1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Thank you for the excellent references!!

What is the best source for new/additional magazines?
The new High Standard Texas magazines are the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytoremember View Post
I have a Volquartsen LLV, SW 41, both are very good but my Hammerli 215S can't miss. The International, 208, 215 are great choices and worth the extra $$$ compared to the LLV and 41. Usually shoot Eley. Last time I used CCI standard velocity in my 41 I had 3 hang fires!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
I've been shooting Gallery Bulls-eye, at least 30 years! The only issues I've had were attributed to dirty gun! (Probably 500 rounds between cleaning!)
If you're purely into target shooting with standard velocity the Hammerli 208S and 208 are tops. Some of them need to have the barrels re-lined. Price adds up quick with the limited gunsmith support. For most shooters the $2,500+ entry point is pretty tough to justify unless your in precision pistol. I was blown away with the new Match Gun MG2, shot it better than the 208S. Test targets are almost unbelievable that they come with. Each person is different and works best for them.

KC Crawford worked on the USMC Model 41s. If you are having issues, I would send it to him. Phenomenal trigger work as well.

https://kcskustomcreations.com/kcs-kustom-creations/

1. Trigger job 75.00
2. Modify ejector/slide stop 25.00
3. Tighten bolt in slide, true bolt face & set bolt alignment 100.00
4. Adjust / Time trigger bar 50.00
Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 01-15-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I was blown away with the new Match Gun MG2
An automatic pistol with a tube magazine, how strange.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
UAT is not on the SCSW chart, closest thing is UAM for 1997. Only year for U-- at all.
Yes, thatís what I came up with also in my search. The seller confirmed the same, 1997.
Thanks Jim.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:30 AM

Itís a done deal and should get shipped out today hopefully..
Looking forward to shooting it and seeing if i can handle the recoil...
Hereís a pic..ill post more when it gets here.

Where can i get some extra mags? S&W didnít seem to have them on their website
Attached Thumbnails
A8B109B9-8708-4D67-93E0-DC064CF6AD5C.jpeg   0FD49E71-E92C-4A3B-B2DB-6947559FB5C1.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006204562?pid=351738
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
You didn't say what you want it for.

If you want a pistol that will work with any cheap promotional load, then no, the 41 isn't for you.

If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.

If ammo versatility is more important than ultimate accuracy, then buy one of the higher end Rugers or Brownings...or that ugly new S&W.
So true!
My M-41 needs to have it's action regularly cleaned in order to perform well.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 AM

Sweet!

Now it's time to lust after the 5.5" heavy barrel! Current examples will come with threaded holes for mounting a rail for optics/red dot! Once you have that put the 5.5" Sport barrel on your radar!

Magazines are plentiful since they also fit other S&W models. The two most common stoppages occur due to lack of cleaning and proper lube and misshapen magazine feed lips.

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Itís a done deal and should get shipped out today hopefully..
Looking forward to shooting it and seeing if i can handle the recoil...
Hereís a pic..ill post more when it gets here.

Where can i get some extra mags? S&W didnít seem to have them on their website

Congrats!!

Try Cabelas, Gunbroker, and eBay.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 AM

Grabagun has had good deals on Mags, about $20 per last time I got some.

Oh, CDNN also. Almost forgot. Got some good mag deals there as well in the past.

Last edited by havanajim; 01-16-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM

All of the information is greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 PM

So, after having a recurrent issue (slide stop causing a FTRB), and a local gunsmith making it better but it’s still not right. I emailed S&W and just sent the pistol out to them for their evaluation and repair. It will be 4-5 week turnaround.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:50 PM

My pre-A-prefix from 1968 or so. Yep , very finely made , fitted and finished , very accurate , very reliable. Stick with standard velocity ammo or install a Wolff xtra-power spring kit.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010006_05.JPG  
Old 02-21-2020, 04:04 PM

The SV CCI ran ok, mine liked the mini mag CCI better.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:05 PM

I have one made in the 1980s I use it in our 22 ppc competition I use nothing but thunderbolts and get dime size groups
Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 PM

my older m41 is just awesome
Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Have any of you had problems with the slide stop or misdeeds in general?
Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Happened a few times when I ran cheap bulk ammo. M41ís do not like cheap bulk ammo. It is highly recommended that you use CCI standard velocity ammo. My go to ammo is SK Standard Plus. I also use CCI from time to time. I no longer buy cheap bulk ammo. I also clean and lube my guns after every range outing.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
Happened a few times when I ran cheap bulk ammo. M41ís do not like cheap bulk ammo. It is highly recommended that you use CCI standard velocity ammo. My go to ammo is SK Standard Plus. I also use CCI from time to time. I no longer buy cheap bulk ammo. I also clean and lube my guns after every range outing.
Iíve gone through some various ammo and found the CCI mini mags, RWS, ran better than the SV cci. Non were cheap bulk ammo. But, the gun is on its way back to S&W to hopefully fit a new slide stop and whatever else it could need.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
If you understand the M41 is a target revolver intended for accuracy over all else...And understand that you'll have to find a few loads that work well and shoot well; then you'll be VERY happy with it.
Not quite a 41 revolver, but close at 30....

Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I've broken two slide stops and peened the slide area where it impacts the slide stop to the point where it won't hold the slide open any longer. Either the leaf spring that holds the slide stop down breaks, or the slide stop itself breaks where the leaf spring is staked into it. I put a lot of rounds through my 41's and the slide peening is evident on both - this is a weak area in the design. I know a pretty proficient (to say the least) welder who fixed one of them, the other hasn't gotten to the point where it won't lock back yet. I keep a spare slide and slide stop for those times when needed. All of my 41's have been "worked" on and I just find it easier to deal with the repairs myself than the pain of sending them back to S&W where some of the "work" may get reversed.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the response saread. I first had a gunsmith do a repair which worked for about 4-500 rounds, at which time it ran great, but it started again and to a more minor degree. I thought id try sending it to the mothership in hope they put in a new slide stop/spring and whatever else in hope of fixing it for good. I agree that it seems to be a design flaw which you would think would be fixed after 50+ years in production.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response saread. I first had a gunsmith do a repair which worked for about 4-500 rounds, at which time it ran great, but it started again and to a more minor degree. I thought id try sending it to the mothership in hope they put in a new slide stop/spring and whatever else in hope of fixing it for good. I agree that it seems to be a design flaw which you would think would be fixed after 50+ years in production.
I don't think that S&W necessarily sees the slide stop/slide interaction as a design flaw. Not many people put the rounds through their 41s that I do, and those that do tend to use folks like David Sams, or KC Crawford, or Dave Salyer, or Clark Customs, or other eminently qualified 'smiths to work on them. S&W probably doesn't see this issue enough to warrant a redesign and modification to tooling. Especially given the low production numbers. A slide stop is pretty easy to swap out when they go haywire. The slide peening is a little more difficult and I seem to be the only person in existence that has that particular issue. Oh well, I will deal with it. My current interaction with S&W isn't going particularly well and I know good gunsmiths. I don't see a need on my end to get the mothership involved.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saread View Post
I don't think that S&W necessarily sees the slide stop/slide interaction as a design flaw. Not many people put the rounds through their 41s that I do, and those that do tend to use folks like David Sams, or KC Crawford, or Dave Salyer, or Clark Customs, or other eminently qualified 'smiths to work on them. S&W probably doesn't see this issue enough to warrant a redesign and modification to tooling. Especially given the low production numbers. A slide stop is pretty easy to swap out when they go haywire. The slide peening is a little more difficult and I seem to be the only person in existence that has that particular issue. Oh well, I will deal with it. My current interaction with S&W isn't going particularly well and I know good gunsmiths. I don't see a need on my end to get the mothership involved.
So soon after the first go Ďround, i thought id see how S&W handles it.
The smith I took it to was very good i thought and I wouldnít hesitate to use him again. Sounds like you shoot yours alot, I have a similar intention with mine.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 AM

So, apparently my pistol is due for delivery back to me today. All i received was the email with tracking information that a package is coming from Springfield, Ma. and no other heads up email or invoice?? I can only cautiously assume its my pistol. We’ll see, I guess.

Is it normal for S&W to fix something and send it back without any communication?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:01 AM

Well at least you received tracking info. Now you will want to be home or at least have another adult there to sign for the pistol.

Some manufacturers are terrible with customer service while others are extraordinary. I won't go into detail, but as an FFL dealer I have experiences with many of them, and in most cases it is a last resort to send a firearm back for repair.

S&W ranks on the higher end of the customer service list in my opinion though.

Good luck with your 41, they are great pistols when you figure out what they want.