1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 03:57 PM

Somewhat Anti sister is coming to borrow one

My somewhat Left-Of-Center Leaning sister is coming to borrow a gun tomorrow.

She's no hardcore BernieGirl, but she has been Gun Indifferent / slightly Anti for quite awhile. Meaning she would support some measures that most guys here would not.

But her remote house has her feeling vulnerable in current times.

I don't think this will shift her politics but she sure has realized that the "anyone can buy a gun anytime" stuff she has heard is baloney.

And NO, I'm not going to take a "sorry, you made your bed, you can die" stance with family.

I just thought it was a poignant turn of events.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:06 PM

I hope you gave her safety instructions as well as some range time.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:23 PM

Neither. She lives in Carmel Valley Ca. She has a "Good 'Ol Boy" neighbor who will show her adult son & her husband the ropes.

She will not be wield the weapon herself. It will be a long arm. Not sure which one yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2020, 04:25 PM

Flintlock or percussion musket?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:35 PM

Well at least she has acknowledged that she and her family just might need to have a gun around for protection. That is a start in the right direction. I hope that she never actually needs the gun but I hope that having one makes her feel safer. What type of weapon are you thinking of loaning that would be a good fit for the situation. I would never turn down family in need and that is one reason why I try to keep extra just for this kind of situation.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Woah now it might be a pinfire or rimfire Henry lol
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-21-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Dang, you beat me to it!
Magman doesn't like new stuff..
Old 04-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Dang, you beat me to it!
Magman doesn't like new stuff..
He may have a lemon squeezer laying around.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:48 PM

It's always possible she'll now see the value in owning firearms and change the way she votes.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

And NO, I'm not going to take a "sorry, you made your bed, you can die" stance with family.

You might want to re-examine that decision, especially in the state of California.

"Loaning" someone a gun is bad business, no matter what their level of firearm's knowledge or competence is.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:57 PM

Is it impossible to buy a Mossberg in CA right now?
I would definitely want my firearm back the minute she can buy her own.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:

She's no hardcore BernieGirl, but she has been Gun Indifferent / slightly Anti for quite awhile. Meaning she would support some measures that most guys here would not.

I don't think this will shift her politics but she sure has realized that the "anyone can buy a gun anytime" stuff she has heard is baloney.

It reminds me of the story sent out by the NRA-ILA:

Old 04-21-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Neither. She lives in Carmel Valley Ca. She has a "Good 'Ol Boy" neighbor who will show her adult son & her husband the ropes.

She will not be wield the weapon herself. It will be a long arm. Not sure which one yet.
Well, as a Californian she can't borrow a gun, and it's better for society if she is in jail.

She can only have in her address what is registered to a resident of said address.

The borrow loop hole was closed.

She'll just have to legally wait in line for the gun stores to open again, and you guys can do the transfer legally.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:13 PM

That and Polymerman's post about the pissed libs that realize how stupid they have made things.
Now, they are going to crap themselves when they learn they have to take a piss test, strip search, and background check to buy ammo to feed the thing!!
Old 04-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

First steps in mind-set - always a good thing, even if at first they want someone else close to them to do the protecting. That she has realized she and her close ones are "vulnerable" is a good thing. Life IS vulnerability! There is no such thing as "no risk", and that she has begun to realize that is a good thing. Who knows what will happen to her mind-set in the next few years (as well as many others like her); wonders never cease.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-21-2020, 05:36 PM

ta da.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately, legal or not loaning a firearm to another person is a potential liability. I would loan a gun to my own mother, but nobody else. I could defend the decision to let an old woman living alone have one of my guns, but not anybody else who should be taking care of their own defensive needs and taking responsibility for anything that happens. If your sis kills anyone with it and it's not a clean shoot the dead man's family could come back at you for providing her with a gun that wasn't legally hers.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Maybe she also saw the Chineese subs off the coast and got scared.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:59 PM

Have you told her that she needs to get a Firearm Safety Certificate before she picks up the gun? That is a requirement of the law in CA when a firearm is loaned to someone.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
... If your sis kills anyone with it and it's not a clean shoot the dead man's family could come back at you for providing her with a gun that wasn't legally hers.
... and that is where gun owner prepaid legal service comes in.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:45 PM

I would sell or give my sister a firearm, but I would not loan one to anyone.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
ta da.

Love the cartoon. +1911

If there were another line, I'll guess it would go something like this:

"But 'President' Obama said I could".

(These folks still think/wish that Obama is President)

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-21-2020, 09:30 PM

Since you are in California, that is illegal to loan someone a gun. Don't do it as it is a felony and you would really go to prison for it. They would let criminals run free but throw the book at you.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:33 PM

Not sure Mag man.

But I am guessing that just loaning a gun to someone where you live, just like that. That it is likely illegal, at least not without a background check. Regardless, you might want to make this a teaching moment. I know that I certainly would. Good luck to all in the golden state.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Well, as a Californian she can't borrow a gun, and it's better for society if she is in jail.

She can only have in her address what is registered to a resident of said address.

The borrow loop hole was closed.

She'll just have to legally wait in line for the gun stores to open again, and you guys can do the transfer legally.
And, doesn't California have a 10 day waiting period?
Closed Thread