Happy birthday Carlos Hathcock! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM
USMM guy USMM guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 22,247
Happy birthday Carlos Hathcock!

RIP brave soldier RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:41 PM
Rwehavinfunyet Rwehavinfunyet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,938
Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock

As a sniper in Viet Nam, Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills, but at the time, an officer had to witness the shot to be "confirmed." Hathcock estimated he shot and killed somewhere between 300-400 PAVN (Peoples Army of Viet Nam) and Viet Cong.

The book One Shot, One Kill was an excellent read about the life of Carlos Hathcock. He died of complications from multiple sclerosis at the age of 56 on Feb. 23, 1999. He is still a legend in the Marine Corp.....!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 PM
USMM guy USMM guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 22,247
He wrote his own book. The white feather as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
As a sniper in Viet Nam, Hathcock had 93 confirmed kills, but at the time, an officer had to witness the shot to be "confirmed." Hathcock estimated he shot and killed somewhere between 300-400 PAVN (Peoples Army of Viet Nam) and Viet Cong.

The book One Shot, One Kill was an excellent read about the life of Carlos Hathcock. He died of complications from multiple sclerosis at the age of 56 on Feb. 23, 1999. He is still a legend in the Marine Corp.....!
It was much better than the one shot one kill book that was written by someone else as I recall. Anyway you look at him. A true hero by any measure.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:02 PM
RATPACKER RATPACKER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South of 3 Rivers ( Pistolburgh,Taxylvania))
Posts: 45
I just saw a part of the program today that dramatized his long shot kill using a Ma Duece and a 8 power Unertl scope. Held the record for 30 yrs.
Was it a half a mile ? Or 1200 yards ? I got distracted during the " Triggers show".

At any rate he was truly a tough Hombre , a sniper extraordinaire, a man whom I truly respect.
RIP GUNNY.
__________________
My Rifle, my Pony, and Me... 8" Nickle Python; original & Hogue Grips.. Series 80 Colt Gold Cup ..National Match /SIG P227 / FNH. SCAR 17s black``with.. 14 mags./ KDF (Voere Titan) in .270 Win./
Custom 1909 Argentine Mauser ...30.06
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM
Amos Iron Wolf Amos Iron Wolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Del Rio, Texas
Age: 63
Posts: 8,142
An exceptional Marine. I recall in the book Marine Sniper about him how they were wasting snipers at various camps and outpost. Doing things like putting them on S*$t barrel burn detail and other things. Hathcock got things going and showed them how to use them effectively.

He grew up hunting and shooting. IIRC he had an old Mauser he used. This is what produced men who stood for their country and who endured and showed tough. Sadly, we were once considered a nation of riflemen. It was encouraged by the government itself for the benefits to the welfare of the nation.

Happy Birthday, White Feather!
__________________
"I wish I was stupid enough to be optimistic." Unknown

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:57 PM
USMM guy USMM guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 22,247
Marine Sniper, an excellent book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
An exceptional Marine. I recall in the book Marine Sniper about him how they were wasting snipers at various camps and outpost. Doing things like putting them on S*$t barrel burn detail and other things. Hathcock got things going and showed them how to use them effectively.

He grew up hunting and shooting. IIRC he had an old Mauser he used. This is what produced men who stood for their country and who endured and showed tough. Sadly, we were once considered a nation of riflemen. It was encouraged by the government itself for the benefits to the welfare of the nation.

Happy Birthday, White Feather!
I am thinking that this was likely the book I referred to as. The white feather. It must be early onset Alzheimer's. Anyway a true hero by any measure. Would that we should be half so great.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 AM
SC shooter SC shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: In the pines
Age: 60
Posts: 1,385
An American hero and a legend to be remembered. Happy Birthday Marine.
__________________
I am a proud to be a member of the NRA, GOA, FPC and The 2nd Amendment Foundation
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:37 AM
Flight Medic's Avatar
Flight Medic Flight Medic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,713
Ooh-Rah!!
__________________
SAVE OUR COUNTRY - VOTE TRUMP 2020
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2020, 06:17 AM
Rwehavinfunyet Rwehavinfunyet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,938
Carlos Hathcock....

As a civilian, Carlos won the long distance (1,000 yards) High Power rifle "Wimbledon Cup" at Camp Perry in 1965.... He was approached by the Marine Corp to join with the goal of becoming a marine sniper.... That was an unfortunate day for the PAVN/Viet Cong!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 AM
sat sat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 323
Not only was his shooting skills perfected but his field craft and discipline is what separated him from the other!
__________________
A gun is no more dangerous than a bat in the hands of a madman.

Last edited by RetiredRod; 05-21-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Frank Vaccaro Frank Vaccaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S.W. Montana
Posts: 1,370
I read one shot one kill, scary what he went through.
__________________
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 PM
PBag PBag is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 260
Carlos was truly a man among men
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 PM
FNISHR FNISHR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Johnson City, Tennessee
Posts: 2,849
Happy birthday. Rest in peace.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:27 PM
chrysanthemum chrysanthemum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 11,708
Thank you USMM for this thread reminding us of a truly special U.S. Marine.

Perpetual thanks and gratitude to Carlos Hathcock. Salute to a true American Patriot.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2020, 03:27 PM
Alstep Alstep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 38
Carlos was a LCpl in 1965 when he won the Wimbledon Cup 1000 yard any sight match with a score of 150-17V with a Winchester Model 70. This is according to the new book put out by the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association.

There were two books written about him. One was "Marine Sniper" and the other one is "White Feather" by LCol. Norman Chandler. I knew LCol Chandler when he was XO of the rifle team at the Nationals. He also wrote the "Death from Afar" series of books about Marine sniping. Carlos's son also was on the Marine Rifle Team years later. I never met Carlos personally, but I do know several Marines that served with him. Got an autographed copy of his book.

He sure was a guttsey guy crawling around out in the bush in VN.

Last edited by Alstep; 05-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM
ope135's Avatar
ope135 ope135 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,466
RIP and thanks from a grateful American.
__________________
Chance favors the prepared mind.
NRA Benefactor Member
USAR - Ordnance Corps
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 PM
Old Fart Old Fart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: western NC
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATPACKER View Post
I just saw a part of the program today that dramatized his long shot kill using a Ma Duece and a 8 power Unertl scope. Held the record for 30 yrs.
Was it a half a mile ? Or 1200 yards ? I got distracted during the " Triggers show".
It was 2,500 yards, or 1.42 miles. Frikkin' amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 AM
7in1911 7in1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Washington (Not Seattle)
Posts: 3,587
I have several books on him describing his time in the USMC and his time as a sniper.

I also saw a TV show describing a mission, basically a suicide mission if you will to take-out a Viet Cong General. As he described it, he had to very carefully and quietly crawl day and night in tall grass to a selected spot without being detected. He said at night while laying in the tall grass, the Viet Cong would do their foot patrols and literally walk by him a foot away. He said he would look for any high spots in the grass to help blend in.

When he finally reached a good shooting area after 3 days of very slow crawling and slow movements, he saw what he believed was the general. How did he know this guy was the wanted general? As he said: Anyone who stands around pointing here and pointing there giving orders to others has to be the one in charge. At that point he slowly brought up his Remington 700 in 30-06, ranged the shot to be 700 yards out, placed the BDC on the chest and let one fly, dropping the general instantly and having all hell break loose. They didn't know where the shot came from, what direction or the range. The rest of his mission now was to crawl back for 3 days again without being detected.

He said he was approached as being the best of only a few that could possibly successfully complete and survive. He also said, looking back at that and all the possibilities of not completing it...yeah it was crazy.
__________________
7in1911
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM
lightman lightman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England Ar
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
Carlos was a LCpl in 1965 when he won the Wimbledon Cup 1000 yard any sight match with a score of 150-17V with a Winchester Model 70. This is according to the new book put out by the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association.

There were two books written about him. One was "Marine Sniper" and the other one is "White Feather" by LCol. Norman Chandler. I knew LCol Chandler when he was XO of the rifle team at the Nationals. He also wrote the "Death from Afar" series of books about Marine sniping. Carlos's son also was on the Marine Rifle Team years later. I never met Carlos personally, but I do know several Marines that served with him. Got an autographed copy of his book.

He sure was a guttsey guy crawling around out in the bush in VN.
I have read both of those books. Really good reading! He was a fantastic shot but what really set him apart from the others was his discipline and his woodcraft.

An autographed book would be a real treasure.

And yes, he was a gutsy guy! Very gutsy.

I want to say that he was an Arkansas boy. Not that it matters much, every state has had its share of brave men.

I also want to say that one of his kills was shooting another sniper in the head through his scope. Something thats been copied in a lot of other movies.

RIP Gunny
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-24-2020, 01:31 PM
facilitator facilitator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,651
Truly an American Hero!!! RIP!!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 AM
1911crazy 1911crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 4,563
Good he was on our side. But all snipers are hardly addressed nor give credit, rifles ofvthe white death. Finnish sniper holds the record for 500 kills, read, he didn’t use a scope.
https://www.damnintexesting.com/white-death/
__________________
Ask yourself is what i'm about to do SAFE???? (From the national timber fellers association)

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 AM
1MoreFord 1MoreFord is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 340
As I have heard the tale, In one of the saddest episodes of US military history the Corp dismissed him as unfit for duty a month or so before he could retire with a pension and medical benefits.

He should have been retired on full disability and with honors years before.

RIP Carlos.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; 05-31-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved