Commander sized lightweight ?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Commander sized lightweight ??

As the title says, I’m looking at commander sized lightweight 1911’s.

How is Colt stacking up these days compared to other similarly priced competitors?

Thanks
George MacDonald
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 AM

Check out the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander. Also, the ECP and TCP are good choices. I have the Valkyrie commander, now discontinued, and it's one of my favorites.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
As the title says, Iím looking at commander sized lightweight 1911ís.

How is Colt stacking up these days compared to other similarly priced competitors?

Thanks
Not well, all the other brands are better for the money most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_compulsive View Post
Check out the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander. Also, the ECP and TCP are good choices. I have the Valkyrie commander, now discontinued, and it's one of my favorites.
+1911 on the Dan Wesson. I recently bought a DW Valor Commander and I love it. I think the Vigil is #1 on my next gun to buy list. I have not owned a Colt 1911 in a few years so I can't give an informed opinion on that.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:
As the title says, I’m looking at commander sized lightweight 1911’s.

Thanks
Not well, all the other brands are better for the money most of the time.
Ugh. I heard somewhere Colt isn’t the company it used to be. I was hoping I heard wrong. Guess I’ll look elsewhere.
Thanks
George MacDonald
Old 01-31-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun_compulsive View Post
Thanks. I’ll check Dan Wesson out...Vigil, ECP, TCP.
George MacDonald

Last edited by TheRaven; 01-31-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM

Any other suggestions to look at???
George MacDonald
Old 01-31-2019, 03:30 PM

I'd buy the Colt
Old 01-31-2019, 04:00 PM

Take a look at the Gunsite Colt Commander Lightweight. http://https://www.gunsitestore.com/...ght-commander/
Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM

Colt still makes a nice product. My main carry is a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander I bought in 2013.

S&W also makes a nice product in their E Series although I don't have one of those but do have its more expensive cousin from the Perf Center. It is just the E Series is cheaper and does not have the holes in the slide which some do not like. S&W 1911 variants do have an external extractor but the E Series has the wider Perf Center extractor which will pass the extraction/ejection test where you fire the pistol several times with no mag in it.

Ruger also makes a nice model called the CMD lightweight. I bought one in 2015 and it is nice. They also make them in all black in the Night Watchman model.

Ruger has a Titanium insert in the ramp area of the frame. Not sure that is really needed or if it is just Ruger reminding us that they know how to work with Titanium.

I don't have a DW light weight. I do have an all steel DW Commander size pistol in 10mm. It is an older Classic model. I picked it up barely used with the box etc at a good price. Something to keep in mind with DW and other non Colts is that one can often find barely used ones for quite a bit less than a brand new one.

And when I hear Commander I do think regular length grip and 4.25 inch barrel/slide and not a 4 inch barrel/slide.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM

I have an all steel 1991 Series Blued Commander in .45 ACP
33 oz. empty
and a Colt LightWeight Commander Blued in 9x19 Parabellum.
29 oz empty

Both have been reliable and accurate, no issues, Nice polished
vertical flats on the slides and matte blued for the rest of the guns
a few sharp edges here and there Both have the Polymer Flat MSH
w/vertical serrations

The LW Cmdr, has: ( avail in .45 ACP or 9x19 )
* Novak 3-Dot dovetailed sights
* Beavertail Grip Safety
* Enhanced LH Thumb Safety
* Dual Recoil Springs (Colt claims Good for 15K Rds )
* 3-Hole Long Trigger
* G10 Black Cherry checkered w/Colt Logo Grips
(I replaced w/Ahrends Tactical pattern in Tulipwood )
* Front of Grip frame has vertical serrations non-abrasive like checkered

FYI/FWIW: My EDC is A Springfield Armory RO Compact .45 ACP
better trigger than the Colt 80 Series FPS Trigger. IMO

R-
Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 PM

It all comes down to personal preference. I have the Wiley Clapp Colt and it is fantastic. Some people don’t like the brass bead front sight but , personally, I like it and I have aging eyes. In the past week I’ve looked at the Dan Wesson TCP and ECP and they too are really nice. So nice I can’t decide which one to buy but I will get one in the next week. I put them side by side and the TCP is a tad longer in the grip because it has a magwell. The ECP with its aluminum frame and 4.0 barrel is about as compact as a lightweight Commander can get. But the TCP has a unique tapered grip and a rail, all of which makes for really good balance and feel in the hand. I like the feel of the TCP but the carry package of the ECP. Both have the brass bead front sight. Decisions decisions.
You might also look at the Dan Wesson Guardian. It’s A lightweighrCommander. I have one in 9mm but it’s also available in 45ACP and 38 Super. Another terrific pistol.
My advice is check them all out and see what you like best. Just know you are in the $1250-$1500 price range.
Bill Wilson Carry .45, Wilson EDCx9, Ed Brown Cobra, Nighthawk T3 & T4, Springfield TRP, Springfield LW Champion Operator, all Kimber Aegis II's, all Kimber Raptors, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson Guardian, Dan Wesson CCO, Colt Commander 70 series, Sig C3.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM

I have multiple Commanders and everyone of the rock!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 PM

Dan Wesson Guardian seen new non blem for $1179 o.nGunnroker also a guy selling a LNIB for $1000 on 1911 fanatics for those prices cant buy a better LW cammander . Comes in 9mm .45 and 38 super
Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 PM

For whatever reasons, the interest in Colt seems to remain
high.

For instance, at 12:45 a.m. Friday, this forum had 126 viewers
in the Colt section with the next highest being 71 viewers for
Springfield Armory.

Certainly many are there just to carp but I suspect plenty of
viewers are also satisfied Colt users.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:14 AM

My personal choice.....

If you have the bucks, my choice would be a high capacity STI 2011 DVC-C:

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/dvc-c/

It is available in either .45acp or 9mm. It is designed with the concealed carry holder in mind, and the polymer grip is even lighter than an aluminum Colt Commander grip.

The DVC-C is slightly more compact than a 4.25" Commander slide, and uses a 3.9" barrel which I believe is a W/N ramped barrel. STI 2011 guns usually have a steel receiver with a polymer grip. Any aluminum framed gun should use either a ramped barrel or have a steel insert put into the feed ramp area to prevent the steel followers on empty magazines dinging the feed ramp and causing feeding issues......

I believe in the quality and durability of STI 2011 guns. I have an STI 2011 .38 super I have used in USPSA competitive shooting for well over 30+ years and still use it!!! I have shot as much as 20,000 rounds per year for quite a few years, and have replaced two barrels..... the basic steel receiver has held up and is still in very good shape.....my latest barrel is very accurate, and is still used in USPSA and Action Steel competition....
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 AM

I currently own a dozen Colts. The most recent a Custom Competition Limited from the custom shop. It's a great gun and worth what I paid for it. The one before that was a 9mm Gold Cup. Its accurate, well built and runs on every 9mm ammo brand known to man.

FWIW....the other 10 all run the same as well.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 AM

I have a Colt Lightweight XSE Commander in .38 Super. I bought it in January of 2015. It has a stainless slide and a Cerakoted receiver. When I took delivery it happened to be at a FFL with an indoor range, so I came prepared to do some shooting. I took the Commander out of the box, loaded it with my usual hand loads and proceeded to test fire it. Before getting through the first mag the gun began to FTFeed. I messed with it some and it refused to run more than a couple rounds. I finally removed the slide and found that the factory applied lube on the slide rails had softened and was coming off all the metal to metal surfaces, where the lube was present, on the gun. It was balling up causing the slide to bind. I began scraping the stuff off the slide rails with my thumb nail which allowed the gun to begin to function properly. Once I got home, and got all the crap cleaned off the metal to metal surfaces the pistol ran just fine from there on.
I've ended up replacing any and all MIM parts, along with fitting a fire control kit from Cylinder and slide in the gun. I also had the front strap checkered, and got rid of the cheap Colt grip safety. I've shot several thousand rounds through it now with no issues.
I also have a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO that has been nothing but perfect. I've replaced the short thumb safety, the cheap Colt grip safety, and installed a short aluminum trigger in the CCO. The trigger on this pistol was the best I've ever received in a factory Colt 1911. It has zero creep and is light enough, I didn't have to mess with it at all. It's a very accurate handgun with its national match barrel. The front strap came checkered and I feel it was a great value for the extras it came with.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 AM

I have the same commander as a couple others here . A 04840WC model . I got it new for $1050 as a replacement for a Kimber stainless 9mm my wife claimed as hers . This colt simple has all the features I wanted on a 1911 for carry . We both did make one change to both our 1911's . The trigger . My wife and I wanted a short reach triggers and wanted to remove the wiggle found in most production 1911 triggers so I ordered a ed brown over sized trigger to fit my self . Did some minor polishing and sear tuning for 3.5lb trigger pull .
Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM

My favorite LW Unloader the Dan Wesson Guardian in 38Super. Soon to be a 38Super/9mm when I decide & acquire a tube in 9mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Guardian1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Ugh. I heard somewhere Colt isn’t the company it used to be. I was hoping I heard wrong. Guess I’ll look elsewhere.
Thanks
I wouldn't base my choice on one negative opinion. Like others here I have bought a number of new Colts over the last few years, including several Commanders, and they have all been very nice guns, well fit and finished, accurate, and reliable. I used two of the Commanders, a LW Wiley Clapp and a regular steel version, as base guns for custom builds that came out great. If I were you I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Colts, get your hands on a couple and try them for yourself.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 02-02-2019, 09:03 AM

The Wiley Clapp stainless Commander I have is a great gun IMO. The only lightweight Commander I have is a Commander Elite which is a special edition from 2014. Grey ceracoated frame Ion Bond black stainless slide. Tight slide to frame fit & no rear overhang. The high upper cut of the Colt frame make it comfortable for my 64 year old hands to shoot 45 in a lightweight. The bobtail framed alloy guns aren’t for everyone. I suggest you handle if not shoot one before you buy.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:15 AM

I have a Colt Wiley Clapp In .45 and a Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander in 9MM. Both are great guns so far. The DW is tighter than the Colt and has a little better trigger. I'd buy both again.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 AM

OK, I had a Colt Wiley Clapp and sold it after 3 months. It gave me problems and was not fun to shoot. My Dan Wesson is NOT a lightweight but a Classic Bobtail Commander and a joy to shoot and hits all the high marks. A true lightweight is the S&W Commander. I had one for a while and it was accurate, reliable, shot any ammo I put in it, easy to carry, and looked good. The external extractor did not bother me as my Sig 1911 has one and is a great 1911. However it's lightweight made the recoil uncomfortable. Now shooting my reloads at the range it was not too bad but full power, what you would carry was not a lot of fun.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM

I just bought a full-size SA LW Operator, and can't get over HOW light it is. The Champion (Commander-sized) is 3 oz. lighter than that. I'd definitely take a look at it.