Does anyone use a full size 1911 for EDC? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:58 PM

Does anyone use a full size 1911 for EDC?

If you do, where do you carry it and what brand of holster do you use?
Old 04-08-2018, 03:03 PM

I do, in a Sparks SS2
Old 04-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjimmyK View Post
If you do, where do you carry it and what brand of holster do you use?

SA MC Operator in a Tier1 Concealed AGIS AIWB holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2018, 03:32 PM

SA MC Operator in a Tier1 Concealed AGIS AIWB holster:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 03:37 PM

Milt Sparks VM2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by GreenGoblin227; 04-08-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 PM

I use a shoulder holster when carrying a full size 1911 .
Andrews custom Leather http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q939p3i97o&t=284s

IWB Milt Sparks like everyone else but for a 4.25 1911

I've been thinking about switching to cross draw lately .
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM

I use a Galco royal guard when carrying a full size 1911.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post
I do, in a Sparks SS2

Ditto

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Galco Miami Classic
Old 04-08-2018, 10:10 PM

OWB holster from High Threat Concealment pistol on strong side and magazines on weak side.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:31 PM

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe IWB that I’ve used to carry a full size. I have too much belly so a lot of stuff doesn’t fit me too well. With the full size the tip of the slide did rub against my thigh at times so went with a 4” 1911 and no problems. You may just have to try different holsters before you find something that fits your body. I also have two different shoulder rigs, but with short arms and a big gut it makes it hard to grab gun with just one hand. Now I carry a 2” in pocket and will go to 1911 when able. Just in case. You do what you gotta do to make things work.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:30 AM

Full size Springfield carried AIWB in an Alpha concealment holster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM

For summer carry a Richie "Fatboy" IWB and in winter an Andrews "Monarch". I have also been known to use an Alessi " DOJ" or High Noon " Need for Speed".

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 AM

I carry a fullsize 45 on my right hip OWB Galco holster. I have a shirt that covers it. I don't consider it "concealed" because it isn't hard to notice for anyone who can pick up on the signs. I think of it as "obscurement carry" .
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow bullet guy View Post
I carry a fullsize 45 on my right hip OWB Galco holster. I have a shirt that covers it. I don't consider it "concealed" because it isn't hard to notice for anyone who can pick up on the signs. I think of it as "obscurement carry" .
Solid point... "concealed" is often a relative concept, particularly with full size service pistols.

I use either a VMII IWB or an OWB from Black Hills- I don't recall the model name. All else being equal, there's a night and day difference between the two methods... what I'm wearing and where I'm going influance carry method- as well as which gun I carry.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-09-2018, 10:31 AM

I carry a full size most of the time, though I do swap to a 3.5in. Officers here and there but I'll say at least for me and my build there isn't much difference in concealment or comfort. So I can't give a good reason why I carry the officers other than I like the gun

As far as rigs it varies, something of my own but depends on the situation and type of clothing I'm wearing. Day to day no worry of concealment and normal sized pants I'm usually in an OWB setup with a tucked in long sleeve shirt and jeans(shop wear), basically open carry in the woods and sometimes town. I can cover that with a jacket or untuck the shirt and make that work concealment wise. If I want more concealment my normal is an IWB setup strong side hip which works fairly well and conceals well while still being comfortable in the car etc. I'll sometimes run this also with a tucked in shirt and jeans in the shop if my pants are a touch looser than normal at the waist it's sort of a wash between these two for me, depends more on pants I'm wearing as well as whether I want more concealment. For maximum concealment then typically I'll run appendix in my rigs again IWB, which lets me carry a full size 1911 with pretty much no printing. And it works well when I'm chasing the kids at church and such when I need to bend more than I typically would. With a normal strong side IWB I'd print in that situation normally or bend in a manner I won't. But with the AIWB I can do that without printing which is handy. I don't however like this option if I'm driving more than say 20-30 miles, or sitting at my bench in the shop. It's doable, but I much prefer at or behind the hip if I'm sitting for very long.

But at the end of the day the holster makes a massive difference on being able to do that, along with your size and build. Years ago I didn't think it was possible, but I didn't have the experience with good holsters at the time either and just didn't have that information.

Take care!

Luke
Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 AM

When I do, my 5 inch Kimber Pre Series One is usually carried in either a Custom Carry Concepts Kydex Shaggy AIWB or an old school G Wm Davis "Summer Special" AIWB or IWB.

For me at 6' 2'', 205 ish, 34 waist, having a quality belt to support the weight is key. I am keen on 5 stich Wilderness and Liger belts.

YMMV

david
vcdgrips.com
Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Wilson Classics in a Milt Sparks VM2 (pictured), SS2, Criterion or Axiom. Forget the Sig TTT-it never gets used.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0543.JPG  
Old 04-09-2018, 01:04 PM

My EDC is a full size as well. Generally in a Milt Sparks Criterion or SS2. Depending on how I'm dressed the holsters are positioned between 2:30 and 4:00.

For long drives I sometimes use an Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Yes....two of them. Colt Govt. 1911 in 9mm, DW Pointman in .38 Super....both in Kirkpatrick holsters, and Big Foot belts.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Wilson 5" ULC in a Warbird custom with an Exodus mag holder on a DM Bullard belt.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSolt View Post
SA MC Operator in a Tier1 Concealed AGIS AIWB holster:

Very nice. Is that one of their earlier holsters or did you change out the clips and leather?

I also, use an AGIS from Tier 1 for my G17 and love that holster. I had been using the Sidecar from T.Rex Arms and it's a great holster as well but once I got the AGIS I've never put the Sidecar on again.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Baer TRS or Colt Clapp Government in a Sparks 55BN at 3:00, sometimes in a VMII at 3:15

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association

Last edited by EL Perdido; 04-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Very nice. Is that one of their earlier holsters or did you change out the clips and leather?

I also, use an AGIS from Tier 1 for my G17 and love that holster. I had been using the Sidecar from T.Rex Arms and it's a great holster as well but once I got the AGIS I've never put the Sidecar on again.

Thanks. I too switched from a T-Rex Arms Sidecar because of better conceal ability.

This was delivered to me a few weeks ago but I modify all my AGIS holsters (I have 4 of them for my Glocks) with the much more durable UltiClip XL due to seeing attempts to disarm snap the flimsy clips.

I also replaced the leather connector with web belt material because itís more durable when in contact with sweat in the humid south, more bendable around the belly, and spaced far apart enough to allow a Tac Light.

Last edited by RodSolt; 04-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 PM

^^^Very nice. Thanks for the information on the clips and web belt.
Closed Thread