Hellcat? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 08:15 AM

Hellcat?

There is a strange lack of posts on the new Hellcat and I wonder why?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 AM

I wouldnít expect many around here to care about a micro polymer gun.

As a Springfield fan, and XD owner, I think itís an ugly little gun, but it sure is great for concealed carry. I may end up with one. I happen to be in the minority that prefers the grip safety, which the Hellcat does not have. If it had one, Iíd be carrying it now.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 AM

I have been watching YT videos of reviews of the firearm and I think that it’s not proven to be a reliable ccw as of yet. Too new for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 09:48 AM

"micro polymer gun" from Croatia with minimal "grip zone" to hang onto. Yawn.......

Last edited by drail; 01-03-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM

The hellcat has been an excellent handgun, so far. Ive had one since it came out. Its really hard to beat 14 rounds thats a bit larger than a shield
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM

I'll admit to being non-enthused about another polymer pistol.....but the idea has grown on me.

I read a couple articles about the Hellcat that were in the various gun mags that show up in the mailbox every so often.

The magazine design of the gun is impressive to me. Sights look great. 7lb trigger not so much.

My only interest in it would be for pocket carry and I'm covered there at present time. I can see where it would appeal to folks shopping for the P365, G43 or other.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:06 PM

I want to hold one and see how it feels. My EDC is a Sig 938 but greater capacity would be nice.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
I'll admit to being non-enthused about another polymer pistol.....but the idea has grown on me.

I read a couple articles about the Hellcat that were in the various gun mags that show up in the mailbox every so often.

The magazine design of the gun is impressive to me. Sights look great. 7lb trigger not so much.

My only interest in it would be for pocket carry and I'm covered there at present time. I can see where it would appeal to folks shopping for the P365, G43 or other.

Powder River Precision already has a trigger kit for it that should really help.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 PM

Great gun - it replaced the XDS .45 and the G42 (the around the house pocket carry).

Ratfink 53 "not proven" you need to checkout the guys that did the 10,000 round torture test utube with both standard and +P ammo.

I didn't go to that extreme just 100 ball and mix of Critical Defense and
Critical Duty 50 rounds before carry.

Shot Nevada PILB (security guard) test 296/300 - that was cold no worm up. Not bad for a sub compact.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 01-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Yes I'am a fan of it . Fits my hands , Great sights . For summer carry , a Great idea .
The 2 years SA took to develop it and R&D it seems to have paid off .

One of the few Polymer pistols I'd own . Its on the list of spring buying .

This is a 1911 site , so I don't talk about polymer here . I wonder is their a Polymer
gun site .

Springfield just opened their own forum up . I know its talked about there .
https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/

Why they don't have a moderator here . Who knows

I don't know what I would talk about with a Soul-less polymer pistol ?
Hey look at my black under 600 gun . its black ...

Last edited by Billy1911; 01-04-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
Yes I'am a fan of it . Fits my hands , Great sights . For summer carry , a Great idea .

This is a 1911 site , so I don't talk about polymer here . I wonder is their a Polymer
gun site .

There'd be no bushing to cuss over if it's too tight.

No idiot scratch concerns.

No "who makes the best magazines for my gun" considerations.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:26 PM

This is such a crusty forum. Feels like Iím in a civil war vet forum.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Administrator

So far I've only seen one Hellcat in the wild. None the gun shops near me have received any stock yet, or so they said at least. Handling the one example I saw I can say that it looked appealing, but I'm not about to go sell my SIG P365 just to get one. Even if I didn't own a P365 I would still wait a year to see what bugs if any ended up needing to be fixed. I don't think any of these manufacturers have come out with a single new design in recent years that didn't have some issues right out of the starting gate. But if there are and Springfield quickly corrects them, and more importantly if they manage to get enough of them out there they'll have a winner on their hands. But for the moment the P365 is available in much greater quantity, as are the mags and spare parts.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 PM

I have a p365 and a hellcat. I like them both, but i trust the hellcat a lot more, despite it being newer.

The hellcat has superior magazines, in my opinion. The hellcat mags load a lot more smoothly, whereas the p365 mag internals feel like theyre dragging. Also, i find it very difficult to load the p365 to capacity.

The hellcat mags have a low-cut front. Ive had issues manually cycling rounds through the p365, in that the rounds occasionally want to nose dive. You can probably replicate what im talking about by manually stripping off several rounds from the magazine. I actually sent one of the 12 round mags back to sig Sauer for this issue, which they replaced. To be fair, i havent had a stoppage during live fire. However, i did have a hollow point wedge itself at the base of the feed ramp while manually cycling rounds through the gun. The hellcat manually cycles rounds very smoothly

And the whole broken striker thing only adds to my apprehension with the p365. I like the gun... dont get me wrong.. i just think that maybe Springfield recognized some of the issues with the p365 and hopefully remedied them

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_211517_1578191394692.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	571438

Name:	20200104_211558_1578191414888.jpg
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	571440

Name:	20200104_211607_1578191434686.jpg
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	571442

Name:	20200104_211639_1578191452773.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	571444

Name:	20200104_211656_1578191477502.jpg
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	571446

Name:	20200104_211656_1578191477502.jpg
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	571446
Old 01-05-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:

gun site .

For the majority +1 ^^^

While I handled and think I would like the Hellcat, I would not like this and the Ruger forum to become like the Sig forum. Just my 2 cents.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 01-05-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
There'd be no bushing to cuss over if it's too tight.

No idiot scratch concerns.

No "who makes the best magazines for my gun" considerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
This is such a crusty forum. Feels like Iím in a civil war vet forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
For the majority +1 ^^^

While I handled and think I would like the Hellcat, I would not like this and the Ruger forum to become like the Sig forum. Just my 2 cents.

Well when my daddy's , daddy's , great grand daddy , was a shoot'en them
old Springfield's at the other side , they was just a stand'in there all lined up
like bowling pins ....

You think this forum seems old . Go over to the Colt forum they are still
trying to defend no checkering , much less modern sights and hammers
on 1911's ....

DubfromGa : Don't for get pinned ejectors concerns .. or 20 LPI checkering
is just to ruff for my hands . or my favorite 1500.00 is just to rich for my
blood to spend on a 1911

The sig forum . I can see the excitement over there . questions like .
Are you on the legion ? If so how long ? What color is your pistol ?
Oh that was just one mistake sig made on the 365 .. Sig is the best
pistol in the world , they are so refined , nothing could be better ...
( big pat on backs ) I only run the best ammo sig ammo its the best .
why run anything else . I'am not modifying anything on my sig .
its perfect .
Old 01-05-2020, 10:43 AM

I have yet to see on in the wild. I will either buy a Hellcat or a variation of the P365 this year. Maybe I am slow to move, but in the last 10 years there have been a few new headline making pistols that required some vendor attention so waiting a few months doesn't bother me... I can wait as I have so many other playthings in the safe (as for issues, I mean like Remington R51, Walther CCP, Sig 320, Hudson H9... )

I have big hands and wonder how it will feel. I absolutely have to try any smaller pistol on for size
Old 01-05-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well when my daddy's , daddy's , great grand daddy , was a shoot'en them
old Springfield's at the other side , they was just a stand'in there all lined up
like bowling pins ....

You think this forum seems old . Go over to the Colt forum they are still
trying to defend no checkering , much less modern sights and hammers
on 1911's ....

DubfromGa : Don't for get pinned ejectors concerns .. or 20 LPI checkering
is just to ruff for my hands . or my favorite 1500.00 is just to rich for my
blood to spend on a 1911

The sig forum . I can see the excitement over there . questions like .
Are you on the legion ? If so how long ? What color is your pistol ?
Oh that was just one mistake sig made on the 365 .. Sig is the best
pistol in the world , they are so refined , nothing could be better ...
( big pat on backs ) I only run the best ammo sig ammo its the best .
why run anything else . I'am not modifying anything on my sig .
its perfect .

Exactly.

There is another 1911 site that I frequent.

Their main focus is on custom guns. If someone here thinks we are bad.....go look at the cat fights that get going there if a disparaging remark is made about a certain small custom shop. Whew.

Those guys are rolling with a budget that I canít even begin to understand.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:43 PM

GF just ordered one after renting one to shoot at a range. She has since picked it up and took it shooting, loves it.

Not problems with it and it doesn't seem to be picky on the ammo.

Nice little compact carry.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:11 PM

I've handled one at my LGS, but not shot one. It feels nice. I've put 3 mags through the P365 and liked it, and shot it well. I think they would both make very nice EDC's...
I'm currently filling this spot with a XDE, G26 & LC9S. I'd like to hear some more reviews on the Hellcat before jumping into one, but could see grabbing one down the road, or the P365.
It's nice to see manufacturers starting the build with the mag, and building a gun around it. I think a lot of guns are produced with the mag being an afterthought, or there's an "Oh Crap!" moment and the mag is borrowed from another gun.
And even though this is THE BEST 1911 forum out there, I like those that bring all guns and accessory discussions to this forum. I currently only own 3 1911s, which is a very small percentage of my overall "collection", but I really enjoy the opinion of a lot of the folks that post here. Those that engage in all firearm discussions, and don't buy into the curmudgeonous and narrow-minded "The 1911 is the only gun!" mentality, are very refreshing. Yeah, I could go find the "proper" forum to talk ARs & polymer guns, but I like hearing the opinions of the folks on this sight the best.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:45 AM

I started this thread because I bought my P365 after waiting a year for Sig to fix the issues it had after launch. So far it has been perfect for me and I find myself carrying it more often than I thought I would because I really prefer a bigger gun.

I was just wondering why not many comments on the hellcat. Now for me it is just too similar to the 365 to justify purchasing. I don't need two guns so much the same unless they are 1911's or H&K's.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 PM
Administrator

I definitely don't see the need for having both a Hellcat AND a P365. However either pistol is a good choice if you're shopping for either one or the other. The biggest difference I noticed is that the grip on the Hellcat is ever so slightly thicker than the P365, which is good news if you have large hands and should make no difference in concealability. But I couldn't care less about the other features such as the RMR capability and Pic rail, as I find both to be of little utility on a pistol designed for discreet carry. And while some might make a big deal out of one extra round of capacity..... going from 6+1 to 7+1 might be important, but 11 shots to 12 is hardly enough to get excited about. However it might be important to some, and one more boolit in your boomstick is never a bad thing.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo3 View Post
I want to hold one and see how it feels. My EDC is a Sig 938 but greater capacity would be nice.
I have been waiting to see a 911 9mm in person, and then the Hellcat came out. I'm not hung up on high capacity, as I carry some sort of 1911 daily, but it would be interesting to see how the two guns compare.

Are you pleased with you 938? Any complaints?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 PM

I like the 938. Small, very accurate and well made. Never had a fail to fire or fail to eject. I use the extended mags to better support the pinky finger. That gives 7 plus one cap. Mine is also the one with the molded rubber grip, I think it is called the sports model? Fits my old hand well.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 PM

As to why there aren't more posts on the Hellcat, if you all have had the same experience as I have had with the Hellcat, there just nowhere to be found in the stores. I see them on line, but I personally want to hold one before I pull the trigger (excuse the pun). No reason to have much discussion on these new guns if so few people own them. I'd love to hear more about the Hellcat and 911 9mm, because those are the ones I'm considering.