Javelina Hunting with the 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 AM

Javelina Hunting with the 1911

I had a successful hunt yesterday, opening day for HAM (Handgun, archery, muzzleloader) javelina.

I’m significantly more accurate with my bow or muzzleloader, and contemplated stacking the deck with an AR pistol, but ultimately chose to take my Springfield TRP duty pistol. The primary factors in deciding on the TRP were (1) portability (2) self defense in southern Arizona. It was the best compromise.

I started out scouting weeks ago, without any success. I suspected I was scouting too high in elevation, but came to this conclusion too late to scout new terrain. I hoped a cold front would push them low and found a nice wide sand wash I wanted to work. This area was un-scouted for me.

The night before the hunt I set up camp near the wash. Overnight it dropped below freezing. Opening day I rode the ATV to the wash, then set out on foot. I started working the sand wash from the ridge line. This sand wash is 300 yards across with 50 foot side walls, a very big wash, BTW. While glassing I found a game trail with javelina sign along the ridge line. The sign varied between a month old and day fresh. I kept glassing the wash as I followed the trail.

Seeing no javelina sign in the wash, I decided to commit to the game trail. I followed the trail a couple miles, and eventually decided the odds favored an encounter, so I unholstered. About 20 minutes later I flushed a big javelina. It bombed out from under a creosote tree about 10 yards from me, and left a vapor trail back nearly in the direction I came from. I stood there dumbfounded, gun in hand. Note, in Arizona the terrain and game animals are very difficult to hunt, so encountering the animal you are looking for, identifying it, and quick drawing on it while it bounds away ain’t gonna happen. Critters in the wild desert are professional survivors 24/7/365. That’s why the preferred method is to spot them from a distance and stalk them.

Back to the business at hand, my adrenaline gland is still pumping, and I decide to work my way around the javelina downwind, and also to flank him against the ridge line, versus just pushing the javelina further into the desert. I figured it’s likely the javelina ran all the way to Mexico, but maybe, just maybe, the terrain is so brushy and rough, the javelina only went a couple hundred yards. So I begin working around the flank, gun at the ready this time. Full pack on, measuring each step and movement, pie-ing the damn desert like I’m clearing a room. It is exhausting.

For 30 minutes I slowly and deliberately work my way until I hear the javelina in the bushes. He’s rooting around maybe 30 yards ahead of me. I can hear the javelina, but I can’t see it. I check and I’m still down wind. I think the javelina hears me too, but might be confused and still be smelling my scent from the opposite direction. I work my way into range of a spot where I visualize the javelina’s sounds coming from. Moments later I see the javelina materialize, partially obstructed by brush (everything is partially obstructed in the desert) and I crack off a round.

At the gunshot it’s like a javelina grenade explodes, these suckers are bombing out at every angle. There were 8-9 surrounding me that I wasn’t aware of!!

So I focus on mine, which bounded into a bush, maybe for cover. I immediately take aim on the opposite side of the bush, but it stops inside the bush and kinda pushes out the front, so I crack off a second round. This one I can tell is mortal, but he’s still standing. We’re near a deep bushy arroyo that leads into another deep sand wash, and I can’t let him disappear into there, so I didn’t advance on the javelina until it was done.

I estimate the weight of my javelina at 60 pounds, roughly the size of a big dog. I skinned and gutted the javelina on site, because I was about 2 miles from my ATV, which was 2 miles from my pickup. It was a very grueling hike with a dead critter strapped to my backpack. I managed to get my camp cleaned up and the javelina dropped off at the processor by 7PM.

I plotted my movements from when I started seeing sign, then where I spooked the javelina, circled, and finally harvested it.

Notes, I used a hard cast 255 grain SWC, which bored through both sides of the javelina. I was probably a bit too concerned with penetration making this choice. I think a hollow point would’ve been preferable.

Video from right after the shot:
https://youtu.be/914BMsiALsE
Attached Thumbnails
1CEA6D7E-9FA6-40F6-A12F-D6919F803EB9_1581180470728.jpeg   F0CE3619-11BB-4D01-B0CB-A4EFA35A8EF3_1581180498085.jpg   C3982E5D-08E7-449B-988D-5A3C9298B9CA_1581180592963.jpg   947D1B21-7A39-466D-A0A8-74F45C403EE2_1581180631851.jpg   FE3511A4-CB02-43ED-B5F9-D2020F166362_1581180812751.jpg   F7B48BB0-BBE4-43AC-B3BA-4EDEC46408AA_1581180835636.jpeg  

Old 02-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Well done! Congratulations! Brings back fond memories for me.

I used to have a buddy with a ranch between Laredo and the border... Javi's were thick and so much fun to bowhunt... (his ranch was bow only so we never got to handgun hunt)
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM

Nice Vid and pics. It was easy to tell he had been hit in the vid. Not a usual posture for a javelina and labored breathing.

Growing up in San Antonio and having access to a relative's ranch was a blast to this pre-teen in the late 50's. With single shot .22's, Cotton tails and Jacks didn't have a chance. My Aunt said a.22 rifle and 10 rounds was the best baby sitter ever! My cousin and I were given 10 rounds each Saturday mornings and were told not to come home unless we each had bagged 10 rabbits! A rattler counted too!

A real treat was hunting Javelina with the big kids! My first experience was similar to yours stalking them in dry creek beds, mainly because it was the easiest walking I suppose! We shared a ancient 32-20 lever gun (I don't recall if this was a rimfire or center fire cartridge!). Shots had to be in the head as I found out early on. My first shot, I thought was a heart shot. I saw dust fly but it didn't go down just ran off. The second was a head shot at 30 paces and "score"! Some of the Javelina we glassed had tusks!

There were also wild domestic pigs in the area but they were huge and required center fire rifles to bag. I don't recall a season on those. They were blamed for damaging cattle grazing lands.

Thanks for triggering a fond memory of growing up in TEXAS!

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-08-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post

Hunting does form very strong memories. Some really great ones.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:19 PM

That's "livin' the dream" right there.

Looks both ambitious and rewarding.

Extra points given for accomplishing it with a 1911-gun. That's neato!

Great narrative and photographs too! Thanks for posting.

I had a much more low key hunting adventure weekend before last. As duck hunting was a bust because of a "blue bird" day I thought to go on a quick early afternoon small game ramble at our old place on the lake. Our son and I had walked up through the mesquite flats to the bottom of a hill and were about to ascend it when we heard a snuffle in the brush.

A short stalk in the direction of the sound found an explosion of feral hogs. They bolted in two separate bunches. I was armed with a single-shot, bolt-action Remington Model 510 .22 rifle. A quick shot essayed at a 125-150 lb. sow running across an opening at perhaps 25 yards gave no debilitating effect even though the audible thump of the Long Rifle solid was heard hitting her in the shoulder or side.

A quick reload was fortuitous as a second group bolted out of the brush and crossed the opening. This time a .22 solid "did the duty" holing the lungs of a 25 lb. "pork snack."

Very small it was but quite a bit larger than a rabbit or squirrel. I may have to carry larger side arms whenever I'm hunting small game out there in future. The hogs have just arrived in the region though I've been expecting them for years.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 02-08-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Nice Vid and pics. It was easy to tell he had been hit in the vid. Not a usual posture for a javelina and labored breathing.

Growing up in San Antonio and having access to a relative's ranch was a blast to this pre-teen in the late 50's. With single shot .22's, Cotton tails and Jacks didn't have a chance. My Aunt said a.22 rifle and 10 rounds was the best baby sitter ever! My cousin and I were given 10 rounds each Saturday mornings and were told not to come home unless we each had bagged 10 rabbits! A rattler counted too!

A real treat was hunting Javelina with the big kids! My first experience was similar to yours stalking them in dry creek beds, mainly because it was the easiest walking I suppose! We shared a ancient 32-20 lever gun (I don't recall if this was a rimfire or center fire cartridge!). Shots had to be in the head as I found out early on. My first shot, I thought was a heart shot. I saw dust fly but it didn't go down just ran off. The second was a head shot at 30 paces and "score"! Some of the Javelina we glassed had tusks!

There were also wild domestic pigs in the area but they were huge and required center fire rifles to bag. I don't recall a season on those. They were blamed for damaging cattle grazing lands.

If it really was a .32-20 and not a lever-action .32 rimfire then that would have been a center fire. A Winchester Model 1892 Saddle-Ring-Carbine in .32-20 lives here. I've wanted to take it javalina hunting.

I also trimmed a squirrel out of a tree later on the same afternoon as taking the pork snack using a .32-20, in this instance a Smith & Wesson K-Frame Hand Ejector revolver.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Thank You for the great narrative, pix and video. Well done!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM

32-20 wcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
If it really was a .32-20 and not a lever-action .32 rimfire then that would have been a center fire. A Winchester Model 1892 Saddle-Ring-Carbine in .32-20 lives here. I've wanted to take it javalina hunting.

I also trimmed a squirrel out of a tree later on the same afternoon as taking the pork snack using a .32-20, in this instance a Smith & Wesson K-Frame Hand Ejector revolver.
I had a chance to look up 32-20 and the picture matched my recollection. I also recall the story of cowboy's carrying a revolver using the same cartridge to as their carbine to simplify ammo.

I forgot to mention that the same area held turkeys but that's another story.

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-08-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:47 PM

I ran into a large group of Javelina this morning on my walk. There were approx. 15-20 in the group.....and all sizes. They were maybe 20-25 yards ahead of me.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:18 AM

It almost sacrilege to hunt Javelina with a handgun that isn't a AMT Javelina.

No Regerts.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:54 AM

Sounds like a super fun time.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Glad you had a good hunt. Thank you for pics and video. Too bad you didn’t have a GoPro on your head to record the whole thing until it was gutted.

I second the using an AMT Javalina, shame.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Great hunt.

Fun times.

Thanks for sharing that with us.