How about the guns that you are glad that you own? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-30-2019, 10:05 PM

How about the guns that you are glad that you own?

But are really not much fun to shoot. This likely will not be a thread for everyone. But I am sure some will post here. I was posting to another thread in the AR subforum. and I started to think about this.

I purchased a S&W M&P AR-10 a while back for the usual reason. I just wanted one. At any rate, I am quite pleased with the purchase. I put some decent glass on it and it runs like a top, with very good accuracy with a wide range of factory ammo. Additionally I get the feeling that if I have people trying to kill me. That effective deployment of this weapon might well give them a serious attitude adjustment. No beefs to date with the gun, and I consider it money well spent. I have no intention of getting rid of this gun any time soon. This despite any possible future assistance from politicians.

However It is quite the beast out on the range. It is heavy, muzzle blast is significant. Shooting a dozen 20 round magazines out of it will have you looking for a couple of Motrin, unless of course you are someone that loves pain. My wife gives me a dirty look everytime I pull it out at the range.

I am guessing that I am not the only person with guns like this. So what do you have that you are glad to have just to have them? But not something that you like to shoot a lot, for whatever reason.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02432.JPG  
Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I have two classic guns that I am glad to own but don't particularly care to shoot. One is a 1940 German Luger with a horrid trigger pull and crummy sights, and the other is a Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 with pretty sharp recoil and a grip safety that digs into my hand. I own both just to take them out on occasion and look at them, but not to shoot.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:38 PM

Yup... A K31 and SMLE...

Last edited by kydave; 06-30-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 11:35 PM

Replica Thompson....HEAVY and the metal butt is slick...added some skateboard tape to the butt and its better...

I love/hate to shoot it...not just heavy it'll eat up money very rapidly....

Sure is fun though....

A challenge to clean up the mess made after range time....

[IMG]https://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=558984&stc=1&d=1561955 613[IMG/]
Attached Thumbnails
Thompson with mag Right.jpg  
Old 06-30-2019, 11:38 PM

I can't say that I've ever enjoyed shooting a Winchester Model 94 Carbine off the bench rest. Love owning this immediate pre-war .32 Winchester Special. Will develop handloads and verify sights, but the rifle's just not configured to fit me.

The 94 Winchester's nothing though to cozying up to the 1904 vintage Winchester Model 1895 .405 WCF on hand here. Configure a rifle that's too light for the heavy cartridge for which it's chambered, put a stock on it that's too short, has too much drop, and features a narrow curved steel butt plate and about two 5-shot groups off the bench rest is all I want out of it before I go do something else for awhile. Love owing the rifle and cartridge though.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 AM

The Mauser HSc comes immediately to mind. Mine is a 1970s American Eagle “1 of 5000” model in .380, and so not particularly collectible (compared to certain wartime variants), but I picked it up NIB/unfired a few years ago for about half of what they go for on GB these days. I’ve actually never shot the one I own — I just bought it because I think the HSc is one of the coolest-looking pistols ever made. I had fired a few of others prior to buying mine, however, and didn’t find them enjoyable to shoot at all.

The HSc’s sleek lines beguile you into thinking it might be a winner ergonomically. It’s anything but. It sits as awkwardly in my large hands as anything I've ever shot and naturally points very poorly for me (like 15 degrees to the right). It manages the very difficult achievement of making you notice the recoil of the .32 ACP round, and it's definitely not enjoyable in .380. The typical sharp recoil impulse of a straight-blowback .380 combines with the shape of the backstrap to really stab the area between my thumb and forefinger more than any other blowback .380. The DA pull is gritty and very heavy, in my experience. The sights are awful. There’s just nothing fun about shooting it. The HSc is lovely to look at, though.

Not sure I should admit this here, but I bought a Hi-Point in .45 a few years ago, purely out of morbid curiosity. Well, a quick few mags scratched that itch. The massive slide and heavy spring mean the recoil is tame compared to what you might expect from a straight-blowback .45. But, no surprise, basically everything sucks — ergonomics, trigger, sights, slide serrations, etc. It’s amusing for a few mags, partly by virtue of being the most hideous-looking pistol ever made, but the novelty wears off quickly, especially if you enjoy shooting high-end guns. I’ve been meaning to get rid of it for years but just haven’t gotten around to it.

I guess I’ll give a mention to the Browning Hi-Power as well, although it’s not really fair to mention it alongside the previous two here. I really do love my 1970s Hi-Power, and I’d like to add a nice T-series or two eventually, but I love the elegant looks and the history of the guns much more than the shooting experience, which I find uninspiring. The trigger is an abomination in design and a serious disappointment in feel (on all of the several unmodified Hi-Powers I’ve shot). The sights aren’t great, whether fixed or adjustable. Accuracy is fine but generally unremarkable. And if my attention drifts and I hold the gun too high, the hammer can bite the bejeezus out of my hand. Anyway, I love the Hi-Power, but I just don’t like to shoot it all that much compared to all of the competition in the safe, and mine doesn’t get out much at all. Maybe Jim Garthwaite, Don Williams, or Ted Yost could build one I’d find fun to shoot.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Charter Arms Bulldog with heavy bullets
Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 AM

I have a 1953 Ithaca Model 37N in 20 gauge with a solid rib. It is a beautiful gun. I love owning it, but do not like shooting it. It is too long to swing and too slippery at the butt. Part of its charm is that it still has the original butt plate. Because of its age, I do not want to modify it to fit me, so I will take it out occasionally and miss with it.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Thompson Contender 44 mag in a 10" octagon barrel.

3 shots and the trigger guard turns my knuckles into a bloody mess.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

As soon as I read this I laughed. Only someone who owns one of these can relate. I shoot 44 magnums a lot without issue, but the design of this particular combination wrecks havoc on my knuckles also.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

I had forgotten about that. Ouch.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 AM

I am a recoil junkie. My rimfire handguns and rifles are not fun for me to shoot, but have their purposes. I smile every time I shoot my AR-15 in .50 Beowulf, my AR-10, my .44 magnum revolvers, and my .454 Casull revolver.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-01-2019, 12:25 PM

My Ruger 99/44 Deerfield Carbine. It’ll shoot 3 rounds of the 4 into a clover at 100yds with mediocre Vortex Diamondback glass on it. Just don’t ask that fourth round to land within 4 inches of the three round group. It runs without an issue, and has taken quite a few deer, hogs, and an auodad sheep. It’s just a fun gun to own, and fits everyone in the family. I only wish I could use lead bullets for practice.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I am a recoil junkie. My rimfire handguns and rifles are not fun for me to shoot, but have their purposes. I smile every time I shoot my AR-15 in .50 Beowulf, my AR-10, my .44 magnum revolvers, and my .454 Casull revolver.
Wanna buy a 10" octagon 44 mag Contender barrel.......???
Old 07-01-2019, 02:14 PM

My 460 S&W is only fun to shoot in small doses. I'm glad I have other choices.
Paul
Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 PM

I gotta say - it only took 30+ years of buying & building my own , but I think I'm finally at a spot, where I'm happy AND satisfied with EVERYTHING I own... with the possible exception, of my Ruger Mk.III (I KNOW I'd rather have a Mk.1 or II)... but I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet, because it still works.

If the flag goes up tomorrow, I feel confident that I can come to the battle and run whut I brung, with a clear conscience and a light heart!

Do I hafta provide an actual list now?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Don't really have anything that I don't "like" to shoot. Some I like more than others. But I do have a DW44V10 that was a lot of fun in my silhouette shooting days. Now it kinda hurts. Even with light 215 gr loads.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 PM

My Ruger Super Redhawk with the 7.5' barrel in .454 Casull. I have the Alaskan .454 as well, and it is much more manageable than the longer barrel, the standard size just hammers you! About 10 rounds is enough for me unless Im wearing a glove.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But are really not much fun to shoot.
So what do you have that you are glad to have just to have them? But not something that you like to shoot a lot, for whatever reason.
A TOZ-35M: the Martini action makes it too much trouble loading to shoot much; but when I wonder: ďHow accurately am I capable of shooting?Ē, that pistol has the answer.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 07-01-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Add a title
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM

A couple...

Old 07-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Iíd have to give the top spot to my S&W M&P 340. Itís horrendous to shoot full house magnums, even with beefy CTC grips, but itís ideal for pocket carry, accurate and not too unpleasant with .38 Special Gold Dots. 500 mag is just about tied for the top spot.

I guess itís a love/hate relationship. But, Iím never without my 340, so I love it more than I hate it.

As far as long guns, it would have to be my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Govt. Itís a brute, but itís butter smooth, accurate and a blast to shoot.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:08 PM

AJ Ord Thomas 45. I had to have it. It's got a lot of potential design wise...but
It's got a 100 # trigger.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:13 PM

I never really sought out ultra hard kicking guns. And therefore I enjoy shooting all of my my guns: 22, 38, 9mm, 357, 44 mag, .556, 6.5, 30-30, 12 gauge, and 308. If anything bothers me it's shooting a 12 gauge with slugs or 3" heavy steel loads, or shooting a 357 magnum on a cold day.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 PM

I'm glad to have each and everyone of mine. Every one of them give me pleasure or evoke memories in their own way and serve individual but sometimes overlapping purpose.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8691 View Post
My Ruger Super Redhawk with the 7.5' barrel in .454 Casull. I have the Alaskan .454 as well, and it is much more manageable than the longer barrel, the standard size just hammers you! About 10 rounds is enough for me unless Im wearing a glove.
For a second I thought about adding my Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454 Casull to my earlier list, but I do actually enjoy shooting it.

It can be a bit painful, though. The combination of the slick laminated hardwood grips of the Premier Grade version and the traditional slim single-action revolver grip profile makes it a challenge to keep the gun from spinning back in my hand a bit with the hottest rounds and giving me a little slice one way or another, even with its heavy 10” barrel — especially when my hand gets a little sweaty in warmer weather (i.e., most of the year). I imagine it’s quite a bit more pleasant to shoot with the Field Grade’s rubber grips.

I don’t mind shooting a few dozen of the hotter .41 Mag., .44 Mag., or .50 AE rounds in a single outing, but all of the guns I shoot those calibers in give me a much better grip to hold onto. My .454 is the only gun I use shooting gloves for; if I shoot a box of 20 full-house rounds without them, my hand will be fairly diced up by the end. With the gloves, it’s a blast to shoot.