1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 07:59 PM

Anybody try Ramrodz?

https://www.amazon.com/RamRodz-38-Ca...886610&sr=8-30

Bought some of these as Stocking stuffers for Christmas.
I finally decided to buy some for myself.
Tried acouple today for a light cleaning on a 38 Super.
Seem to work great, especially if you don't want to drag out your whole cleaning kit.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 PM

I've been using the .22 and 9mm/38 cal ones for a couple years now, they work great, especially the .22. I never regularly cleaned my .22 pistols because the rod would always rub against the rifling; now with ramrodz i do a quick swab with hoppes at the range and a more thorough cleaning later.

The .45 size is kinda expensive but I'll order some the next time.

I don't like the rifle size ramrodz--the adaptor is kinda flimsy and expensive and I still have the problem with the rod rubbing against the rifling. Those rifle tips are just like hard, pointy Q-tips so they get used for digging the crud out of the crevices, slots, whatever.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:24 PM

I use them almost exclusively now. After brushing the barrel I use them to clean the residuals off. They work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 08:32 PM

Is that the new Erectile Dysfunction pill?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Is that the new Erectile Dysfunction pill?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:17 AM

Yes, don't hesitate, great time saver, I use the 45's and 38 super's for years now, best thing since sliced bread...Main place I use them is in my pistol barrels. Spray some MPRO7 down the chamber and into the bore, run a couple of RR through them, one to dry, one to lightly lube (user's choice, some people think it is dangerous to lightly lube a 38s barrel). All done...Once in a while I'll run a nylon brush down the bore after the MPRO7 and before the RR....I also use RR to clean the compensators on my 3 1911's which have one.

Try to keep this "quite", if too many people find out how much time they will save with RR's there might be massive hording and shortages. Kinda like the Great toilet-paper panic of 2020 ;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Honest question:

What is the advantage of this item vs a normal cleaning patch & cleaning rod? Trying to understand & justify to myself the increased cost to clean a pistol barrel. Is the cleaning fob unique in some way? Can't get many specifics from the linked ad.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-31-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Honest question:

What is the advantage of this item vs a normal cleaning patch & cleaning rod? Trying to understand & justify to myself the increased cost to clean a pistol barrel. Is the cleaning fob unique in some way? Can't get many specifics from the linked ad.
More convenient, faster, disposable...Also and this is significant, you can clean your bore very nicely pushing from the chamber end with the gun fully assembled (slide locked back) because the strong handles bend nicely...There are other ways to clean the bore on an assembled gun of course, but none easier than RR, IMO.

Is it worth the $? Depends, only you can decide, I hate cleaning because it is so repetitive during shooting season, so anything which facilitates getting it over faster is something I will consider...

I would just suggest investing in one package and seeing if it is worth it for you. Try them out, I love them, anyone I've recommended them to and who tried them like Striker (very high-volume shooter) and others on the WCF like them alot.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-31-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I've found that is fast and super easy, and pretty inexpensive is SQCG (Super Quick Clean Gun) - it is a CLP that is applied with a pump spray bottle and they have a "gun mouse" that is braided nylon (I think) that gets pulled from the chamber and exits the muzzle. I still wipe the gun down afterward and use my normal lube, but the SQCG seems to be the fastest way for me to get my pistols clean. Haven't tried it on rifles yet.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:08 AM

Bore snakes work good for a quick clean on the range.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
More convenient, faster, disposable...Also and this is significant, you can clean your bore very nicely pushing from the chamber end with the gun fully assembled (slide locked back) because the strong handles bend nicely...
Many thanks, CA. Just the info I was looking for.

NRA Life Member