1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Cross Country move with a Gun Safe

Hello,

I have a 25 gun Liberty safe which weighs about 730lbs and the size is 60.6" x 30" x 28.5".

I may be moving across country using one of the big moving companies which my new employer has agreements with. The companies include Mayflower Transit, United Van Line, and Allied Van Lines. I am wondering if anyone has done a cross country move with a safe using any of the big moving companies? I know they will charge extra for safe which is expected but I am looking for experiences any of my fellow gun owners have had moving a safe across the country. The safe will be empty and my guns will be travelling with me when I drive to my new location. If anyone has used any of the three companies I mentioned and has any input on their service I would appreciate it as well.

I am not looking to sell the safe locally and buy a new one at my new location since I picked up the safe at an estate sale for a great price.

Thanks!

Last edited by mbaza3; 04-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 PM

You did not mention from and to where. It is possible that transporting firearms, particularly handguns, may be more problematic than the safe. There are some ultra enlightened states that believe merely possessing a hand gun within their borders should reward the perpetrator a year or more in the slammer.
I'm working to get my cash and my life to end simultaneously. If I die after lunch on Tuesday, my plan will have worked perfectly.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM

Indiana to Arizona.

I took a look at http://www.handgunlaw.us/ specifically the RV/Car Carry section and I should be OK with everything locked up and unloaded going through Missouri, Oklahoma,New Mexico, and finally into Arizona. I would not be moving if it was to California, New York or any other unfriendly gun state.

Last edited by mbaza3; 04-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM

DO NOT LET the moving co touch anything you value. In a safe doesn't matter. The whole thing will just disappear. I know from experience. insurance will cover it, but I had things the insurance couldn't replace. This goes for jewelry, guns, papers, etc... Lots of thieves in that business. Good ones also, but too many to risk it. Move that stuff yourself.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 PM

I suspect you need to contact the moving company.

In general, they will move the safe. They will not move your guns -- you'll have to transport them yourself.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 PM

I am renting a truck and towing my car separately from using the moving company so I can have my valuables with me.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM

If ' n it was me, I'd move my guns and safe myself.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresOsos View Post
If ' n it was me, I'd move my guns and safe myself.
Me too.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM

I thought about that but I would have to pay someone to load the safe into my moving truck here and then also off the truck into my my new place. I was also thinking if the moving truck I am driving dies then what happens to the safe if they end up bringing out a new truck.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM

I do not know if the Liberty line of safes have additional relockers aside from the standard lock case relocker, but if they do you will want to secure the relocker for transport so that any rough handling that might occur doesn't fire them and lock you out of your safe.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM

I will remove the relocker to be safe. It takes about 10 minutes and will prevent a nightmare on the other end. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaza3 View Post
I am renting a truck and towing my car separately from using the moving company so I can have my valuables with me.
That's how I did it last time I moved -- only I rented a trailer.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 PM

I may tow an enclosed trailer if I do not bring too much stuff with me. It will cost less and be more comfortable driving 1800 miles in my car rather than driving a big truck.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I may tow an enclosed trailer if I do not bring too much stuff with me. It will cost less and be more comfortable driving 1800 miles in my car rather than driving a big truck.
That's why I did it that way. I only moved about 1,100 miles, though, from Virginia to Arkansas.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM

And by the way, welcome to Arizona, it's a good place!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Moving is a chore no matter how it is done. When I moved I found a trailer on Craig's list. Had too make more than one trip but tried to make lemonade out of lemons. I was newly retired and had no time schedule. Emptied the safe, wrapped it in shipping blankets and strapped some moving dollies onto the side, laid it down and rolled it onto the trailer. Strapped it down and away we go. Sold the trailer at the other end. Good luck on your move.
SAME REASON.......” Mark Twain
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

I moved from California to Iowa almost 8 years ago. We used Mayflower.

They charged us by the cubic feet of space we used - we used the entire FIFTY-THREE feet of the trailer. LOL

Anyhow, there was no extra charge for the gun safe. They did a great job for us and didn't break even one little thing!! We were very happy with the move.

It was going to take us a couple of week to get the vehicles packed and drive to Iowa so the driver and his team just stopped at their home and waited for us to let them know when to delivered the stuff to us.

Could not have asked for a better move - and as a career military man I have made a few!!

Good luck

ps, I moved by own firearms!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Up View Post
You did not mention from and to where. It is possible that transporting firearms, particularly handguns, may be more problematic than the safe. There are some ultra enlightened states that believe merely possessing a hand gun within their borders should reward the perpetrator a year or more in the slammer.
Wrong. You can move anywhere within the US with your firearms as long as they are packed up and locked and cannot be reached by the driver! I have moved across this old country a dozen times. There is also a FEDERAL law (don't know it off the top of my head) that says what I did above. I always take them into the motel at night and back out to the car in the morning.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM

North American Van Lines did a fine job moving my empty safe. If you have a good paint job on your safe, put some blue masking tape along the bottom edge. This will eliminate any scratching from handling machinery or dollies. See if you can get a small bottle of touch up paint from Liberty. You may need the serial number for the paint code.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Mayflower moved our things 1500 miles. Would not use them again as they damaged my gun safe along with a bedroom set. After a long fight they replaced the safe and repaired the bedroom set. Also put a big dent in our new washer.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 AM

I've done this with A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. without issue, but they're not one of the options partnered with your company so I suppose that's not an option. It did cost extra when I did it, but it wasn't outrageous. I doubt there'd be any issue if you're hauling the guns anyway, just give them a heads up that you need a safe moved too. Maybe contact all of them and see which is cheapest?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsqueeze View Post
I've done this with A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. without issue, but they're not one of the options partnered with your company so I suppose that's not an option. It did cost extra when I did it, but it wasn't outrageous. I doubt there'd be any issue if you're hauling the guns anyway, just give them a heads up that you need a safe moved too. Maybe contact all of them and see which is cheapest?
This move happened 6 years ago 🤓 I’m guessing he must have gotten it figured out.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
This move happened 6 years ago 🤓 I’m guessing he must have gotten it figured out.
Or maybe he is still waiting for the safe to show up
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM

I ended up having the moving company take care of the empty safe.

We had a bunch of things like plants, etc. the moving company would not take so I ended up renting a small Ryder truck and towed my vehicle. I had all my guns, ammo, and accessories with me the whole drive from Indiana to Arizona.

Everything made it safely

Last edited by mbaza3; 02-25-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I ended up having the moving company take care of the empty safe.

We had a bunch of things like plants, etc. the moving company would not take so I ended up renting a small Ryder truck and towed my vehicle. I had all my guns, ammo, and accessories with me the whole drive from Indiana to Arizona.

Everything made it safely
Welcome to AZ! I’m here for the winter, just northwest of Surprise.