thing as “custom” with Kimber. The custom shop is just marketing to make you feel as if the gun is something special.

The Pro Raptor is pretty nice looking though. I like the look of the scales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 11:07 PM

there is nothing custom about a Kimber the (Custom Shop) is just a marketing label.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:39 AM
Banned

I kind of thought that may be the case with the 'custom shop' nemenclature.

Thanks guys, for sharing with me.

So, are they decent, reliable pistols in general nowadays? Is it worth $875?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 AM
Banned

So, this seems like a very slow, unenthusiastic forum. What is up with you people?

Anyone have anything good to say about the pistol in question?!?

Maybe I'm just in the wrong place here. Hmm.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
...but you are losing value on most anything after the TLE.
I think this is what the folks are telling you.

If you like the features on the Raptor, that's what you should get, but it isn't any better than a TLE II, it is mostly just "bling".

Only you can determine if the extra money for the Raptor is worth it to you.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I think this is what the folks are telling you.

If you like the features on the Raptor, that's what you should get, but it isn't any better than a TLE II, it is mostly just "bling".

Only you can determine if the extra money for the Raptor is worth it to you.
It appears to me that ALL used Kimbers start around $800ish. Am I wrong?

The question, by the way, was, is it worth $875? Can you just not answer honestly?

This site is kinda' strange.

Thanks for your help, jtq!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr1 View Post
This site is kinda' strange.
I've been around here for a while. It is one of my favorite firearms forums. I'm not sure what would make you find it strange?

Quote:
It appears to me that ALL used Kimbers start around $800ish. Am I wrong?
I'm sure we wouldn't know. Condition of a used firearm would have a significant impact on the price of the gun. In addition, used gun store prices are generally local. Prices in your area are probably different than those in my area. My assumption is prices have gone up since the Corona Virus pandemic, and now even more since the protest/riots have begun. While I was getting close to buying a new firearm, I've put my purchases on hold until the world settles down a bit. I don't need anything, it is just a want at this point, so there is no reason for me to pay inflated prices at this point.
Quote:
The question, by the way, was, is it worth $875? Can you just not answer honestly?
The Pro Raptor retails for nearly $1,200 https://www.kimberamerica.com/pro-raptor-ii-45acp
Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 AM

I have the Pro Raptor II in stainless and bought it several years ago. I have run about 2,000 rounds through it and have had no problems and no parts replaced except springs about every 500 rounds.
Jack

Last edited by Jack65K; 06-02-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Banned

Thanks for that...I'll admit, I hadn't considered NEW msrp prices.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Banned

Thanks, Jack65K!!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I don't get in here as often as I used to since I peruse many sub-forums here. I suspect many folks on here still work at a job and aren't allowed to access outside websites from their company-issued laptops, so many here might not reply until after-hours when they get off work.

I had a full-size Raptor shortly after they came out; beautiful pistol and operated very nicely - I liked that pistol. Ultimately I traded it for a Super Carry Pro for the extra carry features like LW frame and rounded butt. Both were well fitted 1911's that never gace me any problems. I've owned 8 Kimbers, and still own 3 of them, and all 8 of them have functioned without issue for several thousand rounds. My Eclipse 10mm which I still own, is my deer hunting pistol, my stainless target .38 Super is my "fun gun" that my best friend gave me one Christmas, and my original Pro HD is one of my training guns (in .45 ACP). They have been solid guns for me. Most of my shooting these days are with my Wislons, but that has no bearing on the solid value "bang for the buck" that my Kimbers have provided. If you like the snake scale treatment in the grip and cocking serrations of the Raptor (like I did), get it and shoot the snot out of it.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Tygr1, welcome to the forum. I have owned two Kimbers. My first was a TLE-RL II. I was very happy with it, but I am a gun trader at heart so it went down the road on a trade. Then my second, which I have kept, is a Stainless Target II in 9mm. I have been very happy with it and have hung on to it. I think Kimber makes a very nice pistol for the money. Lots of features, well made and fitted, and I just really like them. The "Custom Shop" guns just have some unique features that makes them stand out, you either like them or not. The Kimber brand seems to generate more love or hate than most brands, and I come down on the love them side. I personally really like the Pro-Raptor and if I wasn't retired and had more disposable income I would probably own one.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr1 View Post
So, this seems like a very slow, unenthusiastic forum. What is up with you people?

Anyone have anything good to say about the pistol in question?!?

Maybe I'm just in the wrong place here. Hmm.
What other people think doesn't matter. What matter is you like the gun. Buy it, it is a GOOD gun.

The Kimber Forum attracts plenty of Kimber bashers. So, those of us Kimber enthusiast, rather than argue with those Kimber bashers rather stay quiet.

Notice too, these regular Kimber bashers are very forgiving of their darling brand. Go to the Gunsmithing forum and count the number of times their darling brand is featured from owners with problems.

I've owned 5 Springfields, 5 Colts, 3 Kimbers, and 1 RIA, and the Kimber is MY favorite.

Don't give a rats ass what negative the Kimber haters will say. Hope that is an ENTHUSIASTIC enough endorsement.

Last edited by DArBad; 06-02-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Here you go. Click on this link. You may be able to make up your own mind by looking at these.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...%20Raptor%20II
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Your money would be much better spent on something like this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869668190
Old 06-02-2020, 10:06 PM

Dan Wesson will give you twice the gun at close to the same money.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM

I owned a variety of Kimber's and never had an issue with any of them. You will get more gun with Dan Wesson but you'll pay 30-40% more so if money is no object I'd look at some of the Kimber Bobtails, especially if carrying is in your future. If it's a range toy I doubt you'll hate the Raptor, they do look cool.
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Benchmark Precision Bobtail, Vic Tibbets bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.