Surprisingly cool guns in movie - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM

Surprisingly cool guns in movie

I've been watching some so-called "Blaxploitation" type movies on Youtube.

Superfly type stuff. It's a fun genre of 1970's films. Played by Black actors.

They are cheesy street / crime dramas featuring hot mamas, cool cats in leisure suits, chrome revolvers, and pimpy cars.

Last night it was Friday Foster, circa 1975, Starring Pam Grier (a Hot Mama in anybody's book)

Early on, three assassins are doled out some handguns to use in a hit. I expected the usual stuff.

But.............. Surprise! All 3 were Mauser Broomhandles! They get plenty of use in the film too.

There's also a Mac 9, a chrome 1911, and many other guns featured. But that the Broomhandles were used was a pleasant surprise, for a film made in the mid '70's.

Pam's shower scene was a welcome bonus as well!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Well, there was a time when Broomhandles were cheap surplus, so it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch ended up on the streets. Sure can't find a decent one for under two grand these days.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:06 AM

I'd sure like one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Me too. Unfortunately the money I'd have to save up for one would probably go towards another vintage 1911 instead. It's a vicious cycle.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:19 AM

I’d give anything for nice 9mm C96. Too bad the anything I’d give, I don’t have.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 05-25-2020, 11:20 AM

Did the Broomhandles appear to function on blanks?

It seems Internet Consensus that it is difficult to get a 1911 to work on blanks, hence American troops armed with Spanish Stars.

I have seen it said both ways of Lugers, but the last time I looked, there were shrewd camera cuts after every shot.

A gunzine article on prop guns told of the sad studio armorer sawing off an SKB double because the actor could not be expected to cycle a pump or get from one trigger to the other on a less expensive double.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I've been watching some so-called "Blaxploitation" type movies on Youtube.

Superfly type stuff. It's a fun genre of 1970's films. Played by Black actors.

They are cheesy street / crime dramas featuring hot mamas, cool cats in leisure suits, chrome revolvers, and pimpy cars.

Last night it was Friday Foster, circa 1975, Starring Pam Grier (a Hot Mama in anybody's book)

Early on, three assassins are doled out some handguns to use in a hit. I expected the usual stuff.

But.............. Surprise! All 3 were Mauser Broomhandles! They get plenty of use in the film too.

There's also a Mac 9, a chrome 1911, and many other guns featured. But that the Broomhandles were used was a pleasant surprise, for a film made in the mid '70's.

Pam's shower scene was a welcome bonus as well!
You won me at Pam Grier.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I ended up watching a lot of Chinese war movies and crime dramas over the years, and Broomhandles are very common in those, nearly as common as Glocks and Berettas in Hollywood films. Of course it would be period-correct as a ton of them were shipped to China, and a local copy was made as well. I would imagine that even today with the strict gun laws in China that old Broomhandles are still a common weapon among the criminal element there.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:33 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMJCorShtSc
Old 05-25-2020, 11:34 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=udwST2_X_WU
Old 05-25-2020, 11:38 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4RdpzwacITk
Old 05-25-2020, 12:43 PM

Broomhandle--shmoomhandle...
don't get me started on Pam Grier.

Did Han Solo's (and later, pilot Luke's) sidearm have to work with blanks?

For some quirky 'Nazi' reason, they gave the 'head bad-guy' a Mauser at the end of "Lethal Weapon 2", emptying it and unsuccessfully killing Riggs. I don't recall how it was actually shown/shot on screen, though.

In Clint Eastwood's "Joe Kidd", I thought they showed the stock-wearing Mauser shooting, rather quickly, a couple times during the movie(?).
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM

https://youtu.be/ORuENEBX5sE
Old 05-25-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
A gunzine article on prop guns told of the sad studio armorer sawing off an SKB double because the actor could not be expected to cycle a pump or get from one trigger to the other on a less expensive double.
That is one of the saddest firearm stories I've ever heard. I had a 20 gauge w/25" barrels during my high school years and have always regretted that I sold it in 1976. The BSS that replaced it is a nice shotgun, but doesn't hold a candle to that SKB.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM

They showed ammo for the broomhandle. But obviously, blanks were used. Keep in mind that in the Pre-CG days blanks are how these scenes were done.

emptymag----------- Are you trying to say that you don't like Pam G. or Broomhandle Mausers?

If so, I can't even fathom that! I think both she & the gun are awesome.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I ended up watching a lot of Chinese war movies and crime dramas over the years, and Broomhandles are very common in those, nearly as common as Glocks and Berettas in Hollywood films. Of course it would be period-correct as a ton of them were shipped to China, and a local copy was made as well. I would imagine that even today with the strict gun laws in China that old Broomhandles are still a common weapon among the criminal element there.
Good enough for Jackie Chan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awsh3mz1mg0
Old 05-25-2020, 01:05 PM

I am saying, if we are talking guns and Pam...
I don't care about the guns!
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM

Ah. I totally agree. Note that some scenes she is ------- shall we say, Au Naturel?

Also, If you are a car guy you will note the '60 Caddy Coupe that crashes into a wall. It is in 3 different scenes, including miraculously re-appearing after it was crashed.

Hey, this wasn't Big Budget stuff. Even Bullitt with Steve McQueen has the same VW passed by the hero ---------- twice on the same hill.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM

On the other hand there was one car chase movie that used up 7 or 8 cars of the same make, model, and color.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Cool guns in movies.....the vigilante cops in Magnum Force. Not many recognize it but they had Colt Pythons. Or Sonny in Miami Vice the original woth Don Johnsom. His backup was Detonics 45. The original compact 45.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Ah. I totally agree. Note that some scenes she is ------- shall we say, Au Naturel?
It was the '70s, man. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.

Even the Japanese samurai movies were showing some significant boobage.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:53 PM

I'm in!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:14 PM

deleted
Old 05-26-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You won me at Pam Grier.
She lost me with closing her eyes and violently flinching before every shot in those posted videos.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:16 PM

I remember watching some movies at the theater back in the late 70's and the previews came on. One was a movie starring Pam Grier (I don't remember the name), and there was a quick scene of her in the back seat of a car with two black guys in the front seat. I wasn't into firearms back then, but, she pulled out what looked like a 4" barrel S&W model 27 .357 magnum. I have to admit that the revolver sure impressed me. I was used to seeing snub nosed .38 Special crappy looking revolvers with skinny frames and skinny grips that looked super lame in movies. This was one beefy looking, impressive pistol.

A few years later I saw a movie starring Christopher George as a police detective. He ran up a flight of stairs to kick in an apartment door and was carrying a High Standard model 10 semi-auto shotgun with that attached Maglight flashlight. It was the first time I had ever seen it and it looked cool, but, later I learned it only held 3 shots.

On an episode of Hawaii Five-O (the original, not the lame remake) 60's-70's TV series I saw an episode where a bank robbery crew stopped their car in front of an armored car and a robber got out of their car with a rifle and fired two shots killing the driver and passenger guards. I thought how could he shoot through bullet proof glass? Turns out they hand loaded their cartridges with armor piercing bullets. It was unique little tidbits of interesting things like this that I really enjoyed watching the original Hawaii Five-O series.

But, the best, coolest looking firearm was from the 60's TV series The Invaders.

They also had cool gadgets like this disc that would cause brain hemorrhages when placed at the base of human's skulls. As demonstrated here by Gene Hackman in the first role that I ever recognized him in.

Last edited by INV136; 05-26-2020 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Additional