S&W Model 41 problem / fix or return - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 PM

S&W Model 41 problem / fix or return

I took my newly acquired M41 to the range today. Itís essentially new from ď97 production. Did i buy someone elseís lemon?
Barely got through 1/2 mag and the slide locked back and would not go into battery. The slide stop/lock wonít go down enough to allow the slide to go forward and chamber the next round. Removing the barrel assembly removes whatever tension/binding and the slide will go forward. The slide lock seems to be tight or not have enough motion available?? The safety feels tight also.
Thereís definately a drag mark (see pic attached).
My question is, Is this an easy fix? Do i bother fixing this or send it back for a refund which ive already discussed and can do? Between the shipping/transfer/NICS is probably $100 (not gonna kill me) But im out a permit which isnt the end of the world either, just stinks. Called S&W 3 x , no one ever picked up.... send it to them? Find a local gunsmith?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
E9EB16D7-3638-4F0A-B833-FAFA322C4FF2.jpeg   87FC2FEB-0A8A-4D06-BAA4-6BD6153AE2D2.jpeg   D813C102-575F-4A92-AE44-92046B4BDCEB.jpeg  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 PM

It's definitely and easy fix if it is caused by the drag mark as in the pic.

Does the slide still drag with the S/L removed?

Does the slide lock seem to be bent in that area?

Is there something behind it pushing it outward?

Also look at the same area on the slide.

Hang in there, as they say it isn't rocket surgery!

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-25-2020, 12:34 AM

The safety on mine has always been stiff. Not going to end up on, or off, by mistake. Good luck with the slide stop issue.
L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 06:01 AM
Administrator

A place to start .
Pull the slide stop and check the return spring for tension and possible deformity , also remove any burrs on the stop . Then check freedom of movement . Reassemble and give it another try .

We remember our friends Art , Chuck , Jim , John , Lou , Roger & Stephen .
Old 01-25-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy sajer View Post
A place to start .
Pull the slide stop and check the return spring for tension and possible deformity , also remove any burrs on the stop . Then check freedom of movement . Reassemble and give it another try .

Thank you for the responses.

How does the slide stop come out? It does seem like whatever the spring and or tension it is supposed to have isnt there and the amount of travel downward is limited thereby holding the slide back.

Included some more pics. The leaf spring seems to work but again is limited in the downward direction. You can see the marks on the leading edge of the slide groove.
Attached Thumbnails
3481CB55-9744-431E-993F-77E3C839EC10.jpeg   4566CC9B-D88E-4F1C-B00D-E2546D466B8E.jpeg   5938E18C-E15E-459E-A7FA-B80A6C767198.jpeg   9E2C573E-FAE2-49CE-823A-7099F35E4001.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 01-25-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:50 AM
Administrator

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once ...
Not a gunsmith , just a lot of years of tinkering in our store .
We don't have a 41 on hand right now so I don't feel qualified to expand on the proper removal of the stop . I did look at the schematic online and think if you remove the LH grip panel you should be able to remove the stop without much trouble . Just watch for small springs , maybe take some photos after grip removal before removing the stop so you have a reference for reassembly .

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...stols-sw/41-sw

I'm going to move this over to Gunsmithing so it'll get more views .

Old 01-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Not an expert on these, but a couple observations. In the second and third photos it appears that the stop arm is bent inwards. Perhaps that is correct for that gun, but it looks "incorrect" to me.

I don't own one, nor have I done anything other than a basic cleaning.... a very long time ago, so don't jump on anything until you verify with someone that really knows.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Administrator

The slide stop has an extended tab that is the cartridge case ejector . Maybe that's what you're seeing Bill .

Old 01-25-2020, 01:47 PM

The slide stop is bent . from one of the photos I can see a bow in the arm. They do have a weak spot. You can unbend it of send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. The breach face insert also looks proud of the bolt. The safety retaining plate could be screwed down too hard which causes binding on the thumb safety.
American Pistolsmith Guild
Old 01-25-2020, 02:09 PM

BBBBill, and Greg Derr for the win...

Good news.
I was luckily able to get it to a gunsmith this morning and he was kind enough to fix it while I waited. Apparently there was some tweak, bend in the slide stop which he was able to fix along with some better fitment. It seems to be perfect now, and much better than when i got it.

I test fired just 3 rounds after i got home and it seems fine. Iíll give it a thorough shake down tomorrow because the closest range i stopped in on the way home looked like date night in the afternoon!

Iím thinking this pistol will be staying here, fingers crossed.

Iíll have a full range report tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:48 PM

I have a -41 I picked up last year. Very nice pistol of a quality not seen today. Get plenty of mags for it when you can. I have eleven or more.

There are extra barrels for sale on Gunbroker, Ebay, etc if you want to go longer or shorter. The gun is especially nice as it has the same grip and safety as a 1911.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I have a -41 I picked up last year. Very nice pistol of a quality not seen today. Get plenty of mags for it when you can. I have eleven or more.

There are extra barrels for sale on Gunbroker, Ebay, etc if you want to go longer or shorter. The gun is especially nice as it has the same grip and safety as a 1911.
I heard and read all good things about the 41 and then had this happen.

Hopefully, itís all good from here.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 PM

What, no love for post #2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
BBBBill, and Greg Derr for the win...

Good news.
I was luckily able to get it to a gunsmith this morning and he was kind enough to fix it while I waited. Apparently there was some tweak, bend in the slide stop which he was able to fix along with some better fitment. It seems to be perfect now, and much better than when i got it.

I test fired just 3 rounds after i got home and it seems fine. Iíll give it a thorough shake down tomorrow because the closest range i stopped in on the way home looked like date night in the afternoon!

Iím thinking this pistol will be staying here, fingers crossed.

Iíll have a full range report tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!!
No love for Post #2?

How about an honorable mention?

Long time M 41 shooter here, mine was born in 1962 and still going strong!

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-25-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
The gun is especially nice as it has the same grip and safety as a 1911.
Not exactly...but

CMM can fix that for you though.

http://www.cm-machine.com/Straight-B...l-41_p_44.html

You can also go the Herrett Route. I use these on a HS and they’re super grips

http://www.herrettstocks.com/trnrflat.htm

Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-25-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 AM

Try it with the grips removed before doing something else. may be you don't have enough clearance under the slide stop.Good luck.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Not exactly...but

CMM can fix that for you though.

http://www.cm-machine.com/Straight-B...l-41_p_44.html

You can also go the Herrett Route. I use these on a HS and theyíre super grips

http://www.herrettstocks.com/trnrflat.htm

You beat me to it. I also have both.

They're both great people to deal with and make great products.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
It's definitely and easy fix if it is caused by the drag mark as in the pic.

Does the slide still drag with the S/L removed?

Does the slide lock seem to be bent in that area?

Is there something behind it pushing it outward?

Also look at the same area on the slide.

Hang in there, as they say it isn't rocket surgery!

All the best in 2020,
My apologies JJfitch, you too nailed it!! And yes, you had it first and I missed it.

Last edited by Plantar5; 01-26-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:28 PM

Well, after a range trip earlier, All is well and it will be staying here.

The gun ran fine over 150 rounds with 2 of the 3 ammunitions I brought. CCI standard velocity and RWS high velocity semi auto ran perfectly. Blazer brass would not feed at all. At 7 and 10 yards, I was paying more attention to function than my accuracy, but the target is more reflective of my distracted shooting. I think I need to get used to the trigger a bit more and the black front sight wasn’t that easy to pick up (anyone change it?). Here’s some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
A02E71B2-E3AC-4E77-9006-285A2188B46E.jpeg   5AE60234-39FD-4FBF-AEA6-FDFCD2706F54.jpeg   DEE7DBC5-0077-4CA4-93CE-F5305D91FBED.jpeg   6E872B8C-DF65-4DB8-A30D-9EB44159AE76.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 01-26-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:36 PM

OP:

"My apologies JJfitch, you too nailed it!! And yes, you had it first and I missed it."

Just messing with you...M41's have been around since 1957 with few changes. The gold standard for "everyman's" Gallery Bull's Eye.

All the best in 2020,
Old 02-18-2020, 07:02 AM

The problem has returned. Ive shot roughly 400 rounds since it got fixed. Any misdeeds I chalked up to different ammo used. Field stripped, lubed and put 200 more through it yesterday and the problem has returned, albeit not as severe. When i field stripped it, the slide stop fell out/off, which was curious, but put it back and seemed fine.

Heres the problem, With the magazine out the slide locks back/open. I can get the slide to go forward into battery when i apply some downward pressure. I noticed at the range and started holding the slide stop down with my thumb and it ran better, but obviously something is still wrong. The gun ran better with HV ammo vs standard velocity CCI, btw.

Question is do I send it back to S&W? I emailed S&W but an answer will be 3-5 days. What else might be causing this to recurr or does the slidestop and spring need replacing? Is something else pre disposing it to this problem? I tried Brownells but they are out of stock.

The smith that fixed it only works 3 days a week so i wont have time to get it him for a few days.
If the experienced ones need more pics, let me know.
Any suggestions?

Btw, if someone can post a pic of their slidestop with the barrel removed, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Plantar5; 02-18-2020 at 07:05 AM.