1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 AM

Reloading 45 ACP with a Lee Single Stage Press

Hello, All

I have just finished a video on reloading the 45 ACP from case tumbling the brass though all the steps of using the different dies to finished shell then shooting.

I made this as a follow up to one of my other videos loading 200 grain LSW and 230 grain LRN.

The video is maybe too long as it is just over an hour long, I think I may went into too much detail thus breaking the golden rule of KISS "Keep it Simple Stupid". So I thought I would turn to my fellow readers here on this forum for some much needed feedback.

Take a look and let me know what you all think. Should I leave it as is or delete it and post a shorter more concise version.

I was trying to be thorough, but I may of went over board a bit.

Thanks

Here is the video

https://youtu.be/nrV2sKmuG6A

Last edited by ToddRvs; 05-31-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM

Don't punish yourself. Buy a Dillon.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post

Don't punish yourself. Buy a Dillon.

Oh, come on... Dillon doesnít even make a single stage.

I started out with a Lee Hand Press, and loaded a couple thousand rounds on it. Not one problem. (Unsurprising; thereís the ram and the handle; not much to go wrong.)

When I showed my Father-in-law my new Dillon XL750 he was not happy, adamant that all I needed was a Rock Chucker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

The topic is opinions about the OP's video. Not the equipment he chooses to use. Please stick to the topic.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-31-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Zero View Post
...When I showed my Father-in-law my new Dillon XL750 he was not happy, adamant that all I needed was a Rock Chucker.
Oh, man - I smiled so hard.. I love that.. Family is fun - he's RIGHT, but also wrong.

I use a Lee classic Cast Iron turret - just disabled all the twisty-****. I do 20 or 50 shells per stage. Easy.

That said, the other day I was thinking - as I started some 9mm - "goddamnit, where in the hell would I put the Dillon I can't afford here?" First World Problems ;-)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 PM

I started reloading when about the only 'progressive' press was a Star.
The cost was outrageous.
I moved up to the inline RCBS and it was not exactly all that well done.

I use an RCBS 4x4 now.

Cases are still sized and deprimed on a single stage.
With a good rhythm going you can remove a sized-deprimed case, slip the next into the shell holder, cycle the press, repeat.
Run them through a vibratory cleaner.
I prime on a RCBS bench primer.
Same as a single stage, get a good rhythm going and it goes surprisingly fast.

Flare, Load powder, seat bullet, taper crimp on the 4x4.

It makes competition grade brass surprisingly fast.

Friend has an RCBS.
I do not like the sliding bar type powder station.
There is probably a way to use a Uniflow but I have not bothered to look into it.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 AM

I've used a Lee single stage press for years; don't see any reason to change. Reloading is a hobby and a relaxing part of my life, and I don't want or need some contraption that cranks out hundreds of rounds per hour with me basically just sitting there watching it and only intermittently interacting with it. As far as the video, if you learned something from it sounds like a win to me.

Sent from my PRC-25

Old 06-01-2020, 06:48 AM

Well, ya gotta give the OP kudos for stickiní with it!
I think most of us will agree that the SS is the way to learn, one station at a time. Like Bob, many continue the tradition because they have the time.
On the other hand, some guys around these parts are still trying to see if they can melt a barrel! They would have to quit their job to pull the handle that many times!
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 PM

Yes Kudos, especially for shooting sever different disciplines while loading that way.. I watched the whole thing in lieu of loading a thousand rounds of 40

Comments:
Tumbling media, you might want to check local industrial abrasive suppliers, I get 50lb bags of walnut and corncob for 15 bucks a bag.

Dented brass, some guns dent the brass on the ejection port and unless its really dented I've never seen the need to toss it or had an issue with it.

Drill speed, those numbers around your drill are torque settings, the speed is the slider on the top, two choices.

You kind of winged it on the seat/crimp die which many people have trouble with.

All in all nice introduction to reloading...
Old 06-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Well, ya gotta give the OP kudos for stickin’ with it!
I think most of us will agree that the SS is the way to learn, one station at a time. Like Bob, many continue the tradition because they have the time.
On the other hand, some guys around these parts are still trying to see if they can melt a barrel! They would have to quit their job to pull the handle that many times!
Another smug post. We get it. You love your Dillon press. But a Dillon press cannot do everything. Can you form brass with it? Like taking a 357sig to a 8mm Nambu? Of course not. Please stop using every post to pat yourself on the back. Moderator, please...

Last edited by 1Blue; 06-02-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 PM

I have reloaded many thousands of rounds of rifle and pistol on a lee single stage. Only reason I upgraded was because I met my 3rd wife and moved onto her family farm that I can shoot on.

Op when it comes to reloading videos there is no such thing as too much info.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
I've used a Lee single stage press for years; don't see any reason to change. Reloading is a hobby and a relaxing part of my life, and I don't want or need some contraption that cranks out hundreds of rounds per hour with me basically just sitting there watching it and only intermittently interacting with it. As far as the video, if you learned something from it sounds like a win to me.
I'm not into competition so a single stage will get it done for me. Quality time at the bench really is a big part my hobby. I still have plenty stacked for family trips to the range.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM

Never too many books or videos, or advice and opinions.

But, at some point you need to get the toes wet. A SS will do it, but I prefer the Lee cast-iron turret, just pulling the spinner-widget out: you can mount a full set of dies to a head and turn them as required for "batches", and store the whole set in the round container, (or one of those newfangled shelving-things).

So far, the only time I wished for a DIllion progressive was this week when I was prepping a couple hundred rounds to sight and test a new 9mm carbine - and it was only a musing due to the Dillon-lovers here ;-)

For everything else, (30-06, 45acp & 9mm pistol), the cast iron turret with 4-hole aluminum heads and lee's dies work Jus'Fine™.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarm View Post
Never too many books or videos, or advice and opinions.

But, at some point you need to get the toes wet. A SS will do it, but I prefer the Lee cast-iron turret, just pulling the spinner-widget out: you can mount a full set of dies to a head and turn them as required for "batches", and store the whole set in the round container, (or one of those newfangled shelving-things).

So far, the only time I wished for a DIllion progressive was this week when I was prepping a couple hundred rounds to sight and test a new 9mm carbine - and it was only a musing due to the Dillon-lovers here ;-)

For everything else, (30-06, 45acp & 9mm pistol), the cast iron turret with 4-hole aluminum heads and lee's dies work Jus'Fineô.
Yep!
Old 06-03-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue View Post
Another smug post. We get it. You love your Dillon press. But a Dillon press cannot do everything. Can you form brass with it? Like taking a 357sig to a 8mm Nambu? Of course not. Please stop using every post to pat yourself on the back. Moderator, please...
Not sure who pissed in your Wheaties this morning Sparky, but youíre making some pretty wild statements. Since we are in the ďReloadingĒ sub forum, it goes without saying that the vast majority of us that frequent this spot have moved on from a SS decades ago. The main reason is due to the volume we shoot. My comment was perfectly in line. No one said, forming brass, or promoted the Dillon. I happen to have a bit of each major brand....whatís your point?
Feel free to respond once you calm down and get the gravel out of your crankcase. Also, take a minute to look up levity, you can use Google. I have a tendency to inject as much of it as I feel necessary. Thatís fine if you donít like it, just keep it shut as Iíll not take your crap......
Old 06-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Not sure who pissed in your Wheaties this morning Sparky, but youíre making some pretty wild statements. Since we are in the ďReloadingĒ sub forum, it goes without saying that the vast majority of us that frequent this spot have moved on from a SS decades ago. The main reason is due to the volume we shoot. My comment was perfectly in line. No one said, forming brass, or promoted the Dillon. I happen to have a bit of each major brand....whatís your point?
Feel free to respond once you calm down and get the gravel out of your crankcase. Also, take a minute to look up levity, you can use Google. I have a tendency to inject as much of it as I feel necessary. Thatís fine if you donít like it, just keep it shut as Iíll not take your crap......
There is nothing wrong with using a single stage press. To some it is all they can afford. Are just getting started in reloading. Wish to have a platform that can reload pistol and rifle. Something that can be used to reform a brass case, into something that is unavailable, just another tool in their box, etc. I would hope that members here would be supportive, friendly, and informative. I'm not making wild statements. You are not funny. I'm was trying to get this forum back to being a welcoming, supportive place. But I have come to the conclusion after 14 years that isn't possible and requested to LW McVay (site administrator) that my profile/account be deleted. Too many unsufferable know it alls like you reside here. This is my last visit to the 1911 forum.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue View Post
I'm was trying to get this forum back to being a welcoming, supportive place. But I have come to the conclusion after 14 years that isn't possible and requested to LW McVay (site administrator) that my profile/account be deleted. Too many unsufferable know it alls like you reside here. This is my last visit to the 1911 forum.
No need to burden yourself with modding this place... the mods do well on their own. 90% of the time Nitro is a light hearted addition to the crew. We all have our moments where we take a joke a bit too far and we all have a bad day no and again. Why would you delete your account? We don't know who you are so is it a "statement" or something? I appreciate all the guys here, even the ones I disagree with.

Have a proverbial cold one and relax or as the great Sgt. Hulka put it:
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2020, 07:54 AM

I still donít get what I said wrong? Eluding to those shooters that blast over 10K a year and their not wanting to use a SS kinda makes sense.
The ďSmugĒ comment from 1Blue tripped my trigger and was, in my opinion, uncalled for. If I offended any SS only users, my apologies. I really donít see how I did that though.
Oh well....everyone is entitled to take their toys out of the sandbox and go home.
Have a great weekend everybody!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:53 AM

A single stage press works just fine. The difference between single stage and progressive is production rate. I believe you can load better ammo for precision shooting on a single stage press. I still use a single stage for all rifle(I don't shoot much rifle) and for test loads and .44 mag loads(don't shoot much .44 either). I don't as a rule clean primer pockets in pistol brass, hasn't been necessary so far.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Every county in the Gunshine State should have a 500-1000 yard range.
Or at least within 50 miles!!!
Markham was supposed to be 600.
Glad they added archery as my backyard range is only about 20.

Load my 458WinMag, 460S&W Mag and others that require a roll crimp on a Single Stage.

Good video.
Only books and patient gunshop folks back in the olden days.

Said I'd never load or shoot 44Mag but a Winchester 1894 found me and I use a hammer and a Lee Handloader now.
When the kids are in from the Rockies, where the 629/4" lives, they can buy some dies and I'll get the grandkids up to speed.
Then they can take the Lee Handpress and the 1894 home with them.
Good for chest muscles and Aikido/Judo.

Last edited by Imissedagain; 06-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I still don’t get what I said wrong? Eluding to those shooters that blast over 10K a year and their not wanting to use a SS kinda makes sense.
The “Smug” comment from 1Blue tripped my trigger and was, in my opinion, uncalled for. If I offended any SS only users, my apologies. I really don’t see how I did that though.
Oh well....everyone is entitled to take their toys out of the sandbox and go home.
Have a great weekend everybody!
Didn't read anything to cause that kind of reaction. ???
In fact the ... melt a barrel... made me smile.
Doing battle with Yellow Jackets today and hope I don't get stung!!!

Last edited by Imissedagain; 06-07-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Imissedagain
Good for chest muscles and Aikido/Judo. [/QUOTE]

You are a great Grand Pa ..
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Though long & drawn out, it's a pretty decent video.
I started out with a Lee SS, but upgraded to the Classic Turret about 18 months later (it's a PITA to have to set & reset the dies over and over).

I still have my SS & use it mainly for case decapping.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imissedagain View Post
Good for chest muscles and Aikido/Judo.
I got started on the Lee Hand Press myself. I donít think I ever really want to be without one (and I have a Dillon XL-750...) itís just too useful for the odd one-off job, so I donít have to swap out toolheads.

Ten rounds in a batch that donít *quite* plunk test? Pull out the Hand Press and itís fixed before I could swap out the Dillonís tool head.

Working up a load at ďthe rangeĒ? Yes, please! Prototype a load at the range, and mass produce later on the Dillon.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:26 PM

I started with a Lee Loader in the early 70's. Bought a single stage press in 1980. I see no reason to change. I like my barrels unmelted.