1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Ol' Squinty Eyes turns 90

Clint Eastwood turned 90 today. Whether you like him or not, you can't question the influence he's had on the Hollywood genre of tough action heroes for the past 60 years. And more than a few of us bought a Smith Model 29, Colt Walker or a Schofield revolver, or lusted after a Grand Torino after watching one of his films. Today I took a friend out shooting, and while I was at it decided to fire 18 rounds out of my Model 29 at ten yards just for the occasion.

BTW the friend was the same petite lady I introduced to guns a few months ago. Already she's showing remarkable improvement, despite still being constrained to only shooting .22 pistols. Last range trip she was mostly just keeping them on the paper. Now she's keeping them all inside the scoring rings.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:00 PM

The Model 29 is just a gorgeous gun to say the least.

Very, very nice gun Dana.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 PM

Happy Birthday Blondie....... (Of course In my best Italian tainted phony Mexican Accent).

Last edited by Steam Boat; 05-31-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 PM

Clint was always Top Drawer as an actor, and he ain't all that bad as a director/producer (whatever).

Only John Wayne, Charleton Heston, Yul Brynner, Kirk Douglas, Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin really come close over their acting careers.

Nuthin' but respect.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:12 AM

I've always like that hard glare he gave just before he shot or kicked the cowboy feces outta someone.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. EASTWOOD.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I lusted for this Grand Torino when I was a teenager.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Doesn't matter to me that almost all of Mr. Eastwood characters wielded firearms. He is pro gun control. I don't watch his movies. Never have. But any one reaching 90 deserves a happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR.EASTWOOD!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 09:53 AM

dsk---------- You fired 18 rounds? ------------------I know what you're thinking. Are you sure it wasn't just 17? In all this excitement I kinda forgot myself.

When I was a teen Clint used to be, technically, my boss at his tavern in Carmel Ca. But I only saw him one time before I split for a better paying job.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Phreddie30.06 ------------- You can be crafty & watch his movies without giving him one cent.

Your one-man boycott is not hurting HIM at all, and is screwing YOU out of some excellent entertainment.

Do you interview every single provider of food, clothing, shelter, & services on their 2A beliefs before spending your precious pennies? That's absurd.

How about this? Get Gran Torino & Dirty Harry & Unforgiven at the Amvets thrift store. Clint gets nothing from that & a good charity does.

Then, for every film you watch, you throw in an extra coupla bucks when you renew your NRA membership.

That will do MUCH more for the 2A than going to your grave without seeing some great, gun-intensive, iconic films.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Administrator

My own mother is anti-gun. That doesn't mean I don't visit her or take her out to lunch. Clint may not be as pro-gun as we might want him to be, but at least he's not as bad or as hypocritical as other celebrities like like Sly Stallone. Rocky is a gun enthusiast with a very large gun collection and allegedly his own private indoor gun range as well, yet he is a spokesperson for the Brady Campaign and a very vocal supporter of strict gun control for us common people. Apparently only important people like him should be allowed to exercise their Second Amendment rights.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Phreddie30.06 ------------- You can be crafty & watch his movies without giving him one cent.

Your one-man boycott is not hurting HIM at all, and is screwing YOU out of some excellent entertainment.

Do you interview every single provider of food, clothing, shelter, & services on their 2A beliefs before spending your precious pennies? That's absurd.

How about this? Get Gran Torino & Dirty Harry & Unforgiven at the Amvets thrift store. Clint gets nothing from that & a good charity does.

Then, for every film you watch, you throw in an extra coupla bucks when you renew your NRA membership.

That will do MUCH more for the 2A than going to your grave without seeing some great, gun-intensive, iconic films.
I wished him a Happy birthday! That should be enough. And ok I will start watching a few spaghetti westerns. Which one do I watch first.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddie30.06 View Post
I wished him a Happy birthday! That should be enough. And ok I will start watching a few spaghetti westerns. Which one do I watch first.

Start with Fistful of Dollars....
Old 06-01-2020, 03:05 PM

Yes, that's a good one! Then watch For A Few Dollars More.

The good, the bad & the ugly, too.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM

The nice thing about his movies is: leaving their damned politics out of it.

"Shall Not Be Infringed" should be branded on many, many, many people - starting with the appeasers and "rationalists". Slippery slope that.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Nice thread...PUNK...
Im probably gonna get in trouble for that.....
Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 PM

Happy Birthday Clint.

I never really liked the Spaghetti Westerns. Clint did star in one of my favorite westers ever though. The Outlaw Josey Wales. "You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"
Old 06-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Don't forget Every Which Way But Loose

Oh wait, DO forget it! --------------- He's had some stinkers. But overall, I'd say the majority are pretty good. And some are downright excellent.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Believe it or not I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from beginning to end for the first time today. I've often had it on while doing other things but this was the first time I actually sat through and watched the whole thing (it's pretty long). Very good movie, even with its many flaws (hint: don't watch if you're a stickler for firearms authenticity).
Old 06-01-2020, 08:11 PM

By the way, that “gran Torino” above is from Starsky & Hutch nothing to do with Clint-at all, still really cool as my as my sisters fiancé at that time had one, great car!

inspite of his hypocritical politics I still think the guy is great, my brother met him while he was in the navy way back in the 60’s in California and really treated him right, he didn’t have to and that was when all the anti-Vietnam protests were the thing and calling our service people names, a dark time in our history today at the least, Clint was very respectful, gracious and seemed to appreciate my brothers service, been on my “hero” list ever since.

Last edited by passx; 06-01-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Administrator

I have had to come to terms with the fact that not everyone, even pro-gun people are always 100% on our side. My own father liked guns and owned several, but he was yet another person who was against ordinary citizens owning rifles like the AR-15. That despite the fact that he owned an M1 Garand. What we have to do is be willing to engage these kinds of people in conversation and get them to realize that an AR-15 is just another firearm, and that the overwhelming majority of owners are just regular people, not crazy wingnuts or neo-Nazi types. Unfortunately too many of us prefer to just shut those people down or scream in their face about our rights, and how we'll give up our guns when they're pried from our dead hands. That kind of talk makes us feel better but doesn't help much when trying to get other gun owners to understand the reality of gun control.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:48 PM

DSK, you are absolutely right ! My daughter-in-law is a liberal lefty and believes that if you take away guns no one will ever get killed, they live not to far from Sandyhook, which scared the “h” outta her. But considers it ok that her father has one because he’s a former state trooper. I consider myself a strict constitutionalist where my rights are all encompassing so long as they stop at another’s toes, I’ve had several discussions with her and she’s starting to listen.

I’ve explained that and the founding fathers intents and to my d-in-laws credit she went back and read a lot of the founding fathers comments and intended intentions of the constitution.

Is she a convert? no ! But she realizes why the 2a exists and she’s been very appreciative that I’ve taken my son & g-son shooting whenever we get together, and taught my grandson proper handling & safety, along with helping my son buy his 1st gun when all this silliness started.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I have had to come to terms with the fact that not everyone, even pro-gun people are always 100% on our side. My own father liked guns and owned several, but he was yet another person who was against ordinary citizens owning rifles like the AR-15. That despite the fact that he owned an M1 Garand. What we have to do is be willing to engage these kinds of people in conversation and get them to realize that an AR-15 is just another firearm, and that the overwhelming majority of owners are just regular people, not crazy wingnuts or neo-Nazi types. Unfortunately too many of us prefer to just shut those people down or scream in their face about our rights, and how we'll give up our guns when they're pried from our dead hands. That kind of talk makes us feel better but doesn't help much when trying to get other gun owners to understand the reality of gun control.
For someone, especially another gun owner, to say we don’t need a gun like the AR15... tells me they don’t really understand what the 2nd Amendment is all about. Of course, even Ronald Reagan said citizens don’t need weapons like AK47s. Go figure.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ1015 View Post
Happy Birthday Clint.

I never really liked the Spaghetti Westerns. Clint did star in one of my favorite westers ever though. The Outlaw Josey Wales. "You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

I liked "A buzzards gotta eat same as a worm".
Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
By the way, that “gran Torino” above is from Starsky & Hutch nothing to do with Clint-at all, still really cool as my as my sisters fiancé at that time had one, great car!
Totally aware. And I'm saying I lusted after THAT Gran T. Oh and Colt Python in a shoulder holster.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 PM

The only time I saw Clint he was sitting at the bar of his pub, The Hog's Breath, while I carried bus-tubs around.

But his son Kyle was friends with my buddies. So he was often around at parties & such. Seemed okay to me.

It was kind of weird living in the Monterey / Carmel area because there were a lot of famous people around. Often I didn't know who they were at the time.

I loaded groceries into a "nice lady's" car and found out later that she was Doris Day. I served John Travolta a focaccia burger ------- he was mellow & funny.

And at The Highlands Inn I said hi to our security guy as he spoke with a couple guests. Later on I found out they were Sean Penn (what a jerk) and Madonna.

I also served Mario Andretti at a massive table of Italians when the Historical Races were going on at Laguna Seca.

I didn't know it was him until he paid!