Cell phones...the demise of private information - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-11-2020, 10:46 AM

Cell phones...the demise of private information

Just happened upon this story of the recent Michigan capitol protest. My mother had told me around 200 of the protesters had gotten Covid-19 by attending, to which my reply was, "How did anyone prove that?"

Well, I didn't find any facts on anyone getting Covid-19 at the protest, but apparently, someone is tracking where certain protesters went after the protest.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...ng-coronavirus

Cell phones are wonderful little devices. I've always said they should cost lots more for all the things they do for us that used to require multiple other devices (camera, audio recorder, calculator, compass, etc.). However, those little things are tracking EVERYTHING you do, write, or browse.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:14 AM

This tracking ability was mandated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
Cell phones are wonderful little devices. I've always said they should cost lots more for all the things they do for us that used to require multiple other devices (camera, audio recorder, calculator, compass, etc.). However, those little things are tracking EVERYTHING you do, write, or browse.
In the 1996 Telecommunications act. Signed into law by, yep you guessed it Bill Clinton.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:30 PM

Yes,
When you want to go and protest, you need a throw down. A jitterbug or an ancient flip phone would work! Just toss it in a random bus and they will think you went to Omaha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2020, 04:39 PM

No, I'm sorry, but the people in this were not tracked by the ISP, or Apple or Google.

About 200 of them had registed with votemap, some kind of political campain tracking app.

If we're to shine a light on the filth, shine it properly!

"My mother had told me around 200 of the protesters had gotten Covid-19 by attending"

No, 200 people there had their phones signed up with an app that tracks them for political purposes.

From the article: "The data was collected by a firm called VoteMap, which showed more than 300 opted-in devices gathered at Lansing on April 15, representing a sample of those who were at the protest. The firm collected the data using geo-location data from hundreds of other downloaded apps, which the users agreed to share when they approved the terms of service"

Read between the lines. I BET YOU Facebook was involved.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 05-11-2020, 05:11 PM

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-tracking-app/

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...us-compliance/
Old 05-11-2020, 05:14 PM

Coronavirus Phone Tracking Now Impacts Us All—And This Is Just The Start

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff...t-is-critical/
Old 05-11-2020, 05:22 PM

I need to stop reading all this. It's literally the world George Orwell warned against us, being built, right now...

...and we're not stopping it.

It's not a political party thing, this one. They're all in it.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:59 PM

Skynet
Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
I BET YOU Facebook was involved.
An app to collect protesters data? Then links the info directly with social media? Propaganda manufacturing via Facebook. No way
Old 05-11-2020, 08:32 PM

It is all controllable on your phone.
But you do need to do a little digging.

And, when in doubt,
turn the f*ckin' thing off.
Then it's just a paperweight until it's turned back on.

Ian
Old 05-11-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAW View Post
An app to collect protesters data? Then links the info directly with social media? Propaganda manufacturing via Facebook. No way
Not how it works. And VoteMap isn'ta a "protest" app. It's a political app.

Probably has a "log in with Facebookr / Twitter / Google" button. Do that, and now whomever of those 3 you picked can track your phone while you use the seemingly-benign "VoteMap"

Never, ever but *EVER* use the Facebook / Twitter/ Google login buttons.

And if you do have a facebook or twitter acount.. burn it.

The fact that "Votemap" appears to be a location data aggregation firm and I can't find any real info on it bothers me. Did the newspaper quyoted by the OP make a mistake?

Are they *That* under the radar that Goog and Bing have nothing on them?

Turn the **** off, or put it in an rfid bag. And this is from someone who likes his iphone and computers as much as he likes his 1911 and M1.

These firms are working *against* us.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 PM
Administrator

I just mentioned in another thread that an MSN article this morning had a blurb revealing how the government can tell that more people are ignoring lockdown orders these days. How, do you ask? They're tracking cell phone data and can see that more people are on the move now than a month or two ago. The article itself only mentioned it in passing, but it certainly didn't go unnoticed by me. So don't tell me the government doesn't track peoples' movements. If the companies who put the software on your phone or PC are tracking your every move, your shopping habits and who you communicate with you can be certain who else has access to that information. And it's probably not just our own government... there's no reason to believe the Chinese and Russians aren't tracking the movements of American citizens everywhere as well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:09 PM

Net10 flip phone.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 05-11-2020, 09:09 PM

Yeah they have been using cell phone data for a number of years now. They can track people all over nowadays.

Heck even those home hocky puck listening devices people use to give voice commands over spy on them too. The things have to listen for the key words all the time. Police actually subpoenaed the voice records from one of the companies that made it for one of their murder investigations. Those companies record all the voice conversations. They will start sending targeted ads over the cable TV or internet based on your voice conversations.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 PM

There's no question we're being tracked.

The real question is: Does the Government know that iPhone 3044448XB221AZOMG is registered to Old Grey Hare?

Apple knows. Maybe Google too.

And they can be compelled to tell the Gov't. Sure, you see pieces in the media saying it cant' or isn't be done...

But one State of Emergency, and all that falls down.

Folks, it may be time to get Arduino-based Engima machines, and learn how to use them, and how to make codebooks.

Nothing is safe anymore. Snowden, despite being a traitorous coward, showed us that.

A friend and I? I make a yearly engima codebook (3-rotor, Wehrmacht) every year, and I send it to him. From time to time, christmas, birthdays, v-e day, that kinda thing, we swap Engima messages via post card, right in the open.

It isn't paranoia, if they *are* looking for you....

We really do need to think about opsec and commsec, as a whole.
Attached Thumbnails
5-11-2020 10-59-52 PM.png  

Last edited by Old Grey Hare; 05-11-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added image of an actual engima codebook i made
Old 05-12-2020, 04:53 AM

In the stories of spies and government
wrong doing, tracking chips are secretly
placed under the skin of a subject, a
Jason Bourne comes to mind.

Now, people are happily willing to carry
a chip on them at all times and that
chip is as big as an IPhone.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:30 AM

A couple points to think about...
1) Let’s not be so sure that turning the phone off is the end of it. Lithium batts have a very slow “shelf” discharge rate, and yet if you forget to plug your phone in, you will see a noticeable decline in the percentage over night. My lithium power tool batts can sit for six months without a charge. Just sayin’, don’t count out the possibility.
2) Some people are under the misconception that simply turning your location services off is enough. I don’t buy that either.
3) Assuming that powering the phone off works. Cranking it back up at any point on your journey negates the purpose. It has now left a footprint by hitting a cell tower. You have been discovered.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 AM

Anyone who believes they have any level of privacy at all while carrying or using an internet capable device is a fool. If you want "privacy" carry a prehistoric non-gps stupid phone, for emergencies only, like calling 911, and leave it powered OFF when not in use. If you are so important people have to be able to get in touch with you carry an old-school one way pager. They can page you, you can power up and call them back. Don't knock it. It works.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:23 AM

I will have to look in the attic and see if I have my old brick phone.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:18 AM

They stopped allowing analog phones to be activated back around 2004-5. Same with phones that are not GPS enabled, maybe a year later(?) You can turn off location services, sort of. But not totally. Now Verizon will not even allow you to activate an 'old' 3g phone.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM

For further information.

I would suggest that all take the time to read Permanent record by Edward Snowden.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:04 PM

I will have to see what T-Moblies policy is on this topic.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
They stopped allowing analog phones to be activated back around 2004-5. Same with phones that are not GPS enabled, maybe a year later(?) You can turn off location services, sort of. But not totally. Now Verizon will not even allow you to activate an 'old' 3g phone.
I was able to adapt a new SIM from my backup IPhone 6 plus into the SIM of my iPhone 3 for ****s and gigs. Sent and received calls/txts.

The older SIM is much larger but the profile of the actual chip is the same.

Used an exacto knife to cut the old chip out and placed the new one in its place. Taped across the backside and it went right in.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:49 PM

I'm not following this whole thread, but a lot of Covid tracking is pretty simple.

When someone tests positive they are asked where they have been recently & who they have been in contact with.

Hence, things like the Choir practice in WA where two are dead & 45 infected from one practice session.

Or the one house party in Connecticut that made Westport into a Ground Zero from one guy infecting 20 people.

As far as I know, interviewers made the link.

Now the deal in South Korea where one dude visited five clubs in one night, infecting 80 people, I think that one was helped by phone records.

Side note on this. Seasonal Flu does not transmit at rates like this.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Its really about, "if you own a current model of phone, your whereabouts are known". Or, at least they can be discovered at a moments notice if big brother wants the info. Personally, Im not the droid they are looking for, but that's not the point. The point is the control. Even in China, you are given a phone number that stays with you until you die. I would imagine that they pretty much shoot you if you do not have your phone on your person and it is turned on. Best tracking tool they have for rats in a maze.

As far as your scenario on the Covid tracking.....no doubt, just ask the guy where he has been...