1911Forum banner

Help Me Decide Which Compact 9mm WC to Order

5K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  Guyfromohio 
#1 ·
I am looking to order a WC compact size (4" barrel or shorter) 9mm for EDC. I am looking at 3 options: EDC X9, X-Tac Compact, and X-TAC Sentinel. For all three I'd add a light rail and magwell. Since I live in NY, I am limited to 10 rnd magazines which somewhat reduces the advantage of the X9. Also, I like the XTAC pattern, it seems to me to give a very nice grip. I prefer a gun I can get all of my fingers around the grip. I don't like having my pinky finger floating in the wind. Lastly, my budget is such that I want to look at guns with a base price under $3000.

I presently own a full size 1911 (not a WC) so I am familiar with the platform.

For those who actually own and have shot any of the 3 guns (EDC X9, X-Tac Compact, and X-TAC Sentinel) maybe you can help me address these questions:

-Is the trigger on the X9 just a good a standard 1911 style trigger? I have read some reports of the X9 triggers having more creep than "normal" WC triggers. I prefer a short, crisp breaking trigger. My present 1911 has a terrific trigger, so I am spoiled.

-While all 3 guns have grips shorter than a full size 1911, can you still get all of your fingers around the grip? Especially wondering about the shorter X-TAC Sentinel.

-The X9 lighter aluminum frame vs. the steel frames on the other 2, do you see much difference in recoil and muzzle flip from 9mm rounds?

-Is the lack of the grip safety on the X9 a benefit or does it, in your opinion, make it less safe to carry?

-Do you think the X-TAC Sentinel's 3 1/2" barrel vs the others 4" barrel makes any real difference in accuracy in shots 15 yrds and closer?

-Do you perceive any difference in "natural pointing" between these guns?

I appreciate any other comments you might make on these 3 guns.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll be brief, because I do not meet your criteria as owning these specific models.

My input is to include a long-standing, time-proven model in your candidates. That model is the Stealth.

But I understand it is a years-ago model, not a recent favorite of the moment, so it doesn't match your criteria. But it's still a superb selection.

#4 ·
I've found that for my medium glove size hands the compact grip is the smallest I can go for a full grip, however never tried a Sentinel with a magwell. The extra 1/4 inch might help just enough. SMP has a nicely optioned Sentinel Xtac w magwell if you want to take a look. I'm also in NY so stayed away from the X9, extra capacity didn't really help here. I haven't fired my new Sentinel Compact yet due to the lockdown but found my NHC Carry with the same barrel length to be very accurate at close distances.

Attachments

#6 ·
- I have an EDC X9 and find the trigger on par with the other WC 1911's I've owned through the years - currently have 1 other but have previously owned 4. The trigger is very nice and crisp with minimal creep.
- I can easily get all 3 fingers on the grip and don't feel the circumference to be an issue - mine does have the magwell.
- No issue with muzzle flip at all since the gun still has decent heft in the slide, even with the alloy frame.
- It points very similar to a 1911 and has a very natural feel.
- I find it to be a very fun gun for general shooting and the excellent accuracy along with light 9mm recoil definitely help for that.
- A grip safety is a plus for a carry 1911 but with a conscious effort on proper trigger awareness and always double-checking the manual safety, I find it to be a safe gun for carry.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I'd suggest choosing the one you prefer as the better gun for your purposes. It is a lifetime investment and after a few years the price difference -- if you should happen to go "up" -- is unlikely to matter to you. But if you think the lower cost gun, which omits some 1911 components such as the grip safety, is a better gun for your purposes, then choose it.

A gun anywhere in this price range is a lifetime investment. Get the one you believe is best for your purposes.

#12 ·
Zogger, I do not own compacts because my hands are not large but they are wide, and the empty mag reload often pinches my pinky and leaves a blood blister. Having said that, I have shot several XTAC compacts in both .45 and 9mm, and even the .45's are very manageable. They perform well, and IIRC they start at about $2850 base price, and with the A/T it only adds about $150 and ends up about $3000 for a very good gun. If you want a lightweight frame, a few hundred more.

#21 ·
If you are considering the Sentinel and are comfortable with a pistol that size take a look at the EDC X9S, it’s small holds 10 rounds and mine has been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#23 ·
Late to comment but I’ll share a few thoughts. If I lived in a state that did not allow a 15 round magazine, I would not have an X9. My X9 has a phenomenal trigger but being an X9 trigger it is wider and rounded on the edges which gives it a totally different feel for me than a standard 1911 trigger. I have plenty of Wilson carry guns but have been carrying my X9 the last several days and will be heading out on a trip Saturday and will be carrying it then, too. My wife’s X9 seemed a little springy and creepy when it was new but has developed into an excellent trigger. No creep, no springyness.

My Compact .45 Stealth with a round butt mag well is my primary summer carry gun. Just having that little extra for your pinky makes it great for shooting. I would not like it without the RBMW. Hand wise I would say that I have large, skinny, old man hands.

I bought my Stealth (compact grip) to replace a 3” Kimber Raptor. I think that the compact grip on a 4” slide is the perfect gun for carry when clothing requires something smaller than a full sized gun. The barrel is easy to conceal with a IWB holster and so you have the best of both worlds.

It sounds like an X-Tac Compact with a RBMW would be the perfect gun for you.

I am looking to get a hold of and shoot an X-9S for the rare times that I carry a small gun but it would have to be of a size that it would replace my P238 for the quick trip to the hardware store type carry.

#30 ·
Here’s a CQB Compact with RBMW, it’s a great pistol also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#31 · (Edited)
This is my department, lol.

The best one I have ever shot is the NH Counselor, period. Accurate, low recoil, I like the integrated magwell as well

I own a WC ULCC, a Sentinel Compact in 9mm with magwell, a Sentinel Compact in 38 super without a magwell, a Stealth (which is flat out fantastic), a NH T4, an EDC X9S.

#32 ·
This is my department, lol.

The best one I have ever shot is the NH Counselor, period. Accurate, low recoil, I like the integrated magwell as well

I own a WC ULCC, a Sentinel Compact in 9mm with magwell, a Sentinel Compact in 38 super without a magwell, a Stealth (which is flat out fantastic), a NH T4, an EDC X9S.
Why do you like the Stealth so much?

#33 · (Edited)
^^^^

I'll just add-on to my earlier input.

The Stealth has a long history of extremely happy customers, because it shoots so well, so easily for such a compact package. Measured by hits on target, its scores high in the hands of real shooters of varying talents, shooting under time/other constraints designed to simulate practical SD situations

Due to all of the innovations Wilson has come up with in recent years -- e.g., perhaps beginning with the Spec Ops 9 (now discontinued) -- the focus of most sub-forum discussions has revolved around whatever is new. Whatever is new also tends to attract a lot of customers...and sales revenue. People want to try out what is new.

But nothing has changed about the Stealth; there's nothing about it that's new to discuss -- but even though there's nothing new to discuss, it remains a really superb SD firearm, legitimately describeable as a 1911(IMHO) -- and I'm not so sure that the newest designs have anything (other than larger magazine capacity) on the older Stealth and Carry Comp designs.

It's simply how well these guns perform, especially in the context of a hypothetical critical SD situation. They are really good. The Carry Comp was, and remains, my choice, but it's really a close call between it and the Stealth. I'd take either over the newer designs, especially designs that really aren't 1911s (due to fundamental differences in dimensions and fire/safety control parts).

---

:D Given that this is the 1911 Forum, those of us who are pretty devout fans of the 1911 can perhaps be forgiven for expressing those sentiments here.:D

#35 ·
Don't have the exact models you are looking for but I do have an X9 and some experience with similar models.

In your shoes, wanting a Magwell, I'd go with the X Tac Compact.

Same grip length as the X9 and you can use the 9 round ETM mags that will fit the Magwell nicely and allow a bit more space for a full grip (I have L/XL glove hands and can fit all my fingers on a compact grip just fine) and the single stack Magwell is much slimmer compared to the X9 if carry is a consideration.

In fact, I'd CCW is a thought, I'd also get the aluminum frame as well if in 9mm as I don't feel the need for a steel frame in a 9mm 1911.

My X9 trigger is very nice, but I would say my fathers CQB (the only other Wilson I shoot regularly) is slightly better, but its awful close.

XTac texture is nice, took me a while to acclimate but I think I like it better than checkering now and I think the 4" barrel is ideal, but that is largely up to my specific eyesight, anything longer is difficult for me to get a good clear front sight.

#38 · (Edited)
An update. I am still deciding but now I am leaning toward a XTAC Sentinel with stainless steel frame and a matte bead blasted finish. I am also considering a magwell, but I am not sure if they can do a magwell with the stainless steel. Also a light rail. It would be like the attachment w/o the ambi-safety and with the lightrail and magwell. The price is a little more than I wanted, but within the budget.

Attachments

#41 ·
You just as well get the magwell if you are going to use the supplied ETM mags because they stick out as much as the magwell will. Wilson really should supply one flush fit mag for carry with the Sentinel as their mags make it as tall as their compact frame pistols. i am planning on having one flush fit compact mag cut down to fit my Sentinel for an in the holster mag. I will lose one round capacity but be almost 1/4" shorter in height. My spare mags will be the ETMs. Just seemed very wrong to chop a pistols height for concealment then add the length back on the mag base.

Hey WC! Are you listening?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.