Modified mil-spec vs buying - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Modified mil-spec vs buying

Hi all. New here, was hoping to get some clarification on modifying my mil spec vs buying a loaded vs buying a TRP.

So I received a brand new mil spec as a gift a while back. It shoots okay and is solid.

However, I wouldnít have bought a mil-spec, but would have opted for one with the bells and whistles. I donít want to seem like the ungrateful friend and give it back, so Iím stuck in a dilemma.

Should I just mod this one. I have priced out all Wilson bullet proof parts and have sourced multiple gunsmithsóincluding Wilson.

Mods would be trigger, hammer, sear, disco, strut, beavertail, thumb safety, springs, front and rear sights including machining, front strap checkering, flat mainspring housing, and other little misc pieces.

For parts and labor, all places have come to be in the 1300-1700 price range.

If I did this, how would this compare to something like a loaded or TRP? Quality and features? Am I essentially making a Loaded model but with better quality parts?

Iíve been reading all the spec sheets but other than the things listed on SAís site, not entirely sure on what the full differences are.

Go easy on me. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 PM

JMHO, you can pour a bunch of money into a Mil-Spec and its still a Mil-Spec which is not a bad thing, keep the gift learn the 1911 and add a higher end pistol in the future.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:52 PM

I’d keep the mil-spec as is and get the TRP. You’ve clearly done your homework and the cost analysis favors the TRP. That way you have two 1911s of different styles. Ultimately the big thing you won’t be able to accomplish with the mil-spec is the tight fit of the TRP. I’d say that factor alone tips the scales. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 PM

I would certainly agree with this assessment.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 PM

I would say if you can afford to buy a Loaded or TRP, and one of those is what your heart desires, your best bet is to do that rather than make an attempt at turning your Mil Spec into either of them.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:22 PM

You'll never get the gunsmithing costs back. Just buy the TRP.

For me, the correct answer would be to change the mainspring housing, add an ambidextrous safety and install Trijicon HD XR night sights on it. Then I'd shoot the heck out of it. $1,000 in 45 ammo is quite a bit if you reload!

If I were going to build up a gun, I'd start with Colt or Dan Wesson and go from there. Part of the allure of the Mil Spec is the A1 style at a low cost.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-21-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:32 PM

I agree with Hardball and tomrkba, keep the Milspec and buy the TRP. You can learn the ins and out of a 1911 on the Milspec and use the TRP for defense, range, or whatever else you can imagine. Nice friend to give you a Springfield.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 PM

I’d modify ,
But I have a thing for clean mil specs with a beavertail/extended safety/front strap checker
Old 05-21-2020, 11:42 PM

I recently considered the same decision...

Although I wasn't given a Mil-Spec by a friend; that adds a whole additional level of complexity to things.

In my case I originally considered a Defender model (same thing as a Mil-Spec without the plastic box and an extra mag) but realized before purchase that I wanted those same 'bells & whistles'. Original Mil-Spec is cool, but to me the improvements of the additional newer features afforded by 100+ years of technology advancement (like larger sights, aluminum target trigger, target hammer, beavertail, etc.) was irresistible.

I upgraded to the Loaded model and never looked back, and although I haven't shot it yet, I love it.

My advice would be to trade up. You can't ADD all those additional features for the difference in price; and then there's the wait of getting your gun into your favorite smith's shop and back. Literally could be YEARS...

The two guns look almost alike. I doubt if your friend would ever notice the difference. If the guilt thing really bothers you, GET BOTH!...
Old 05-22-2020, 12:05 AM

Haha thanks everyone.

I’m not worried about not getting my returns back in gunsmith costs—if I did upgrade this, I’d keep it forever.

I guess my issue is that I’m okay spending 1500 on upgrades, but feel guilty spending 1500 on a new gun.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:23 AM

The TRP gets you what you want for about same or less than your mods. But it will be loaded with mim where your customized Mil Spec would be tool steel components and probably better fit. I don’t have issue with the TRP as is but tool steel components is part of the customized allure. It depends on how well the upgrades are done. I’d say pop the green for the TRP and keep the Mil Spec. As mentioned in an earlier post, two different configurations.

Also, don’t overlook the Mil Spec being upgraded in its GI pattern. I have grown fond of doing a few upgrades to the basic pattern and the gun will be very good in hand. If your Mil Spec has a good barrel fit, you’re half way there.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 05-22-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: speeleeng
Old 05-22-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
The TRP gets you what you want for about same or less than your mods. Bit it will be loaded with mim where your customized Mil Spec would be tool steel components and probably better fit. I donít have issue with the TRP as is but tool steel components is part of the customized allure. It depends on how well the upgrades are done. Iíd say pop the green for the TRP and keep the Mil Spec. As mentioned in an earlier post, two different configurations.

Also, donít overlook the Mil Spec being upgraded in its GI pattern. I have grown fond of doing a few upgrades to the basic pattern and the gun will be very good in hand. If your Mil Spec has a good barrel fit, youíre half way there.
This is more or less what I was looking for. If i build the mil spec, for a little more money than a TRP, I will have similar features that are made from billet compared to MIM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:08 AM

Let's talk ignition components.
I have a TRP and a SA Pro, both with with OE ignition parts.
The tuned TRP has, IMO, a just barely better trigger than the Pro although the roll trigger guys may disagree. I gave the Pro's ignition some minor tuning and the TRP a full on trigger job (it needed it.)
Will the MIM TRP components hold up as well as the tool steel Pro bits after 50,000 rounds? I don't know. 10.000 rounds? IMO Probably.
The point of this massive missive is to;
1) encourage you to ask yourself if something really needs to be replaced and
2) see if you want to do improvements on your own.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:57 AM

Ok I love Custom 1911's . The is a project that is of interest if I was sending it
to Rob at ACW or Springfield armory custom shop . Both are not really doing
custom work any more . You can buy a TRP for around 1300.00 to 1400.00 new
I'd buy the TRP - you get a magwell / black T finish / G10 grips / Low Profile Combat
3-Dot Tritium sights / 20 LPI checkering .

I would shoot the pistol to break it in . Then I'd put a GI guide rod in it and send it
off to SACS or some custom shop and have them do a trigger job with tool steel
match hammer and sear at 3.5 lbs . Then your set .

Option #3 Go full custom . Sell the mil spec for 4 or 500 take the 1700.00 you were
going spend on the custom work that is 2200.00 save another 800.00 and you got
enough to buy a full Custom Professional or an ACW . Then you will have a gem of
a pistol to keep for a lifetime .
Old 05-22-2020, 08:58 AM

I've got a custom Mil-Spec and a semi-custom TRP. I love the look of the Mil-Spec. So much so that my custom Mil-Spec looks very similar to the stock gun. Before Rob went to full-on manufacturer he had a conversion called "The Retro" for stock Mil-Specs and Colts. It included Harrison Retro sights, various customer specified ignition kits, replacement of various parts, flush cut and crowned barrel, serrated front strap, etc. The gun looks old school cool but is totally custom, tight, perfectly reliable with any ammo, and came with whatever finish you wanted.

You could do something like that or just keep the Mil-Spec stock. Even bone stock, the Mil-Specs are great 1911s, in my opinion. The TRP is a bigger, heavier gun. I love the TRP too. In fact, I just got it back from Novaks where I had it's 15 year old, (estimating), tritium sights replaced. You're going to want at least one stock looking 1911 in your collection. I'd keep the Mil-Spec, and then later whenever you decide that you can part with the coin, buy the TRP. The MIM parts on the new TRPs are well made and won't break, unless you shoot the thing 50,000 rounds. If they do break, you simply replace with forged.

Last edited by bradsvette; 05-22-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Rich View Post

If I did this, how would this compare to something like a loaded or TRP? Quality and features? Am I essentially making a Loaded model but with better quality parts?
The price difference between a Mil-Spec and Loaded is not the quality of the parts, but the features.

Generally, the difference between a production gun and a custom gun are the way the parts are fit together rather than the parts themselves.

I would expect having a professional gunsmith putting these parts together you'll have a better gun than either a Loaded or a TRP since they both are really just production guns. A gunsmith should be able to fit whatever parts chosen, though I'd let the gunsmith pick the specific parts since they know what works best, better than the Springfield Factory line worker.

On the other hand, if it were somebody like me trying to install the worlds best parts on a Mil-Spec, well, I'd buy a TRP, because I'm not going to be able to do the work better than the Springfield Factory employee.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Here is a pic of a mil spec type build. I started dabbling in this format several years ago. The only work left is to blend the rear of the slide and texture/finish the frame with rust blue. All the parts are good stuff. I was forced to use the Remington rear sight since I wanted to stay milspec dovetail and they use a 70 degree cut. The key for me is the rear of the pistol. The grips safety is a near copy of the original GI spur type. This grip safety started life shaped like the one on your pistol. There is just enough meat on it to keep the pistol a pleasant shooter. The hammer is an original GI unit that I bobbed to work with this gun. I bought it altered so I didn't have issue using it this way for this build. This pistol became one of my favorites in short order.

I have looked at s Springer Mil Spec like yours. I want to set it up very similar to this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Baer-emington, left side profile view.jpg   Baer-emington, right side profile view.jpg   Baer-emington, left rear ts and slide view.jpg   Baer-emington, top right rear view.jpg  
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:50 PM

Rich has seen mine. I emailed him the build sheet and specifics. Right now as it sits I am right $1700 into it mods and price of pistol. Same MIM parts as TRP. Even the Pro has MIM in it. Actually sold my Pro and kept the Mil Spec. Mil Spec is every bit as accurate as the Pro was. The kicker is this is done way I want it. Loaded and TRP I would have FCS.

If I had to do it all over again I would. When I got ready I got quotes from Alchemy, SACS, and Evolution Armory. All was in the $1000 range for what I wanted done.

Springfield's 1911 Defensive Package:
1. Deburr pistol internally 2. Tune extractor & ejector 3. Recut barrel throat & polish feed ramp 4. Install custom match bushing 5. Check headspace 6. Install new recoil spring & firing pin spring 7. Tuned 4.5 lb. trigger 8. GI Models: Lower & flare ejection port; install extended ejector 9. Refinish as needed (Additional charge for some finishes) 10. Reliability tuning 11. Inspect & test fire for function

Last edited by scottl; 05-22-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM

Speaking of MIM, I know I can save a couple hundred by buying Wilson’s MIM parts instead of the bullet proof line.

But then there’s the ever lasting debate of using MIM parts. Is there a quality difference between say Springfields MIM vs Wilson’s MIM?
Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM

The 1911 world definitely differentiates between a mim loaded pistol and one filled with machined barstock/forgings. I think the Pro illustrates how durable and good a custom pistol can be utilizing mim. But it being accepted as such had to be proven by its very inception and performance of the FBI tests.

In contrast, Wilson start putting mim in his guns (his personal ones, too) at one point and took a huge market backlash.

Same tier guns, similar quality, completely opposite acceptance.

I have a McCormick mim hammer and sear set I have run in two pistols. The quality is excellect. I don't know how many 10k's of rounds is on that set, plus the copious dry fire, and that set is still going strong.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM

Everywhere I read, it seems like MIM is only an issue in the 1911 world.

I just priced all the parts in MIM, and it’s about a 250 dollar difference.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:51 PM

If you buy the TRP, what will you do with the Mil?
Sell it or shelve it?
Old 05-22-2020, 03:43 PM

The big reason for tooled steel ignition parts is feel . Also gunsmiths find it
easier to modify . You'll get a much crisper solid breaking trigger . MIM is
just fine but when you start modifying it , you cut into the heat treated outer
shell and get closer to the untreated parts . Stock unmodified MIM works
just fine , it just does not modify as well . I want the best trigger possible ,
that is what makes a 1911 great .

Scottl
Its to bad SACS does not have those packages anymore . They were great .

1911RICH
Good luck with your choices
Old 05-24-2020, 04:05 AM

I'd do whatever turns out to having the better pistol when done.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM

I keep going back and forth and back and forth lol.one second I’m set to buy a TRP, and the next I’m filling out my order form to send it to Wilson.

So when looking at Wilson’s CQB, here is the spec list. Am I missing something? With everything I would do to the mil spec, wouldn’t it be essentially the same gun but for $1000 less?
Full-Size Carbon Steel Frame
30 LPI High Cut Checkered Frontstrap
High-Ride Bullet Proofģ Beavertail Grip Safety
Ambidextrous Bullet Proofģ Thumb Safety
3 Ĺ# - 4 Ĺ# Crisp Trigger Pull
Contoured Magazine Well
G10 Starburst Grips
5" Carbon Steel Slide
Battlesight with Fiber Optic Front Sight
5" Stainless Match Grade Barrel & Bushing, Hand Fit

As mentioned before, I don’t plan to sell this gun regardless of what happens. I’m not a 1911 “purist” so it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to mess with the original styling. I’m looking for the best deal for my money. Yes a TRP would cost a couple hundred less, but wouldn’t the build make it better than it—quality, fit, and parts?

I’m sure the TRP is more than enough for me, but is the extra 500 bucks worth the build....ugh.