1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Canadian mass shooting leaves one officer, 15 others dead

Just when I was thinking how refreshing it was that we haven't seen a mass shooting virtually all year... then some nut goes unhinged in Canada, posing as a cop and shooting people in their homes. I guess even stricter gun laws are sure to follow, courtesy of cross-dressing Trudeau.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...q7P?li=BBnb7Kz
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:59 PM

But wait, I thought that they had a five round magazine restriction there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just when I was thinking how refreshing it was that we haven't seen a mass shooting virtually all year... then some nut goes unhinged in Canada, posing as a cop and shooting people in their homes. I guess even stricter gun laws are sure to follow, courtesy of cross-dressing Trudeau.

I guess that I was mistaken.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:15 AM

Canada should just ban police and that will never happen again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 05:38 AM

Count is up to 16 now. May go higher as the investigation continues over the 30 mile area in which the shootings occurred. Jeeze...........

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 04-20-2020, 06:44 AM

Gun control obviously works well in Canada.... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 04-20-2020, 07:32 AM

My first question would be was this guy taking anti depressants? For how many years?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
...some nut goes unhinged in Canada, posing as a cop and shooting people in their homes....
That's impossible. Private gun ownership is forbidden in Canada!
Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM
1911 Aficionado

They have some strange laws in the Great White North.
"Rifle" magazines and "Pistol" magazines are treated differently, so a mag that fits both can be a "high cap" in one and "standard" in the other.
Mag capacity is based on the caliber of the mag, so if you can stuff twelve rounds of 9mm in a 10rnd .40 mag, you're legal, even if exceeding the limit for 9.
If you have an old, obsolete gun, different laws apply; my Canuck buddy couldn't carry his Ruger .357, but he can carry his old Colt New Army, because it's chambered for an out-of-print cartridge.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 AM

It is sad any time something like this happens and innocent people lose their life so senselessly. My sympathy for the families involved.

I did have a conversation the other day with my daughter wondering how the media might try to blame the corona virus for a mass shooting. I would not be surprised to hear that the imposed isolation drove the shooter to do what he did. The article is already mentioning the virus.

“Leather said they would investigate whether the attack had anything to do with the coronavirus pandemic but no link has been found thus far.”

There are so many things to blame except the man responsible, it is truly sad.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texagun View Post

Trump's fault in 3... 2... 1...
Old 04-20-2020, 11:32 AM
Administrator

With all the licensing and restrictions in Canada this nut still managed to do what he did. It just shows that gun laws will never be strict enough to stop things like this unless you flat out ban ownership of ALL firearms like they do in China and Japan. And yes, that's what the anti-gunners here in North America dream of doing someday.

And of course in China mass stabbings/slashings are just as much of a problem there as mass shootings are here...
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
And of course in China mass stabbings/slashings are just as much of a problem there as mass shootings are here...
But at least here they can roll down main street with a tank and remind them what guns are all about.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Well, we have had several mass shootings when you consider the initial shooting of several victims was at a residence. We have had a bunch of those this year, but typically we don't consider such shootings in the mass shootings tally because they are not public. Then after that, he shot people in other homes and even pulled over people with this fake police car and shot them.

For example, 6 people shot at a party in California...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/us/ba...ome/index.html

5 people shot at a birthday party in Philly...
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...lphia/2346748/

6 people shot outside a party in Chicago...
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/03...-neighborhood/

4 people shot
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-f...ry?id=68557405
Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 PM

The homicide rate in Canada is about 1/3 that of the US.

Whether by guns, knives, clubs, poison or trained vampire bats.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:05 PM

Excellent observations. I feel terrible for the communities devastated in this stupidity. The death of the Gravel Road Cop is horrid as well.

An amusingly-named website is dedicated to “Illustrating Chicago Values”. COVID has been very kind to Chicago and has been driving their mass shootings down... still worth a comparison - https://heyjackass.com/2020-multi-victim-shootings/
Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
With all the licensing and restrictions in Canada this nut still managed to do what he did. It just shows that gun laws will never be strict enough to stop things like this unless you flat out ban ownership of ALL firearms like they do in China and Japan. And yes, that's what the anti-gunners here in North America dream of doing someday.

Agree - America has shown that 'probation' works - just ask Capone

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 04-20-2020, 07:25 PM

I've always been annoyed with people speaking about "ending" a problem. From hunger, to violence to homelessness to whatever.

We can LESSEN these & other issues. But END them? No. As long as there have been humans there has been bad behavior.

Heck, in the animal world too!

Now Canada DOES have a lower homicide rate than the US. But they haven't eradicated murder & never will.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texagun View Post
Not quite (although some would like it so.) All firerms owners must have a valid licence. Rifles & shotguns generally OK- no registration. (They tried that about 20 years ago and it was an expensive... "clusterflop". ) Handguns have had to be registered since the 1930's. When they rewrote the Firearms Act c.2000, handguns were (idiotically) divided into "restricted" and "prohibited". the latter generally applying to barrels less than about 4.15" (105mm I think) and some calibers. Beyond idiotic, but there it is. People owning "Prohib." class had to re-register them as such but could buy & sell with others with the same licence- but no new purchases. And no CCW of course!

Oddly, some things are legit in Canada that are not in the US, such as rifles with 12" barrels, as it is based on OAL of the firearm rather than the barrel length.

It could be worse- look at the UK. But typically most of the firearms regs. in Canada only really affect/annoy the 99% of the owners who don't commit crimes. The criminals just laugh and go about their business. Sound familiar?

The recent massacre in Nova Scotia, though, is another whole other horror show entirely. Not a lot of solid details yet but it's clear the guy was a full-on psychopath who planned everything meticulously. Lots of arguments about whether CCW might have saved some lives. Possibly, but this was no ordinary shooting. And it was in a small community where likely few people would be armed even if it were allowed. Fortunately the shooter died as well, although they'll never be able to get inside his head. (Same for the two kids who went on a killing spree last summer, which started at one enof the country and ended up in a remote part of Manitoba,where they committed suicide.)

it's really slamming everyone hard- and this on top of the pandemic, too. Those folks really need our prayers.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

That's because very few of us here have any morals anymore.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

I'd like to see that recalculated, but without counting the major liberal controlled cities with strict gun laws. I bet this country would look pretty safe without them.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
It is sad any time something like this happens and innocent people lose their life so senselessly. My sympathy for the families involved.

I did have a conversation the other day with my daughter wondering how the media might try to blame the corona virus for a mass shooting. I would not be surprised to hear that the imposed isolation drove the shooter to do what he did. The article is already mentioning the virus.

“Leather said they would investigate whether the attack had anything to do with the coronavirus pandemic but no link has been found thus far.”

There are so many things to blame except the man responsible, it is truly sad.
Sounds extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with the man getting cabin fever. The man was dressed up and impersonated a policeman even with his vehicle. This sounds like it took some time, planning, and work to get the uniform and whatever accoutrements he had to make his car look like a patrol car. It should be interesting to see what his actual motive was after they finally reveal it.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INV136 View Post
Sounds extremely unlikely that this has anything to do with the man getting cabin fever. The man was dressed up and impersonated a policeman even with his vehicle. This sounds like it took some time, planning, and work to get the uniform and whatever accoutrements he had to make his car look like a patrol car. It should be interesting to see what his actual motive was after they finally reveal it.
I would totally agree it has nothing to do with the virus. The media goes way out on limbs and then jump off to try to link things and get the story they want. If they can't find facts they just make some up. I don't know that they will actually try to link this to the virus but it was mentioned in the article. The main point I wanted to make was they always blame something other than the shooter.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:43 PM

So here is a headline for today:

Justin Trudeau is pushing for stricter Canadian gun laws after deadly shooting in Nova Scotia

What else could be added to already tight-fisted laws? Complete banning/confiscation, I guess...
Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM

This nut sounds like our Vegas Shooter guy. Smart, crafty, and nuttier than a Payday Bar.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Yes, it would seem that mass shooters in their 50s and 60s appear to be more thorough in their planning than the young 20-somethings who simply pick up a rifle and look for a large crowd to shoot into.