1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 05:14 PM

Moving to a New State

From Tennessee to Florida.

How do I get all these guns there? Just load the truck and go? How am I going to explain that if I get pulled over??

Florida have any weird laws I need to know about?

Thanks!

Last edited by Metalfarm; 05-28-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Download the CCW app
Attached Images

Last edited by Colt Carson; 05-28-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 PM

I moved from NY to Florida a few years ago. I packed all my guns in the bed of my truck underneath boxes of household stuff. Never said a word to anybody drove through NYC and NJ never had a problem. Now the problem you MIGHT have is coming into Florida. The wife and granddaughter just drove down from NY and were stopped at the GA/FL state line because of the Covid 19 stuff. Their vehicle was not inspected they had to fill out statements regarding self quarantining for 14 days. The vehicle tags were recorded so if my granddaughter was out and about and got stopped within those 14 days, I have no idea what would happen probably nothing but who knows. I don't think you should have any problems and don't call any attention to yourself you should be OK.Just from my experience.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalfarm View Post

...Florida have any weird laws I need to know about?

Thanks!
Isn't there a law about carrying while wearing a Speedo?

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-28-2020, 06:17 PM

https://www.gunlaws101.com/article/v...le-journey-law
Old 05-28-2020, 06:42 PM

https://www.handgunlaw.us/

Going from Tennessee to Florida I would not expect you to have a problem.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:49 PM

My daughter was making Big Bank at her middle school doing the same scheme that I had told her about from my school days:

Buying bulk bagged candy at supermarkets & drugstores. "Fun Size" Milky Ways, M&M's, Twix, you name it.

Then reselling at school for 100% markup. The kids loved it, she made money, and most importantly, the teachers did not care as long as it was not in class.

All went well until a kid in another grade asked to join her operation, selling to his classmates for a piece of the action (to be paid in candy) She agreed.

So what's this kid do? HE ASKS THE PRINCIPAL if candy sales are permitted.

He was told NO of course & the principal then called me about this. But the thing was, there hadn't been a rule about this until now. He invented a rule to fit the offense!

The point is not that Florida is not going to invent a law to mess with you, but they may damn well FIND one that will. The Penal Code is the size of an encyclopedia set.

Now I wouldn't advise you to do anything that's illegal to your knowledge, but I will say that the Candy Boy really screwed the pooch on that one.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:54 PM

You should drive South? I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 PM

Moved from N.Y. to Florida 1990. Had my guns in the car did not get stopped. I mailed my N.Y.permit backed to N.Y. Got a letter from N.Y. asking me about my guns. I sent a letter back to the police department stating that the guns were with me and no permit was needed in Florida.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 PM

Ya know, the military had a rule once. It was Don't Ask......and........ something or the other, I don't recall.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:35 PM

Yup...load the truck and go. I've seen this question get asked a dozen times on various forums and I have yet to see any real viable option other than driving them yourself. Wrapping the guns in blankets will help prevent them from bumping into each other. And you'll want to do it in one shot as leaving them in the truck overnight or lugging them in and out of a hotel is less than ideal.

Keep to the speed limit and don't have a taillight out and you should be fine. If you get stopped be polite and professional. There is nothing illegal about moving your stuff from Tennessee to Florida. But with that said I would try to bury the guns under other obvious moving boxes and such.

It also always a good idea to make sure your insurance policies are up to date and the guns are FULLY insured...just incase.

Good luck!

And may the odds be ever in your favor!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:12 PM

In a normal world, load and go would be fine...but motel parking lots are a Flea Market for thieves...especially here in Amarillo. For some reason, I-40 and maybe the local area breed the worst road rats ever. It is almost a nightly occurance, sometimes they take the whole truck/trailer and it's GONE Yes, there have been a few recoveries, but if you leave anything valuable in your ride while staying in a motel, at least, take them inside. Hotel parking lots may be different, some of those are indoors, so it may behoove you to either stay at a secure hotel, or have an alarm on the vehicle, and stay ALERT!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:23 PM

No hotels or motels. Drive straight through. Memphis to Jacksonville is only 700 mi. That's a day. I hope the "truck" has a lockable shell or is an SUV or moving van. Because unless you have a partner you gotta leave it unattended on restroom breaks.

Go for it. This ain't no thang.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:04 AM

If I had sales receipts for the guns I would have that accesible to me. If you can prove to a trooper (in the case something happens) that the guns are your personal property then they really can't say much. You don't want to appear to be a gun runner bringing in a bunch of black rifles.
Most or all moving companies will not move guns. It must be done by an individual.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:30 AM

Driving thru Tennessee, Georgia and then Florida will be no problem for you. You can have as many guns as you wish anywhere in the vehicle as long as "they are not readily accessible for immediate use". And, in Florida you can also carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle prior to obtaining a Florida concealed carry permit if it meets the above criteria. So, a glove box, holster with a closing strap, center console with a lid, zipper gun rug, etc. all meet the requirement. Also, if you have a Tennessee CCW Florida has reciprocity with Tennessee.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:28 AM

You should be good to go. Ive traveled from Florida to GA, Tennessee, Kentucky many times with a few firearms. Never a problem. Heres a couple links for you with a little info on Floridas laws.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/florida/

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...0790/0790.html
Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
You can have as many guns as you wish anywhere in the vehicle as long as "they are not readily accessible for immediate use".
Me, I would not make the trip without a loaded weapon, very handy. in my case C1.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:24 AM

My sister in law had the opposite problem. Her husband died in FL. and she was moving back to NY assuming she could just pack all his guns (many) into the car and have them in NY. I quickly stopped her and took them to SC where I sold them for her. She never did get a permit for NY but can not imagine what would happen if stopped in NY with among many:

Semi Uzi
Semi Thompson
various revolvers
Cowboy Action Setups
multiple semi autos
Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
My sister in law had the opposite problem. Her husband died in FL. and she was moving back to NY assuming she could just pack all his guns (many) into the car and have them in NY. I quickly stopped her and took them to SC where I sold them for her. She never did get a permit for NY but can not imagine what would happen if stopped in NY with among many:

Semi Uzi
Semi Thompson
various revolvers
Cowboy Action Setups
multiple semi autos
You certainly saved her from a very difficult situation.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 AM

It depends on where the OP is going about his route but I would imagine he will definitely be going through GA & Florida. Depending on his destination he might go through Alabama. Not that there isn't room for improvement but these states are relatively firearm friendly. I would be more concerned about how to pack the firearms to insure they don't get damaged.
If you have to get out of the vehicle lock them down. You should be fine.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:01 AM

Here's advice you didn't expect or want to hear.....
We are seniors & after I was released by my CANCER doctors - we moved to FL to be close to our Daughter. Moved guns & ammo fine in our vehicle - BUT HATED FLORIDA once we got there. HORRIBLE Summer heat will keep you indoors - unless you can be in the water. insects, reptiles(including druggies) can ruin the ambiance of any location. Everything seemed more expensive - food, homes, tax, & all services. Plenty of crime. Worst of all - were the obnoxious people from up north crowding everything & being grumpy during the winter months. Many were old & drove like they were lost & crashing into things or cutting people off. I think the ugliest of them lived near us.
Fortunately - we got out of there without losing our shirts, & are back in the beautiful, friendly, laid back, tranquil, North Georgia Mountains. I wouldn't live in FL again if THE DONALD gave me MARA-LAGO.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
We are seniors & after I was released by my CANCER doctors - we moved to FL to be close to our Daughter. Moved guns & ammo fine in our vehicle - BUT HATED FLORIDA once we got there. HORRIBLE Summer heat will keep you indoors - unless you can be in the water. insects, reptiles(including druggies) can ruin the ambiance of any location. Everything seemed more expensive - food, homes, tax, & all services. Plenty of crime. Worst of all - were the obnoxious people from up north crowding everything & being grumpy during the winter months. Many were old & drove like they were lost & crashing into things or cutting people off. I think the ugliest of them lived near us.
Fortunately - we got out of there without losing our shirts, & are back in the beautiful, friendly, laid back, tranquil, North Georgia Mountains. I wouldn't live in FL again if THE DONALD gave me MARA-LAGO.
We were in Florida last weekend. My older sister & her husband live on the inter coastal waterway down by Pensacola at Perdido Key. It is a nice place to visit. They love the ocean & fish & play in the water regularly. I have relatives in North Georgia but live South of ATL. If I had to choose between the beach & the mountains I would pick the mountains myself.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
This sounds like West Palm, Dade and Broward counties. Agree 100%. I don't know what misguided thoughts brought me here in 1999. (Here is in Broward.)

21 years later and I'm considering selling the house and going back up north. I'd rather deal with ice and snow than with snowbirds, and boy howdy, down here it don't look like the USA anymore. Depending on where you're at it looks like Brazil, Haiti, Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, but it doesn't look like America anymore.

When I visit Virginia and Georgia on business trips I get promptly reminded of what America looks like. It don't look like *this*.

Jacksonville, Pensacola, Ft. Walton are much more amenable. But South Florida? Ick. Ew. Biggest regret of my life. No. Big no. I wasn't thinking right back then.

To add insult to injury, all of South Florida is deeply blue and no hope of flipping it red. If Tallahassee falls to the Left, then it'll be open-season on us gun owners.

Worse yet -- getting home insurance here is real tough if you have an older, say 20+ year home. I just went through hell for that. My house is from 1973.

It's like.. they *don't* want you living here..

I'm heavily considering Wyoming, go do IT work for a gun maker or something. I've had it with this place.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 05-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Florida upsides:

Firework stands
Warm ocean temp
Topless women on South Beach

But best of all: I believe that Florida has the most lenient car importation & registration laws in the US.

You want to register an imported Japanese Kei car? No problem. Grey market non-US Spec supercars? easy peasy. Put a Formula Car on the road? Yep ---- Fla is your place.

But personally I would never live anywhere that it's common to screen-in patios due to bugs. No way.

I also won't live anywhere that you can die of exposure (too hot/too cold) just by being outside in jeans & a T shirt.

I'm not gonna spend my life planning or delaying what want to do based on weather.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:17 PM

I lived in N.Y. for 50 years of my life. I am in Florida 30 years and love it, the land of the free. For the cry babies here you should have checked around before you moved down here. Central west Florida is great. I don't know how long it's going to last with all the liberals moving down here to screw up this state like they did up north .