Get ready: Another run on guns and ammo. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 AM

Get ready: Another run on guns and ammo.

After a weekend of riots and unrest in several American cities, I would like to offer a prediction. Come Monday, when the gun shops open, there will be lines outside the doors, and by closing time all they will have left on the shelves will be dust and a few boxes of .40 S&W, and some weird caliber ammo for unpopular guns. It started with the pandemic, and will continue with the Floyd protests. People are scared. The country is absent any meaningful leadership, and the combination makes for people who donít know what they are doing, buying guns. This new wave of gun buyers wonít know what they are buying, wonít know how to load them, store them, or shoot them safely, and during the pandemic wonít have a place to shoot them safely, or learn how.

I am staying away from the politics of blaming; too many people giving opinions about that who donít donít what they are talking about or have a clue what is going on. I would like just to have some opinions now about the situation might affect responsible gun owners not involving name calling. I enjoy shooting as a sport, and hunting for food, but the availability and prices of ammo are a factor I have to consider. I am also concern about a tsunami of people owning guns without a clue about how dangerous they are or handling them responsibly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 AM

Well, just received 1000 rds of 9, all stocked up on .40, .308, 5.56, 00 Buck. If anyone is just thinking about it now, theyíre late to the party...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM

No worries here...Learned long ago. As far as what's going on now it's very obvious if people would open their eyes and think for themselves. Instead many have let the media take control of their lives...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 07:53 AM

You should maintain a minimum supply of ammo that you regularly shoot. Reorder when your inventory is getting close to your minimum. 1k is minimum for me for 9mm and .223. 10k for .22lr. Buy a minimum of a case at a time to keep costs down as well as keeping the ammo in the same lot number.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:05 AM

After Sandy Hook I started stocking up. I have a nice stock of reloading supplies and when prices hit rock bottom I started buying factory ammo.

Yes I wish I had more but based on my shooting volume I have at least a 2 year supply.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:33 AM

Unfortunately the prices have gone up. I just ordered 1000 rounds of 9mm loose Blazer from Natchez for $249 + free shipping. Best deal around. A few weeks ago it was $186. I reload .40 and .45 so I am OK with those rounds. Like scubadad said after Sandy Hook the next morning I ordered extra ammo and bought an AK to join my AR.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:38 AM

Pretty much for sure. I happened to go by my only opened indoor range a day or two ago and they had pretty much zero ammo in the retail store attached. That is why I reload and have a prudent stockpile.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:00 AM

By it cheap and stack it deep. I've not been shooting much since COVID ammo buying craze.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:11 AM

No Point in owning firearms & lots of ammo - IF - you won't defend your own property.
In The ongoing riots - If there were extra hired security personnel, or armed store owners, then I didn't see them - or even hear about them. Even among the uninsured owners who lost everything. I do think those who were insured should use the money for a new life in some safer place. Let the city clean up the mess - THEY allowed to happen. Can't fix or fight STUPID - but you can leave it behind.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 AM

What I have done in the past is to go in with several buddies on 1000rd orders on pistol and rifle ammo. We split the cost of the ammo and the shipping fee. This is far more cost effective than purchasing same number of rds from the local retailers.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 AM

The Constitution gives everyone the right to own a firearm. I don't read anything in there about knowing how to use one. Not being a jerk just stating that I, 100% support what it says.

Wont know how to load and use them you ask? I had a CC class in my shop and the instructor called me to help one of the students with their 1911, the instructor was Block fan. Not invited back. Had a customer show up with loaded G19 for classes only to not understand why, when he was racking the slide ammo kept being ejected with his finger clearly on the trigger. How many bullets are in there? Can you help me? How many un-holster their hot CC to try a new holster. Even had them walk to the counter lay their hot CC down and to go get anther holster to try.

We were at least 12 months for the supply chain to stabilize and now more like 18 months. Not shelves full though.

Yes, store up ammo but when you train with a couple hundred rounds per week with no resupply, its doesn't take long to empty the stored ammo cans. If you are not training then you are not staying proficient.

Locally the shelves are bare of 9 and 556/223. One shop told me he was backorder 6 months per his vendor, this was a month ago.

And I also believe the shelves will get emptier and the supply chain slower.

A little over 10 years ago, a 1000 round case lot of Blazer 45 was $90ish.

There were some mom pop shops that had armed guards. One lady who was interviewed said her customers came to her aid.

The Republic is a mess right now with no correction coming.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:58 AM

I went to buy some 40-70 Sharps Straight last week.

I finally found some. But they only had one box.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 PM

When the OBAMANATION Panic of '08 hit, I got SERIOUS about my ammo stockpiling.

If I went to the range, and shot 150 rds. of .45, I ordered 300 to replace it that night. If I shot 400 rds. of 5.56, I ordered 800rds (or MORE) that night.

Replacing with DOUBLE what I've shot over the years, has actually amazed even me. With more time on my hands than I cared for since China bug invaded, I inventoried my stash, and was blown away by how much I actually have. I hesitate to mention a figure on open forum, but with just 5.56, it's three times what I THOUGHT I had.

Heaven help us, if times get worse, and I actually HAFTA expend it all...
Old 05-31-2020, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure there will be people that are "trying" to buy more ammos and guns. But some members have already stated that ammo prices have increased and there are limits on how much one can buy. Bulk 1000 round cases are limited to one case and the quantity is either low or many places are just simply out. Most online stores are charging $300 and higher per 1000/9mm ball, plus shipping. I stocked up when price were less than $200 a case.

I went to a large gun store in my area twice since the chicom virus scare started, just to look. The handgun shelves are half full. The cheap Saturday night specials are all gone. Revolvers aren't sexy so they are in stock. The AKs and ARs were also in short supply. The employees said that some factories are only working with skeleton crew to assemble and ship guns out. So there are less guns in the pipeline from the factory to the distributors and finally to the stores. Higher end guns ($1000 and up) are still somewhat available as their marketed toward different demographic of buyers.

It will take some time for the ammo and gun supply to catch up to the demand again. People got complacent in the first 3 years of Trump's presidency. The sellers couldn't give away AR magazines in 2019. Many marketed a pack of x quantity of magazines AND equal amount of ammo for just the price of the mags, i.e. buy mags get free ammo. Same with guns, buy X gun and get extra quantity of mags and ammo. Not anymore. Some smaller stores would keep a stash of ammo for people that buy guns from them.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
After Sandy Hook I started stocking up. I have a nice stock of reloading supplies and when prices hit rock bottom I started buying factory ammo.

Yes I wish I had more but based on my shooting volume I have at least a 2 year supply.
I took up reloading in the wake of Sandy Hook. Had a small supply of factory ammo but I knew I needed/wanted more.

Since that time, I've bought small amounts of reloading supplies &/or factory ammo on paydays.

I still do this today. A little something bought every payday.

I don't shoot every day & when I do shoot, it's maybe 100-150 rounds.

I think I'm good on ammo for the next 2-4 years.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:11 PM

Within the last month my LGS got new shipments of ammo and even Colt 6920s, A Ruger 57, and other guns. They don't price-gouge, even when demand was sky-high, but they don't limit you either; you can buy as much as you can afford.

There hasn't been much protest here but I think the OP is correct--the riots may be the spark for the second wave of panic buying.

It'll be interesting to stop by the shop next week and see if they're selling out of stuff again.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:23 PM

Actually, now that I think about it some more I don't think there will be a run on guns and ammo here in Honolulu--unemployment is 35-40% and lines for the food give aways are 4-5 hours long. I don't think people will have money to buy guns and ammo.

Also, with our restrictive laws and regulations in place there's about a 2 month lag between purchases and registration/taking possession (not on ammo). That really sucks but there's nothing short of a miracle that's going to change things here.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:24 PM

Let them buy all the guns they can afford. As long as they do it legally. Its good for business and exercising their rights promotes upholding of 2A.
Chances are they will never use them and if they do, it most likely won't result in a criminal offense.
The criminals buy guns 24-7-365 no matter what happens politically.

and what is the thought behind stockpiling all that ammunition?
Old 05-31-2020, 04:36 PM

and what is the thought behind stockpiling all that ammunition?[/QUOTE]

Without ammo a gun is just mechanical art or a really expensive club.

I stock up so I have it when I want it. Not having a small stash is like going grocery shopping everyday just to make dinner.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:18 PM

If you get out regularly and shoot or compete you will need thousands of rounds especially if ammo gets hard to buy at certain times I reload and have lots of components on hand.

But how much do you need for defense even shtf scenarios. If the shooting starts I doubt we'll be going through thousands of rounds and if you have to take off how much can you carry. You're pretty poorly prepared if you have to run out and buy a couple boxes of hollow points now.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 PM

I looked to see if there was a thread in this subject, and yes indeed, here it is (+1911).

I'll just add the obvious -- well, obvious to those of us here -- and that is, there are many good reasons for the 2A.

Cellphones, Dem politicians, etc., are no substitute for judicious exercise of 2A rights of preparedness, SD, etc.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 06-01-2020, 07:21 AM

Gee at my age, my primary concern is to have enough on hand so that my range trips are not curtailed due to any shortage. That aside, I do have a comfortable stock of reloading components on hand also. As far as guns go my biggest dilemma is which ones to pack for the range.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 AM

I think most gun people have a decent supply of ammo on hand.

Supply and demand, I have no problem with prices going up as long as there is something to actually buy, which isn't a given. If the Dems take power this fall honest gun owners will be the main target as they take revenge for the Trump win in 2016. Count on it, and count on panic buying at a crazy level.

Newbies buying guns doesn't bother me, we all were beginners at one time, the more on board our boat the better.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:05 AM

I'm sure there's gonna be another wave of panic buys. I was kicking around the idea of buying an AR or similar just because my Governor really, really wants to try and ban them. Up til now I thought of such rifles as more of a 'want' than a 'need.' Having seen this round of protests, even though it hasn't come into my back yard per se I'm convinced I'll want more than just my hunting rifles, shotgun, or a pistol if it ever should.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one. I spoke to a friend that's never owned nor even been around firearms just yesterday and the topic came up in passing. They're being forced to reconsider their position as well.

Fortunately I have a stock of ammo for the weapons that I do own.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Between the Panic, the rioting, and the upcoming election, expect everything shooting-related to be in short supply until January.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me