1911Forum banner

Realiable feeding for LSWC

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  gamma72 
#1 ·
I shoot 200 gr LSWC with 5.4 gr W231 on a Citadel FS. I chose to put this here instead of the reloading section because this is specific to Armscor pistols.

Does anybody have a reliable recipe for feeding success with LSWC? I would like to stay with this type bullet because it just makes really pretty holes on paper, but now that I'm starting to play IDPA, i would also like to gain reliable feeding with this type bullet.

i could probably say that I would get 5 out of a hundred FTF. I dont really want to move to 230 gr RN but if I have to, i guess i dont have a choice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
i knew that was gonna come up and i forgot what i used. I'll have to get back with you on that when I get home.

#4 ·
I've been loading 200 grain LSWC exclusively for my RIA FS Tac lately. The only FTF problems I have are being caused by lube building up around the neck or making its way down the side of the case. I've been wiping each cartrige off with a cloth before storing them away and managed to get my last 150 rounds down range without a single FTF.

#5 · (Edited)
I should not have that issue since i use plated Rainiers.

I also replaced the mag catch with the new and improved part and my mags are visibly sitting higher in the mag well.

#6 ·
I use a lead 200 gr round nose flat point over 4.2 grains of Clay's that I've never had feed issues with in my FS Tactical. It's loaded to an overall length of 1.21 inches. Soft shooting and accurate. I use it mostly for bowling pin matches and general target shooting.

#8 ·
That OAL is longer than what I was loading to to increase reliability in my RIA FS Match. However, I am on the road and don't have my data in front of me...... I believe I am down around 1.20 to 1.25 (just a little above whatever the shorter of Lymans manual or Hodgen site had for OAL with W-231/HP-38, can't remember how I came up with it). I was loading 1.32 and didn't think .005 to .010 would make much of a difference, but it was a huge difference.

My 2011 tactical hasn't jammed on one of these rounds yet with the "new style" mag catch. My new style mag catch is on the way for the FS tacticle, and from what I have heard/read I am hopeful this will take care of my last few jams I have been getting.

When I get back into town I'll try and remember to update with what my actual OAL ended up being.

#10 ·
I'll try that. i was actually using 1.25 with the FTF and increased a little playing with the plunk test. i'll load up a batch with that oal and try it out this friday.

#11 ·
I'm not familiar with rainer's SWC ...but i know you can't go by other foiks OAL suggestions unless it's the exact same bullet.
Not all SWC bullest have the same length or dia nose
some will be longer OAl, some will be shorter .
The determining of how deep or shallow they can be seated will be the shoulder of the bullet .

Too much shoulder exposed above the case rim, the bullet runs into the chamber leade (the point where the rifling starts) and cause FTRTB

so there's just not a lot of room to tinker with OAl and SWC.
maybe .010 is all .
BUT...sometimes just that little can make a difference

so find the MAX OAL with that bullet .
Do that by pulling the barrel out of the pistol and dropping in a dummy rnd you made intentionally too long .
the case will be above the barrel hood .
Continue to seat that bullet deeper by a few thousandths at a time
(maybe a 1/4 turn of the die's seater adjusting knob)
seat bullet deeper til the rnd's rim is flush or a shade below the barrel hood.
Drop in a factory rnd and you'll see what I mean by "flush with the hood"

That will be MAX OAL for that bullet .
once you've established the MAX OAL for your pistol's barrel, then you start tinkering with OAl feed adjustments

BTW, that's the same way to find max OAL with any bullet ...cause not all FMJ or LRN bullets can be seated the same OAL either

edit..I didn't see you;re already familiar with the plunk test...but it took forever to type all that ..so it;s staying..LOL

..l.T.A.

#12 ·
i already did all those steps. lol

what really prompted me to increase my oal was my thinking was that maybe my oal was too short that the hang-up is when brass and not lead is having first contact with the area just forward of the hood. am i making any sense?

#15 ·
2Alpha 200 grain LSWC over 4.5 grains of Bullseye 1.22 OAL and a 0.472 crimp. I've run ~150 of these through my gun without any issues. I'm finishing out the last of my plated bullet reloads this week and will be firing my LSWC's next Tuesday, I'll be sure to post back here and say if I have success or failure.

Biggest jump in feed reliability for me was going from cheap triple K magazines to Wilson Combat 47D's.

#18 · (Edited)
comments on Feeding problems..

Funny I should stumble on this thread after trying to get some cast 185 gr bullets to feed reliably..As I was loading to the shortest OAL length listed for 185 gr bullets in a Midway 45 acp loadbook I have (1.190") and still having problems, (rounds feed but not fully chambering) decided to call my bullet caster, (Matt Dardas of Dardas cast bullets). He took the time to patiently explain many of factors that go into determining the proper OAL for a specific pistol. Note I said a "specific pistol" as individual variances from 1 gun to another can/will affect the optimal OAL of a specific bullet to a specific barrel. By experimenting as Matt suggested, I found that shortening the OAL from 1.190" to 1.179" the rounds fed & chambered full in this barrel. Looking @ Midways "Loadmap" for 185gr bullets, they have 12 different bullets pictured & my bullet is not the same as any of them. By selecting the closest in appearance/shape, and slowly adjusting seating depth, I found what works.

To those that may think this was magazine related, I tried all feeding with a variety of magazines..inc. a Wilson, ACT, Mc Cormick, & Colt..

Combine chamber dimension variables,with mags differences, & mag catch variances..it's a wonder anything works.. :D Joepistol..

#19 ·
I took the plunge towards wilson combat mags and it seems very promising. True test is when i take them to the range tomorrow or Friday. i might go to a lighter spring also to see if having a delayed slide return to battery would help. I saw this cool video that really got me thinking about different recoil springs to suit my needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.