Glock question for 1911 guys... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Glock question for 1911 guys...

I'm asking this here because I doubt I'll get a straight answer on the Glock forums. This is going to be an indictment of striker-fired pistols.

A while back I was given a Gen 3 Glock 17 as a gift by a friend. I usually carry a Colt Rail Gun, and have for years, so it was a different experience. The piece in question was a police turn-in, so it had some miles on it.

The Glock has been assigned to be my bedside gun, so it sits on the table next to my bed. I wear the 1911 everywhere else.

Well, last night my wife and I woke up to the sound of a gunshot, and found that the Glock had fired. Nothing had acted on it physically. It didn't fall off the table. It didn't get caught up in the bedsheets. It was in the same position as where I left it, give or take, and the damned thing just fired.

I have had to assure my wife consistently over the years that things like that cannot happen, and thanks to this Glock, I am now on her **** list and no longer have any credibility on the subject. As you can imagine, it's been a very uncomfortable day.

Can anyone help me understand exactly how this might have happened? I'm going to have to destroy this piece, but before I run it through the band saw and turn it into a paperweight, I'd like to hear any advice any of you can share.

I'm disgusted. We all know the sensibility about how we keep guns to help protect the people we can about, and this one apparently did the exact opposite.

Many thanks in advance for your insights.

Last edited by theelderbrother; 05-24-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added a detail.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:05 PM

Before you destroy the Glock 17 have you contacted Glock to discuss this with them? I'm almost certain that the would want to be able to examine this gun to see what may have failed on the gun when it discharged.

Not that it didn't happen but in all my experiences with the Glock 17 (carried daily for work for almost 6 years) the only time it was ever unloaded was to clean it. It would go from holster to night stand to holster daily. The only time my Glock(s) ever fired was when my finger was on the trigger and I made a conscious effort to shoot it.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Have you broken the Glock down to inspect it?

For it to fire, the sear has to come away from the striker to release it. Since the Glock's striker is cocked to the fullest only by a trigger pull, just the sear releasing the striker won't allow a full power strike, but might be enough for your primers.

I'd be looking for broken parts/pins associated with the striker.

P.S. I only have a general understanding of Glocks, I am not a Glock armorer.
.45 ACP 1911s: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Build No. 1
www.discovering1911.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2020, 12:36 PM

The striker had to have slipped off the crucible all by itself for this to happen. My guess is the contact surface on either the striker or crucible (or both) have been worn down or 'smithed to the point that one or the other (or both) are no longer anywhere close to factory spec. Both parts are relatively inexpensive to replace and, unlike our beloved 1911, both parts are pure drop-in.

I forgot about the firing pin block. If it's even in the pistol it must be all gunked up and stuck at the top of its travel. During normal functioning the trigger bar pushes this firing pin block up and out of the way of the striker as the trigger is pulled.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 05-24-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:46 PM

Did you see the indentation on the primer? Seems to me unless someone did some serious alterations to the pistol’s internals, multiple parts would have had to fail. I don’t do Glocks, but I imagine they have a firing pin block.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Steve has stated my best guess, only way it could happen. It’s likely the cruciform part. Had a buddy that had a worn part and it would occasionally double fire, the cruciform would at times not catch the striker lug. This is a 16$ part to replace. My guess is if you took that gun as is, unloaded, racked the slide and subjected it to some heavy smacks with your hand you could get it to trip.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:42 PM

Even if there’s a malfunction where the striker would slip off and goes forward, how can it have enough energy to fire the primer? Glocks are only half-cocked. The trigger pull would retract the striker all the way back to full spring tension.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:48 PM

Glock question for 1911 guys...

My brother is a LEO and I am a gunsmith so while visiting him back east I offered to check his Glock duty pistol since it takes forever for his department armor to do so due to backlog.

What I found was the tip of the firing pin was chipped with only a small amount of metal remaining to engage the primer. The OP should send it back to Glock for analysis.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 05-24-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Even if there’s a malfunction where the striker would slip off and goes forward, how can it have enough energy to fire the primer? Glocks are only half-cocked. The trigger pull would retract the striker all the way back to full spring tension.
That's where I'm at. This all makes zero sense. Less than zero...
Old 05-24-2020, 02:07 PM

Agree with Bob and Steve. Much is made of the eka-double action but I would not bet against a striker falling off its at rest position setting off a round.

Gunsmith John Lawson described a striker fired .380 spontaneously shooting a hole in his jacket pocket in the closet.

The cruciform (normally sold as an assembly, trigger bar and trigger), connector, and striker can be replaced economically. Have Glock do it for best assurance.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Even if there’s a malfunction where the striker would slip off and goes forward, how can it have enough energy to fire the primer?
I have no idea. A wicked strong striker spring?
Old 05-24-2020, 02:23 PM

I also know don’t know how this is possible, and have a g43 In appendix carry pointed at my balls right now
Old 05-24-2020, 02:24 PM

You need to restore you credibility - and unless you find out why it fired and can show you were not to blame and what actually happened, you cannot do that. You need to "get to the bottom of this one" - or perpetually be "the idiot" in your own home. And justify one more person's unreasoned fear of firearms....

Note that this was a "gift from a friend" - a USED Glock without any history and you don't know what might have been done to the inside of the pistol by him or even someone before him. Probably NOT the Gun - too many out there without any problems - probably a modification by someone who didn't understand what he was doing.

Please, don't cut it up until the problem is identified - for everyone's safety and to add to the knowledge base for ALL Glock users - and it is probably completely fixable with a good cleaning and $20 worth of parts.

I still cannot see how the firing pin lock failed to keep the gun from firing, even if a part failed otherwise. This needs professional examination - by at least a Glock trained Armorer, or by sending it to Glock. If your local PD has Glocks, they might be willing to examine it for you for free, quickly - they care about unknown Glock problems.

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer

Last edited by Col. Colt; 05-24-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:25 PM

It's not April 1st so ....nah
Old 05-24-2020, 02:41 PM

Alternative theory: Maybe this was a final warning from an angry ghost/evil spirit inhabiting your home.

You might need a proton pack.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 05-24-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameeson View Post
I also know don’t know how this is possible, and have a g43 In appendix carry pointed at my balls right now
Makes me squirm just to read that. And not in a good way.......
Old 05-24-2020, 03:06 PM

You definitely need to contact Glock. They need to see what caused it so that it doesn't happen again to someone else. I don't think that they are going to believe you and that's another reason to contact them.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The partially cocked Glock striker has enough energy to ignite primers.

From the guy that invented the Glock Striker Control Device (SCD) or Gadget ( https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com )

I borrow this quote

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....your-EDC/page9
Quote:
I think a lot of people are putting too much emphasis on partially tensioned vs. fully tensioned strikers. The Glock isn't safe because it has a partially tensioned striker (the partially tensioned striker has sufficient energy to detonate most primers) but rather due to the features of the "Safe Action"® system -- features that can be (but seldom are) completely reimplemented in any striker fired design -- that form redundant "safeties" that require multiple "failures" before the gun can discharge.
It is possible there is nothing wrong with the gun and the OP could conceivably have pulled the trigger in his sleep. I've done some weird stuff while sleeping. However, I'd take advantage of Glock's excellent customer service reputation, contact them, explain the issue, and see what they recommend. I suspect they'd like to see your gun, and more than likely fix or replace it if there is an issue.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:09 PM

My wife one woke up a few minutes late because her clock had not sounded. She then noticed that it was re-positioned from it's prior location and her glasses had fallen off the table.

Clearly she had turned off the clock in her sleep.

Keep in mind that neither she, or I, have had any history of sleepwalking or other disorders.

So my question is, what position was she sleeping in when she awoke from the shot?

Was she facing the gun?
Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 PM

Do you have a cat?
Old 05-24-2020, 03:17 PM

I consider Appendix Carry (fashionable though it is in some circles) as a direct and unnecessary violation of one of the Four Rules of Firearms Safety:

"Never let your muzzle cover anything you are NOT Willing to DESTROY!."

It's your Family Jewels, but I would Find Another Way. Murphy is always looking for a chance to nail you - don't give him a running start..... CC

PS - Regarding our other mentioned "possible causes" - It is possible for someone to do things in one's sleep, like sleep walk - I did it as a child, negotiating a long hallway and set of basement stairs and returning to bed without my knowing it (Mom observed me) - but I would think the discharge of a 9MM would surely wake you up with the gun still in your hand! And I do believe in the reality of Demons (and Angels!), but this would be the first time I ever heard of one firing a Glock! Unless you have other paranormal activity in the house, I think that a bit more unlikely.... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer

Last edited by Col. Colt; 05-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:22 PM

I would have to take it to some one & get it checked out. See if something was abnormally worn or if someone did some "home smithing" & messed it up. While I was never told of it malfunctioning one of my neighbors had a Glock that he had someone work on the trigger on. It was too light for me. I mean it was a lot of fun to shoot watching water bottles explode when I thought about pulling the trigger but I would have been scared to carry it.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Even if the striker somehow slips off of the sear by itself the firing pin safety should have prevented a discharge. Either the pistol has been monkeyed with somehow, or some external force acted on it without you realizing it in your slumber.

Having said that, this is why I'm not a fan of ANY of the modern striker-fired handguns with no manual safety. All it takes is a slight tug on the trigger, and BLAM! Probably not the kind of firearm you want just sitting on your nightstand loaded without being in a gun vault or proper holster.

And I agree with the others... contact Glock. They will be more than happy to inspect it and either give it the all-clear or replace any worn components. They probably won't even charge you for it unless they discover that it has been messed with.

And one last thing... good luck with that metal bandsaw. Glock slides are HARD.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:17 PM

Maybe your wife reached over, pulled the trigger and then pretended to be just as surprised as you. This giving her reasoning to make you get rid of it haha.

All kidding aside, I'm glad no one was hurt and you're both safe.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:17 PM

If you never took it totally apart and confirmed for yourself that the firing pin block plunger was freely moving and the spring was not weak/broken it may have gotten seized like my Gen2 did due to lack of care and dirt.

That combined with the fact when a Glock has a lot of rounds the tolerances start to drift and you can start to see out of battery ignitions and strikers slipping off the "sear" if the slide has vertical play. Normally the firing pin block will prevent this from happening but if it is not working like I described you can fire the gun by sticking a screw driver between the slide and frame and twisting.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland