Robbing Peter to pay paul - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Robbing Peter to pay paul

I have been setting some funds aside to have my first gen delta elite sent off for a major overhaul/custom build. Then along comes a friend and collector with an offer to sell me a 1961 (mk1)NM colt mid range in 38 special. Absolutely stunning condition with lots of extras, only one small flaw as it has a mkiii barrel installed. This was a very popular upgrade for the mk1s. So now the question is do I drain my fund to buy the NM or continue with the plans to build the delta. I've been kicking this around for a few days and time has come to make a decision. The mid range guns don't pop up in this condition very often but it isn't very useful for anything but range fun. Maybe you guys can offer perspective.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Administrator

If you want it, get it. You may not find another one as easily. The Delta will always be there and you can customize it later in the future.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 PM

I agree with dsk--------- You can "back burner" the Delta, but the '61 is a fleeting option that will soon be gone.

Grab it while you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM

My gun show buddy and I have one rule, if you see something you like grab it because it won't be there when you come back.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:46 PM

I think you should get it too. A super accurate .38 special is a lot of fun!

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 05-17-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:10 PM

I think you folks are instigators,Ha! I have another early colt with the 38 amu Top end on it. This guy has a few of the mid range guns and is selling to fund another purchase. I think y'all are correct. I don't see these guns as often as I once did and think it needs to come home with me. My AMU gun is built on a 50s government frame and besides having to handload for it is a HOOT to shoot. I think I'm all in on this one.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Me personally would rather get the process started on the custom build. I think it is easy to end up with a safe full of nice Colts, but a custom 1911 is something you will cherish forever. I believe more is not better... prefer quality.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM

I have a very nice custom built by Dave Erikson a good many years ago. It's still in top shape after nearly 15k Rounds through it. I just have the craving for a 10mm custom. I can't get any of a number of well known smiths to return a call at this point. I guess everything happens for a reason. Had any of them returned my call, I would have likely already sent this one off with a deposit in tow. As it is, looks like I'll be going to pick up the NM in a day or so.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:05 PM

My Mom always said that Robbing Peter to Pay Paul creates a problem.

Sooner or later, Paul still wants paid, and Peter wants paid back.

If you can't pay Peter back, it makes him sore.

And son, she'd say "It ain't no fun having a sore Peter."

If you want to buy the pistol you can over the custom build you weren't quite ready for, buy it and then start putting money back for the Custom Build.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:34 PM

It's possible that the Mk III barrel is factory.

Some claim that the frames weren't utilized in sequence to build pistols and a frame with a early serial number can be correct and factory original with the later revision barrel.

Don't know personally.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 AM

I have one of these mid-range .38's, 1965 vintage; they are a lot of fun. You'll need to reload, since .38 Sp wadcutter ammo can get pretty spendy.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Maybe it's a location thing. My local supplier carries it for 18.00 a box of 50. It's one of the cheapest things on the shelf besides .22.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handforged View Post
Maybe it's a location thing. My local supplier carries it for 18.00 a box of 50. It's one of the cheapest things on the shelf besides .22.
There went your last reason to not buy that NM .38!
Better grab it!😉
Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 PM

When a Midrange NM offer just falls in your lap like that, take it.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 PM
Administrator

I've lost count of the "once in a lifetime" opportunities that I let get away simply because I hemmed and hawed too long. By contrast I've impulsively pulled the trigger on one a few times, thinking if I changed my mind I could always turn around and sell it, and to date I can't think of a single one I've done that with. If you want it and the bills are paid for the month then make your move.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I've lost count of the "once in a lifetime" opportunities that I let get away simply because I hemmed and hawed too long. By contrast I've impulsively pulled the trigger on one a few times, thinking if I changed my mind I could always turn around and sell it, and to date I can't think of a single one I've done that with. If you want it and the bills are paid for the month then make your move.
Wait...you pay your bills FIRST?? Damn, that's what I've been doing wrong!

OP - I'd buy the National Match...sounds like a rare bird. The Delta build will always be there for down-the-road funds.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:58 AM

Gun collectors....

Yes, the 1961 NM .38 special is a rare find, and would be a worthy addition for any gun collector.....

I am lucky I am a competitive shooter and not a gun collector..... I would be in financial trouble if I started collecting.....and I would have to buy and install a vault instead of using my 600 lb. gun safe...!!!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:39 PM

You can do a custom Delta any day of any week of any year.

If you pass on the mid range 38.....you've officially lost your mind.

Seriously.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Wait...you pay your bills FIRST?? Damn, that's what I've been doing wrong!
I know it sounds like a joke, but there are guys out there with serious priority issues. I used to have a neighbor who was a real douchebag and spent tons of money souping up his huge diesel pickup truck, but come last Christmas his two little kids received no presents because apparently he was too broke. I never saw him play with those kids either. A few months ago the family moved out because apparently the rent became more than they could pay, yet a week after leaving he came back to the house to pick up a huge box from UPS that had been delivered there. I can probably assume there weren't any kid's toys inside.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Drive through the parking lot of any trashy apartment building and look at all the new cars & trucks parked there.

Those people could OWN a HOUSE. But they refuse to drive an '89 Corolla. So both Mom & Dad make New Car payments, at New Car interest, & buy New Car insurance,

All this to avoid paying for, & dealing with, the occasional alternator or timing belt. It's insane.

And NO. NOBODY thinks you are a New Camaro Z28 -Driving Success Story when you live in a building with graffiti on it, next to a liquor store.

-------------These folks should drive paid-for crappy cars & invest in their future.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM

Hey op did you get it?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Drive through the parking lot of any trashy apartment building and look at all the new cars & trucks parked there.

Those people could OWN a HOUSE. But they refuse to drive an '89 Corolla. So both Mom & Dad make New Car payments, at New Car interest, & buy New Car insurance,

All this to avoid paying for, & dealing with, the occasional alternator or timing belt. It's insane.

And NO. NOBODY thinks you are a New Camaro Z28 -Driving Success Story when you live in a building with graffiti on it, next to a liquor store.

-------------These folks should drive paid-for crappy cars & invest in their future.
All true. Wife and I drove used cars our entire working careers and saved money like we were mad crazy.

Retired at 55....I drive whatever I feel like driving and shoot whatever I feel like shooting.

But I gotta drive a few miles to get to the liquor store......
Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM

TRSOtto---------Yes, we did the same thing. Between my wife & I we have never had a new car. Never paid interest on a car either. And insurance has been cheap on them as well.

My wife retired at 49 & I did so at 50. This was, in so small part, because of the cars.

I can't fathom the idea of busting my butt at some job, for an additional 5-10 YEARS, just so I can drive there in a series of shiny new cars & trucks.

Sitting in the dark at 0600, waiting for the heater to kick in, & listening to the Traffic Report, for over a THOUSAND more days?

For what? To save myself the cost & hassle of a few waterpumps & starters?

Hell no. Now I could easily afford any number of guns. But years of being a cheap guy has made me less than thrilled with that idea.

Funny how that works.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
But I gotta drive a few miles to get to the liquor store......
Ever notice how it takes at least three times as long to return from the liquor store? The difference is staggering...
Old 05-25-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatman View Post
Hey op did you get it?
Picked the National Match up today!!! I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you folks. I can say the Midrange in in better condition that I thought it was. Seller included 5 COLT MAGS (for those that don't know they are gold essentially) 15 boxes of winchester and speer factory loads. I feel like I made out like a bandit. Dropped by a friend's place who is a serious colt collector for an opinion on condition. His guess was 90-93% with an immediate offer to buy it. That's how you know you did good....

PICS IN THE DAYLIGHT.