Back door gun - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-17-2020, 04:58 PM

Back door gun

This may belong in the disaster preparedness section, but what gun have you deployed by the (back door/front door), that you hadn't before, until this craziness goes away? You know, just in case.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 PM

Whatever handgun I'm carrying that day.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:40 PM

870 with eight rounds of 00 Buck. But that's always been there.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Whatever handgun I'm carrying that day.
This.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Loaded guns are always on my person, not left near an entryway where a smart intruder might find it. If you don't consider it a big deal to go out in public while armed what's stopping you from doing so when inside your own house?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:42 PM

I typically keep SD-purposed firearms (1911s) on my person, in retreat location (that's fairly well planned as to equipment (including spare cell phone), lighting, defensive shooting position, etc.), or on nightstand (at night). In a real disaster, with a little extra warning time, heavier firearms are available...

For my circumstances, I don't keep guns near front or back door...if someone kicks down a door, I'd rather go towards my retreat location than risk moving towards the intruder, hoping/chancing to reach a gun near the door before encountering the intruder(s). A minor/peripheral reason is that, if the worst were hypothetically to occur, I wouldn't want a dead BG possibly lying on the front or back porch. I.e., I'd want things to be very clear that the thug had forcibly entered the house and was advancing towards me, clearly inside of the house, before I fired (in very clear SD).

Your house and/or other circumstances might be different. And it's your circumstances you should plan around.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-17-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:55 PM

No specific Back Door Gun. My usual carry gun is always on me & exactly like AZ Husker, an 870 with 8 rounds of 00 Buck is now kept in a central location.

It's a Police style gun. I added a rubber fore end because it's grippy---- easier for my girls to operate.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:02 PM

I live in an apartment building with a locked lobby and my aparment door is pretty sturdy.

So my Mossberg 590L, and I can get to a pistol as well.

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 04-17-2020, 09:47 PM

What ever my carry gun is that day. A Remington 870 Tactical in the closet. And a Sig 226 hidden in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2020, 11:09 PM

These days I’m carrying while in the house. Nothing by either door but we are empty nesters and have other pistols and a Winchester model 1200 riot with #4 Buck handy.
Bill Wilson Carry .45, Wilson EDCx9, Ed Brown Cobra, Nighthawk T3 & T4, Springfield TRP, Springfield LW Champion Operator, all Kimber Aegis II's, all Kimber Raptors, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson Guardian, Dan Wesson CCO, Colt Commander 70 series, Sig C3.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:17 AM

Sorry, but the Panic of 2020 has not caused me to make any changes.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Loaded guns are always on my person, not left near an entryway where a smart intruder might find it. If you don't consider it a big deal to go out in public while armed what's stopping you from doing so when inside your own house?

There is too much risk involved with leaving an unattended firearm near an entrance door or any window. That being, a homeowner increases the risk of someone making a forced entry, taking possession of the homeowners loaded weapon, and killing said homeowner with his own gun. Whenever I am in the house, my carry weapon is on my hip, or if not, in one of the 4 electronic gun storage boxes placed in various rooms. I generally have 4 firearms loaded and locked up in various rooms. I can access a gun anywhere in the house in about 5 seconds if one is not on my person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2020, 08:12 AM

Nothing new here and I don't leave loaded weapons about the house since it's possible they could be used against me or the family. I keep my EDC handy and that's all I need. No need living in fear of this.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Our back door looks out over the garden. Same gun has been there for over 20 years; an old Stevens Crackshot .22LR single shot. The front door is a different story.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
Nothing new here and I don't leave loaded weapons about the house since it's possible they could be used against me or the family. I keep my EDC handy and that's all I need. No need living in fear of this.
You mean you don't have a handgun to fight your way to your PCC, which you use to fight your way to your rifle, which you then use to fight your way to your shotgun, which is then used to fight your way to your M-60? What kind of layered protection strategy is that???

Currently I have a SIG P365 in a pocket holster that stays with me nearly all the time. In the bedroom lies a 7.5" AR pistol in .300 Blackout. If that's not enough firepower to repel boarders then I'm screwed no matter what. Leaving loaded guns everywhere is just an invite for a crafty intruder to find one of them before I find him.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.