Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Happy birthday Carlos Hathcock!

RIP brave soldier RIP.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:41 PM

Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock

As a sniper in Viet Nam, Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills, but at the time, an officer had to witness the shot to be "confirmed." Hathcock estimated he shot and killed somewhere between 300-400 PAVN (Peoples Army of Viet Nam) and Viet Cong.

The book One Shot, One Kill was an excellent read about the life of Carlos Hathcock. He died of complications from multiple sclerosis at the age of 56 on Feb. 23, 1999. He is still a legend in the Marine Corp.....!
Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 PM

He wrote his own book. The white feather as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
As a sniper in Viet Nam, Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills, but at the time, an officer had to witness the shot to be "confirmed." Hathcock estimated he shot and killed somewhere between 300-400 PAVN (Peoples Army of Viet Nam) and Viet Cong.

The book One Shot, One Kill was an excellent read about the life of Carlos Hathcock. He died of complications from multiple sclerosis at the age of 56 on Feb. 23, 1999. He is still a legend in the Marine Corp.....!
It was much better than the one shot one kill book that was written by someone else as I recall. Anyway you look at him. A true hero by any measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM

I just saw a part of the program today that dramatized his long shot kill using a Ma Duece and a 8 power Unertl scope. Held the record for 30 yrs.
Was it a half a mile ? Or 1200 yards ? I got distracted during the " Triggers show".

At any rate he was truly a tough Hombre , a sniper extraordinaire, a man whom I truly respect.
RIP GUNNY.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM

An exceptional Marine. I recall in the book Marine Sniper about him how they were wasting snipers at various camps and outpost. Doing things like putting them on S*$t barrel burn detail and other things. Hathcock got things going and showed them how to use them effectively.

He grew up hunting and shooting. IIRC he had an old Mauser he used. This is what produced men who stood for their country and who endured and showed tough. Sadly, we were once considered a nation of riflemen. It was encouraged by the government itself for the benefits to the welfare of the nation.

Happy Birthday, White Feather!

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 PM

Marine Sniper, an excellent book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
An exceptional Marine. I recall in the book Marine Sniper about him how they were wasting snipers at various camps and outpost. Doing things like putting them on S*$t barrel burn detail and other things. Hathcock got things going and showed them how to use them effectively.

He grew up hunting and shooting. IIRC he had an old Mauser he used. This is what produced men who stood for their country and who endured and showed tough. Sadly, we were once considered a nation of riflemen. It was encouraged by the government itself for the benefits to the welfare of the nation.

Happy Birthday, White Feather!
I am thinking that this was likely the book I referred to as. The white feather. It must be early onset Alzheimer's. Anyway a true hero by any measure. Would that we should be half so great.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 AM

An American hero and a legend to be remembered. Happy Birthday Marine.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:37 AM

Ooh-Rah!!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:17 AM

Carlos Hathcock....

As a civilian, Carlos won the long distance (1,000 yards) High Power rifle "Wimbledon Cup" at Camp Perry in 1965.... He was approached by the Marine Corp to join with the goal of becoming a marine sniper.... That was an unfortunate day for the PAVN/Viet Cong!!!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 AM

Not only was his shooting skills perfected but his field craft and discipline is what separated him from the other!

Last edited by RetiredRod; 05-21-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2020, 11:42 AM

I read one shot one kill, scary what he went through.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Carlos was truly a man among men
Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Happy birthday. Rest in peace.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 PM

Thank you USMM for this thread reminding us of a truly special U.S. Marine.

Perpetual thanks and gratitude to Carlos Hathcock. Salute to a true American Patriot.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 05-23-2020, 03:27 PM

Carlos was a LCpl in 1965 when he won the Wimbledon Cup 1000 yard any sight match with a score of 150-17V with a Winchester Model 70. This is according to the new book put out by the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association.

There were two books written about him. One was "Marine Sniper" and the other one is "White Feather" by LCol. Norman Chandler. I knew LCol Chandler when he was XO of the rifle team at the Nationals. He also wrote the "Death from Afar" series of books about Marine sniping. Carlos's son also was on the Marine Rifle Team years later. I never met Carlos personally, but I do know several Marines that served with him. Got an autographed copy of his book.

He sure was a guttsey guy crawling around out in the bush in VN.

Last edited by Alstep; 05-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM

RIP and thanks from a grateful American.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATPACKER View Post
I just saw a part of the program today that dramatized his long shot kill using a Ma Duece and a 8 power Unertl scope. Held the record for 30 yrs.
Was it a half a mile ? Or 1200 yards ? I got distracted during the " Triggers show".
It was 2,500 yards, or 1.42 miles. Frikkin' amazing.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 AM

I have several books on him describing his time in the USMC and his time as a sniper.

I also saw a TV show describing a mission, basically a suicide mission if you will to take-out a Viet Cong General. As he described it, he had to very carefully and quietly crawl day and night in tall grass to a selected spot without being detected. He said at night while laying in the tall grass, the Viet Cong would do their foot patrols and literally walk by him a foot away. He said he would look for any high spots in the grass to help blend in.

When he finally reached a good shooting area after 3 days of very slow crawling and slow movements, he saw what he believed was the general. How did he know this guy was the wanted general? As he said: Anyone who stands around pointing here and pointing there giving orders to others has to be the one in charge. At that point he slowly brought up his Remington 700 in 30-06, ranged the shot to be 700 yards out, placed the BDC on the chest and let one fly, dropping the general instantly and having all hell break loose. They didn't know where the shot came from, what direction or the range. The rest of his mission now was to crawl back for 3 days again without being detected.

He said he was approached as being the best of only a few that could possibly successfully complete and survive. He also said, looking back at that and all the possibilities of not completing it...yeah it was crazy.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
Carlos was a LCpl in 1965 when he won the Wimbledon Cup 1000 yard any sight match with a score of 150-17V with a Winchester Model 70. This is according to the new book put out by the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association.

There were two books written about him. One was "Marine Sniper" and the other one is "White Feather" by LCol. Norman Chandler. I knew LCol Chandler when he was XO of the rifle team at the Nationals. He also wrote the "Death from Afar" series of books about Marine sniping. Carlos's son also was on the Marine Rifle Team years later. I never met Carlos personally, but I do know several Marines that served with him. Got an autographed copy of his book.

He sure was a guttsey guy crawling around out in the bush in VN.
I have read both of those books. Really good reading! He was a fantastic shot but what really set him apart from the others was his discipline and his woodcraft.

An autographed book would be a real treasure.

And yes, he was a gutsy guy! Very gutsy.

I want to say that he was an Arkansas boy. Not that it matters much, every state has had its share of brave men.

I also want to say that one of his kills was shooting another sniper in the head through his scope. Something thats been copied in a lot of other movies.

RIP Gunny
Old 05-24-2020, 01:31 PM

Truly an American Hero!!! RIP!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 AM

Good he was on our side. But all snipers are hardly addressed nor give credit, rifles ofvthe white death. Finnish sniper holds the record for 500 kills, read, he didn’t use a scope.
https://www.damnintexesting.com/white-death/

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 AM

As I have heard the tale, In one of the saddest episodes of US military history the Corp dismissed him as unfit for duty a month or so before he could retire with a pension and medical benefits.

He should have been retired on full disability and with honors years before.

RIP Carlos.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; 05-31-2020 at 01:52 AM.