1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:46 AM

Cell phones and looting

If the Government can track our every location for national security it would seem now is the time to be tracking individuals locations that could be willing participants in the looting right?

All this technology should be used for the good
Old 06-01-2020, 10:51 AM

The pros like Antifa are using and discarding burners.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAW View Post
If the Government can track our every location for national security it would seem now is the time to be tracking individuals locations that could be willing participants in the looting right?

If you acquiesce to the authorities doing that... where will it end? Will you protest when they track you going to and from a gun range or a gun shop as they monitor all gun owning Americans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I'm not interested in allowing the govt to track me or anyone else. Do YOU wanna be tracked??

That's what China does to it's "citizens".

You wanna track a person suspected of criminal behavior?? Get a warrant from the court giving you permission to do so.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Nope, not a good idea to let the government track you.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the OP was advocating tracking by phone. I thought that was a done deal. Am I wrong? My understanding is that every cell phone has a built in GPS type tracking device that cannot be turned off.

I thought the OP was asking....if the authorities can track "us" (law abiding citizens) why don't they use the same technique to identify the rioters/looters?

NRA Life Member
Old 06-01-2020, 01:42 PM

I was under the impression that our movements were already being tracked via smartphone...
If ANTIFA uses burners that's fine. They aren't the only ones destroying our communities.
You would think the patriot act would allow this information to be used to convict the pack mentally idiots ruining small businesses around the country.
I know GPS isn't that accurate. Look up "what three words" Here's a link....

https://what3words.com/clip.apples.leap

In theory this could be used to put any number of individuals in a building at any given time to prove their location coincided with a crime.

Again, I'm not saying sign up to be tracked. No need to, we already signed up on that one almost 20 years ago.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Thank you RetiredRod. Precisely
Old 06-01-2020, 01:45 PM

correction, "pack mentality"
No way of editing via the smart phone app
Old 06-01-2020, 01:45 PM

The Counts consider this two totally different matters.

Tracking cell phones for criminal investigations require a court order and written application or a warrant with a warrant affidavit, depending on your exact jurisdiction.

On the other hand tracking for disease prevention is just that, a public health issue and generally requires much less justification.

Got to get back to the line....
Old 06-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I don't think the OP was advocating tracking by phone. I thought that was a done deal. Am I wrong? My understanding is that every cell phone has a built in GPS type tracking device that cannot be turned off.

I thought the OP was asking....if the authorities can track "us" (law abiding citizens) why don't they use the same technique to identify the rioters/looters?
I think its a private entity that has access to tracking. GPS can be turned off. There are settings in Android for location in which you give permission to track to each app. I don't know about iPhone (Apple). What Google does with the help of their Android operating system with agreement with the carriers is track anonymously the pinging of cell phones as they move from cell tower to cell tower. That is how they create the "Traffic" data on google maps. Ever use Google maps to see if there is heavy traffic in a route ahead of your path? I do. They use the mass number of cell phones anonymously moving along a street path to determine how fast the cell phones are moving, hence then cars. Slow moving means traffic tie up.

That information is collected 'en masse' anonymously since in order for cell phone tower management to work efficiently, your phone periodically pings the tower when on standby so when a call is coming in, the telecommunications cell network knows exactly where to find you based on the last tower pinged.

Now, can google track a mass of people on foot? Sure they can! Are they sharing that data with the authorities I hope not. I think the latest court case requirement has been that google and Apple want a "warrant" from any government agency to retrieve that data when it is identifiable with an individual. These private agencies are doing that more or less to enhance their services and to bombard us with advertisements.

I signed up for "Gas Buddy" which is a really good little ap. It gives you the availability and price of gas at various gas stations near you. Great ap when the Hurricane season is here. It is what I used during the last storm warning to find stations that had gas available. But... LOL, they also spy on me and I wasn't aware of it. I drove into a gas station, filled up my car. I then got an alert on my phone asking what price I paid for the gas. It said it detected me going to a gas station and wanted me to update the price of the gas I bought and to rate the station. Apparently when I downloaded I agree to participate as a member to rate and update their database on gas stations.

Edit:This from Feb 2020 from Google:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/21/2...ess-android-11
Quote:
Google is placing new restrictions on which Android apps can track your location in the background, with a new review process that will check whether an app definitely needs access to the data. The changes were announced in a blog post to Android developers earlier this week. Google says that from August 3rd all new Google Play apps that ask for background access will need to pass review, expanding to all existing apps on November 3rd.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 06-01-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:10 PM

If you don't want to be tracked just install and use a location spoofing app. I have one called fake gps on my android phone. I tested it by signing into my google account and using their locate my phone feature and it showed the fake location I selected. Whenever I travel to other cities on business I set my location as the middle of the intersection of two runways at the local airport in that city. Let them figure that one out.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
If you don't want to be tracked just install and use a location spoofing app. I have one called fake gps on my android phone. I tested it by signing into my google account and using their locate my phone feature and it showed the fake location I selected. Whenever I travel to other cities on business I set my location as the middle of the intersection of two runways at the local airport in that city. Let them figure that one out.
That sounds cool. I like your style.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Software from the spies to unspy: good call ;-)

If they want you, and you have a phone with GPS, let alone a dataplan, they have you.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
Thats classic.
Years ago I was in process to purchase a rifle here in California. My ID had a PO box and I was told to go to the DMV to get the "change of address card" due to the fact California does not accept a valid CCW as identification.
So I went to the DMV, I paid the $2.00 fee and hand wrote my new physical address on the card. I passed it to the DMV rep and he stamped it. Done. Proof of residency. CCW isn't accepted but this piece of paper that required ZERO proof is what they accept.
Back to Tims point of placing your location dead center of the runway, I considered using the address of the local PD or FBI field office just to make things interesting for the DOJ and whomever else came knocking.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:13 PM

You would think, with the myriad of cameras EVERYWHERE, the situation being a riot which would justify cell tracking (looters are stupid and dont have burners) it would be a no brainer to figure out who threw the first brick, what car Johnny got in with the hot TV etc...You cant tell me no one can be identified because they were wearing a mask. BS, you catch a few, they'll roll over and rat!
I get California where you cant defend yourself, but it seems that some of these business owners would have blasted a few "protesters" right back out the broken window they crawled through!! Perhaps the law should read "During a riot situation, destruction of private property will result in death".
Old 06-01-2020, 07:08 PM

Last night in Aurora, IL my 8 round mag with FMJ/brass case ammo killed off billions of viruses as did our brass door knobs and copper plumbing.
Getting back to the observation cameras, here is an email I sent to a retired Law Enforcement Captan friend:
With all of the Law Enforcement who will look to you for some wisdom, let me pass on one of my my observations. On early Sunday evening around 6 PM in Aurora, one of the white protestors with his Female counterpart were walking North on IL-25 (Broadway Ave) away from the protest area. Both the protestors were wearing masks and were decorated with tattoos. Body art is unique just like fingerprints. I hope you collect a consulting fee to point this out to ISP or some other Law Enforcement.**Cheers and stay safe.

Please pass this information onto any intelligent Law Enforcement Friends. ANTIFA might cover their mouth and nose with a mask but their Body Art will convict them if used right.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Well the phone companies sure do keep track of everyone in their system. The police and FBI regularly get a court order for a suspects phone records when they are investigating a crime. Lately they started getting court orders to have Apple, Google and others turn over voice data recordings made using the voice command apps too. Siri, Alexa, Assistant, Cortana, etc all listen for your voice quite intently and record some minutes or more of your conversations, You can test it by talking about something like a New red sports car, and you will start getting targeted ads for it later.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto
Get a warrant from the court giving you permission to do so.
Tell me about how well that works in the middle of a riot.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:14 AM

It doesn’t have to be “during” the riot. If these asshats know that the pieces can be put together even months after the incident and they can be locked up and potentially have THEIR lives ruined, it may be enough of a deterrent. Vandalism, arson, looting and being a general threat to society in a situation like this should carry stiff penalties. Protest if you want, toss a brick and you go to jail. There have to be examples made RIGHT NOW. Televised, so these jerks stay at home! Show some of the Antifa trash strung up too.....punks...
Old 06-03-2020, 10:03 AM

All the government has to do is check social media, because you KNOW the idiot looters and rioters are posting this sh*t on social media! They're actually proud of it!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 06-03-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
Tell me about how well that works in the middle of a riot.
So.....you're okay with the govt tracking your every movement without:

A. Your knowledge or permission. Or:

B. A Court order.

You're okay with that....is that what you're saying??
Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

No relation to the sub-forum subject of Covid-19 discussions.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Closed Thread