self defense legal insurance programs? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-26-2019, 11:13 AM

self defense legal insurance programs?

I've been with Texas Law Shield for a while and have to renew soon.

I was wondering what other people are using and recommend?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2019, 12:03 PM

I recently joined USCCA and they send more info (emails) than NRA sends mailings (rather annoying).
Old 12-26-2019, 12:21 PM

I use Texas Law Shield as well here in Florida.

Technically its a "Prepaid Legal Service" as opposed to a bonafide insurance plan. Just to emphasize the distinction. If you get sued for using your firearm in a self-defense shooting... and loose. You would get your legal fees paid, but the caveat is that you will still be liable for any judgement rendered against you. If you have liability insurance, they might pick up the judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2019, 01:52 PM

My sister just signed up with a company called US Law Shield.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:39 PM

I did a lot of research on this a couple of years ago, and finally decided on CCW Safe. I agonized over this decision for quite some time, but CCW Safe ultimately offered the right balance of services, price and coverage for me. Your mileage may vary of course, but I'm happy with my choice (and hope I never have to use it!)

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 12-26-2019, 07:53 PM

USCCA. Been with them about 5 years
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 PM

You guys should of course go with what makes you feel happy.

No beef with that. But two of my brothers are very high end lawyers. I have had discussions about this with both of them. And both of them have told me that the outfits that offer this kind of representation generally higher lawyers on retainer. And as the market actually works. These turn out to be lawyers that need the money.

And the fact of the matter is that the really good lawyers are never looking for work. They actually turn down work on a regular basis. Consider this. If you choose to subscribe to one of these services. You should ask them who might actually represent you if push comes to shove. I am guessing that they will not actually give you a specific name in most cases. This should be a red flag right away. It could end up actually being some kid fresh out of law school that needs to pay his rent.

If you can actually get them to give you a name. You should then proceed to martindale .com to inspect their peer rating. This is the only rating that will actually tell you anything. Five stars being the highest rating. These people will be very expensive as they are never hurting for work. You also might see lawyers posting with customer ratings, but beware of those as they are generally cherry picked. And if they are not even listed on Martindale then beware. Just sayin.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Another consideration to remember in purchasing any "insurance" is that insurance companies are not in business to help you. They are in business to make money. This applies to extended car insurance, home insurance, health insurance, or any of the above referenced insurance plans.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED HORSE View Post
Another consideration to remember in purchasing any "insurance" is that insurance companies are not in business to help you. They are in business to make money. This applies to extended car insurance, home insurance, health insurance, or any of the above referenced insurance plans.

Yes, of course.

But like Pman pointed out, it's not really insurance, but a "Prepaid Legal Service".

And when I talked to them (TLS) about it they said it would be a local lawyer.
I didn't expect some high caliber barrister from Dallas to show up.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:03 PM

So clearly this would indicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
Yes, of course.

But like Pman pointed out, it's not really insurance, but a "Prepaid Legal Service".

And when I talked to them (TLS) about it they said it would be a local lawyer.
I didn't expect some high caliber barrister from Dallas to show up.
That if you feel comfortable with less than optimum legal representation. Than this is an option for you. If you are comfortable going this route. Then by all means you should go that way.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:22 PM

You may find this useful...Virgina Citizen's Defense League did a comparison

https://vcdl.org/Legal-Plans
Old 12-27-2019, 12:48 AM

I'm somewhat skeptical of these kind of products. They sound very much like the "Extended Warranty Coverage" that all the retailers try to hock. And every one of those I've ever purchased has not been worth the paper on which it was printed. There ALWAYS seemed to be an exclusion (buried somewhere in the six pages of micro-print) to why the policy wouldn't cover MY particular damage or failure.

Perhaps I'm just a nudge, but I've always found if something sounds too good to be true it usually is. However, I certainly would never be able to afford a $50,000 retainer and $650 an hour for an attorney. And I certainly wouldn't want to entrust my freedom to an overworked public defender. So perhaps $600/year is worth it?

Last edited by Flight Medic; 12-27-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:01 AM

Having been in the automotive repair business for over 40 years I can tell you that my experience with these aftermarket warranty companies always took care if there customers. Never argued the price and even paid for things I didn’t think was something they really owed for. This wasn’t just mechanical warranties but rustproofing warranties.

Also, there are a lot of gun owners on here that can’t pay a high dollar lawyer out of pocket. We could lose anything we have and ever will have just because we defended ourselves. At least these offer us something in the way of help.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
You may find this useful...Virgina Citizen's Defense League did a comparison

https://vcdl.org/Legal-Plans

Indeed, very helpful.

I re-uped with Texas Law Shield (US Law Shield)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:24 AM

I just don't want politicians to seize on it so that "insurance" becomes mandatory for the exercise of our Second Amendment rights for that would be an infringement.

Draconian bill in New Jersey to require $50k liability insurance to own a gun, registration & confiscation

https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/dra...n-confiscation
Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 AM

My son and I both chose CCW Safe. It is 'protection' and peace of mind that neither of us could afford on our own.

Should the very unlikely event ever happen, I take considerable comfort in having that toll-free phone number in my wallet 24/7/365. After a super-stressful event I sure wouldn't want to be trying to Google a lawyer at random. If you carry and don't have a coverage plan? I do trust you have the business card of the lawyer you have on retainer as handy as mine.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Having been in the automotive repair business for over 40 years I can tell you that my experience with these aftermarket warranty companies always took care if there customers. Never argued the price and even paid for things I didn’t think was something they really owed for. This wasn’t just mechanical warranties but rustproofing warranties.

Also, there are a lot of gun owners on here that can’t pay a high dollar lawyer out of pocket. We could lose anything we have and ever will have just because we defended ourselves. At least these offer us something in the way of help.
Being a 30 year auto guy my experiences are not as positive as yours with extended warranty. But the good does out weigh the bad most times.

I had a freezer go bad and it took several months before it was repaired. Don't think I want to sit in jail for months while some insurance company verifies coverage.

I will agree that these companies do not provide high dollar attorney but hope that their skills are at least verified in some way. When shtf even a mediocre criminal attorney would be better than calling my brother in law who does wills and estates.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:12 AM

I'm not an optimist, when it comes to law. I just watched the President of the best constitutionally backed lawful nation on the planet get impeached without ANY clear evidence what so ever. If they want to get you, they are going to get you. No amount of knowledge in legal defense is going to help. Money will work, if you have enough. I don't. I see this as nothing more than 21st century snake oil sales.

I live in the communist state of Connecticut. Personally, I carry everywhere a criminal can. If I am convicted for carrying in a gun-free zone, I believe it will be because God chooses so, but I will sit in prison knowing I was morally right in shooting the person that committed the real crime. I am a Constitutionalist. No government, federal, state, or local has the right to infringe. Period.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:26 AM

I’ve carried since 1995 and have never had to draw my gun yet I still carry every day, it’s my insurance plan. The odds are always with the prepared.

If I would have have had insurance like this time, I would have spent approximately:

Gold member: $ 6900.00

Mid level: $ 9900.00

Top tier: $ 13500.00

Am I thankful that I never spent that money on insurance? Sure, I’m also thankful I never needed it, but if I would have needed it I would need a lot more money than that, even the $13500.00 to defend myself. I couldn’t even pay the down payment that a lawyer would want just to be retained.

I have lived 8 years longer than Mayo gave me, I may not live long as every day is a blessing now. I don’t want my wife saddled with her having to deal with a suit if I would die after shooting someone.

I believe this only makes sense for non wealthy firearm owners.

Last edited by Johnny handgun; 12-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:41 AM

I believe our state AG Ferguson is blocking out of state organizations like the NRA and others to be used in any self defense case for any legal gun owner in the state.

His way of pushing the NRA and other gun rights groups out of his way so he can have a clear, unobstructed path to destruction.

There is a law shield organization being using in the state for gun owners, don't recall the name, but it's operating without the ''Self Defense'' title in order to remain in business.

Who knows, give it enough time and Ferguson will probably set his sights on it and push the nuke button.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Here's how I see it:

It is very unlikely that I will get involved in a defensive shoot with my carry gun.

Also unlikely is that whatever lawyer was furnished to me by an insurance company would have any experience in a CCW case. It's just not a common event.

But what is NOT unlikely at all is that I would spend thousands & thousands of dollars on insurance for without benefit. That is nearly a guaranteed outcome.

And $10k spent on insurance could easily become $20k if invested over the same time frame. Opportunity costs.

I just don't think it pencils out. Money spent & even if needed, probably a less-than-the-best legal service.

Nah, I'm out.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:50 PM

This is the long and the short of it right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Here's how I see it:

It is very unlikely that I will get involved in a defensive shoot with my carry gun.

Also unlikely is that whatever lawyer was furnished to me by an insurance company would have any experience in a CCW case. It's just not a common event.

But what is NOT unlikely at all is that I would spend thousands & thousands of dollars on insurance for without benefit. That is nearly a guaranteed outcome.

And $10k spent on insurance could easily become $20k if invested over the same time frame. Opportunity costs.

I just don't think it pencils out. Money spent & even if needed, probably a less-than-the-best legal service.

Nah, I'm out.
It is a racket that plays off of paranoia. I would suggest that if people that are that concerned about getting involved in a questionable shoot, inasmuch as it results in them being prosecuted. They would likely be better off putting the amount per month that they would pay for the service into a savings account towards any future set of circumstances that would require legal representation. Even high end attorneys will work with you as far as fee payment is concerned. They know that everyone is not rich.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
No beef with that. But two of my brothers are very high end lawyers. I have had discussions about this with both of them. And both of them have told me that the outfits that offer this kind of representation generally higher lawyers on retainer. And as the market actually works. These turn out to be lawyers that need the money.

And the fact of the matter is that the really good lawyers are never looking for work. They actually turn down work on a regular basis. Consider this. If you choose to subscribe to one of these services. You should ask them who might actually represent you if push comes to shove. I am guessing that they will not actually give you a specific name in most cases. This should be a red flag right away. It could end up actually being some kid fresh out of law school that needs to pay his rent.

If you can actually get them to give you a name. You should then proceed to martindale .com to inspect their peer rating. This is the only rating that will actually tell you anything. Five stars being the highest rating. These people will be very expensive as they are never hurting for work. You also might see lawyers posting with customer ratings, but beware of those as they are generally cherry picked. And if they are not even listed on Martindale then beware. Just sayin.
This is the best advice in this thread. I would recommend that You look up your State’s Statutes on Firearms and print it out and read it over and over again till you have it memorized.

Always avoid Confrontations/ Road Rage incidents,etc.Stay Sober and Sane and only use deadly force to defend You or a Loved Ones Life.

These legal prepaids are an initial stopgap until you can get the best Lawyer you can find. In a criminal case, it doesn’t matter whose right or wrong, it matters who has the best Lawyer.

People go to law school, pass the Bar, and look for a job....They usually wind up with the SAs Office prosecuting Traffic cases, than misdemeanors, than Felony cases, Others go to the public defenders office, same thing, when they’re finally competent, they go into private practice, and argue cases.

We had FOP/PBA reps for OIS and greviences, I had a Chief tell me once at a Police Memorial Service, “ If you get in real trouble, You’re going to need a real Lawyer” True Dat.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:11 PM

It's not a question of getting involved in a questionable shoot, USMM guy.

It's a question of getting involved in ANY shoot.
Carrying a pistol on you ups that possibility immensely.

A couple of points?

Comparing something to something it is not tends to confuse what it is.
Several people hopped on the "extended warranty" programs for a comparison.
After-the-shoot legal protection is not an extended warranty.
Not by a long shot.

I confused the matter myself by using the work "insurance" in the title.
That sets a connotation that is also incorrect.
My bad.

Texas Law Shield, base price, was $140 a year.
Yes, in 10 or 20 years that will add up.
But I pay that a month for my car insurance and don't think twice about it.
It's protection - in case.

I feel the same way about legal self-defense protection.

Study the offerings for yourself.

Or not...
Old 12-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Cavelamb is correct. It will come down to personal choice and I don’t want a situation where everyone is forced to have it but if I have to fire my gun in self defense and get sued then I flat out will not have enough money to pay a good lawyer in the first place and if by some chance I do then I still have that choice. The poorer one is the better sense it makes.