Too expensive for duty? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Too expensive for duty?

All, I will start by saying I am NOT a 1911 “guy” but have a fellow Officer (Lieutenant) who is 100% a 1911 guy. This Lt. is a member of this forum and I know he’ll see this posting. He’s been a cop a long time (30 years) and had been talking about rewarding himself with an ACW and has been saving money to this end. However, recently he’s a little gun shy (pun intended) and says that it is too expensive for duty use. I think he’s worked hard for too many years to let this stop him. Help me convince him to “pull the trigger” on a ACW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2020, 06:12 PM

Nonsense. ACWs are not that expensive, and he deserves to carry a high-end 1911 in .45ACP. Alchemy makes top-shelf guns for less money than the bigger companies. I have a Classic Carry on-order for off-duty carry.

I alternate for on-duty carry:

*Wilson Stainless Protector
*Wilson CQB Elite
*Baer TRS
*Nighthawk GRP
*Colt Gunsite Custom Carry

I recommend he get a 5" gun that is not blued. Stainless or a miracle finish is the way to go for those who work Patrol. Alchemy does hard chrome, which is fine.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 05-26-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM

I agree with KR. ACW is a bargin when it comes to high end 1911s. They have all of the features you could ask for and the options they offer make them over the top in fit, finish and performance.

For complete disclosure, I own 2 ACWs, a Prime and a Classic Carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 PM

He's a grown man...how about we just let him decide for himself.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
He's a grown man...how about we just let him decide for himself.
Yes, he has to decide on his own, but this does not contribute to the original question.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 05-26-2020, 10:43 PM

Carry your best, always.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 PM

I carried a Springfield Pro as a duty weapon for years. My only concern with a ACP is the blue finish. Duty use could be hard on the finish. He might consider the hard chrome option. I worked with a deputy who had difficulty shooting our issued Sig 220. She stated she was much more accurate with her Glock 17. She was allowed to carry a personally owned Glock. She told me she didn't want to spend the money for a holster and mag pouch. I told her she should carry what she thought she could win with. I agree with gumbee. Carry your best always.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Nonsense. ACWs are not that expensive, and he deserves to carry a high-end 1911 in .45ACP. Alchemy makes top-shelf guns for less money than the bigger companies. I have a Classic Carry on-order for off-duty carry.

I alternate for on-duty carry:

*Wilson Stainless Protector
*Wilson CQB Elite
*Baer TRS
*Nighthawk GRP
*Colt Gunsite Custom Carry

I recommend he get a 5" gun that is not blued. Stainless or a miracle finish is the way to go for those who work Patrol. Alchemy does hard chrome, which is fine.
Absolutely on target, why wouldn't you carry the best firearm you could afford?
If I need it, I want the very best protecting my family and me. Period
Old 05-27-2020, 08:52 AM

I have 3 ACW 1911s, all are "The Retro", and all done before Rob became a manufacturer. One is a Colt Series 70 re-issue in polished blue, one is Springfield Mil-Spec in H.A.R.D., and one is a Colt Series 80 in Black T.

None of those guns has ever malfunctioned once. They are accurate, 100% reliable, and as tough as nails. In fact, last week I accidentally ran over the Black T Colt in my driveway after it fell off one of my big-ass mud tires on my truck. I was sick about it, but the freaking gun came out almost completely unscathed. I can't recommend his guns enough and I love that Black T finish. It's slick, shiny, and tough as it gets.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 AM

You put a pistol on a tire, while parked in your driveway?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 PM

I know a cop here who carries a Wilson.
He had to qualify at the Instructor level 96% instead of 70% to get permission, but he has been shooting since he was a kid. Now he has 20 years in, time flies.

But it is just a CQB, nothing fancy.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:41 PM

#33 is talking about me.

My 30 year gift was supposed to be an ACW CC in .45. Paying for college had me tap on the brakes. My mind drifts alot.... trying to thin the herd because there are some just sitting. Then I ask myself.... do I need it? NO or do I want it? YES.

I have 3 guns that I no long shoot (now 2, hopefully just 1 soon) that I need to sell which should get me 80-90% for a Classic Carry. #1 sold, #2 is waiting on a response.... so hopefully #3 will go in the next 6 months.

While I will carry the ACW from a desk driving standpoint, there is nothing wrong with my current duty carry. MCOP driven hard and still going strong. Even though it has some miles, it will run. Hell, Hilton Yam touched it, that should be good enough HAHAHAHA!

Long live thumb safeties!!!! (message for #33)

Old 05-28-2020, 01:43 PM

I am a police lieutenant and I carried my Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight for several years on duty. The OP's friend should definitely reward himself with a high end pistol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

www.jsggunleather.weebly.com
Old 05-28-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtGing View Post
I am a police lieutenant and I carried my Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight for several years on duty. The OP's friend should definitely reward himself with a high end pistol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I had a Mono HVYWGT in the early 2000s. Dumb Azz me for letting it go.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:26 PM

The only downside to carrying a high end 1911 for duty is if you get stuck having to use it in the line of duty.

It'll be taken away as evidence and you never know how long it's going to take to get it back. That's the only thing holding me back from carrying something too expensive. Currently my Springfield Loaded Operator has been treating me well as a duty weapon.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
The only downside to carrying a high end 1911 for duty is if you get stuck having to use it in the line of duty.

It'll be taken away as evidence and you never know how long it's going to take to get it back. That's the only thing holding me back from carrying something too expensive. Currently my Springfield Loaded Operator has been treating me well as a duty weapon.
That's exactly the point of carrying something really nice! So, what you're saying is your gun is more important than someone's life you're trying to protect?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I have plenty of 1911's I can carry, plus a few others that cost CONSIDERABLY LESS than my EDC (Wilson Combat Tactical Supregrade Professional). If it is taken after a shooting, I will have much bigger things to worry about than the cost of that gun; just keep things in perspective and it is not hard to carry what you feel is best for the job and have complete confidence in. My life, and my wife and grandchildren's lives, are worth far more than that Wilson supergrade is. Carry what you shoot the best and are most confident in, very little else really matters in the end. JMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
...In fact, last week I accidentally ran over the Black T Colt in my driveway after it fell off one of my big-ass mud tires on my truck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
You put a pistol on a tire, while parked in your driveway?
Wait, you put a pistol on a tire, while parked in your driveway, and forgot it was there and ran it over?

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
That's exactly the point of carrying something really nice! So, what you're saying is your gun is more important than someone's life you're trying to protect?
Obviously not, stop making rash, immature statements.

The firearm I carry is 100% reliable so that's not an issue.

By your reasoning, we should have the most expensive of everything. Bently patrol vehicles, uniforms made by Armani, Gucci duty belts, etc.. Buying the most expensive, at the officer's personal expense is not always the best option.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Obviously not, stop making rash, immature statements.

The firearm I carry is 100% reliable so that's not an issue.

By your reasoning, we should have the most expensive of everything. Bently patrol vehicles, uniforms made by Armani, Gucci duty belts, etc.. Buying the most expensive, at the officer's personal expense is not always the best option.
I've seen enough of tray's posts over the years, that I don't think that is what he was really trying to make as a point, and I'm not either. The point is, the cost is not the relevant factor, what is relevant is what you shoot the best and have the most confidence in for hitting the intended target and being reliable. IF that happens to be comparatively expensive so be it, but it is NOT a requirement to successfully engage an aggressor.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:

It'll be taken away as evidence and you never know how long it's going to take to get it back. That's the only thing holding me back from carrying something too expensive.
Which is why you buy a SECOND gun that is exactly the same except for the serial number! Duh!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep2386 View Post
I worked with a deputy who had difficulty shooting our issued Sig 220. She stated she was much more accurate with her Glock 17. She was allowed to carry a personally owned Glock. She told me she didn't want to spend the money for a holster and mag pouch.
This mentality blows my mind! Some of the guys at my local PD considered their gun to be a “thing” on their belt. They failed to care for their pistol and had no idea if the gun would work after sitting dirty in their holster for six months. It’s only the lives of themselves and others on the line and they are not taking responsibility and taking training seriously.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 AM

Too expensive for carry?

It shouldn't be and the reason is that these are what these better built guns were specifically intended for. Odds are much greater in your favor that a well built Semi Custom will stand up to much harder use than any mass produced 1911. They certainly are much better built than any of those mass produced 1911s which cost a whole lot less.

If you somehow can't get over that for some reason or that's not what you choose to do then that's your thing.

Last edited by Dddrees; 05-29-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 AM

Yes I put a pistol on my truck tire, forgot about it, and moved the truck and ran over the gun. Do you now understand? I didn't say it was smart. It wasn't smart. It was dumb. Okay???
Old 05-29-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
My life, and my wife and grandchildren's lives, are worth far more than that Wilson supergrade is.
Your quote and specifically my point, thank you Sir. You're response was just more eloquent Grandpas50AE. lol
Tray