From paper to production, in seven months. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 12:31 PM

From paper to production, in seven months.

And at twenty one bucks a pop. Pretty hard to believe.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...m3-grease-gun/
Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Pretty great read. Thanks for posting.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Nice article, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 PM

I would call shooting at steel from 6 feet "ill advised" and if that other dude is shooting too------------ holy moly, that's straight-up sketchy!

Makes for a great pic, but I'd opt for just driving a truck through it.

I haven't held an M3 but I have handled & fired a Sten. Another cheapie SMG. It was shockingly crude but dang, she sure did work well!

The one thing that was just too weird for me was the Open Bolt dealio. As a kid, reading gun books, I thought by "open bolt" they meant an unlocked bolt. Later I found out, no, it means the bolt is locked open in the rearward position. With the cartridge, visible through the port, suspended in mid air waiting for a trigger pull to move forward.

Standard SMG design, I know, but it seems so strange!
Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 PM

Fun to shoot......pretty slow cycle rate, but lots of fun.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I would call shooting at steel from 6 feet "ill advised" and if that other dude is shooting too------------ holy moly, that's straight-up sketchy!

Makes for a great pic, but I'd opt for just driving a truck through it.
That was exactly what I was thinking. Didn't they have an M4 Sherman handy? Soft lead bullets do not make for good lock breakers, no matter what Hollywood wants you to believe.

As for the M3, I have no comment on its attributes as I've never even held one before. However as a gun fancier I simply can't get excited about something made entirely out of sheet metal that looks exactly like its automotive namesake. There was a company here in WA that offered a legal semi-auto version for a few years, but it was a complete bastardization with a 16" barrel, non-collapsible wire stock, and an AR-15 fire control group.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:59 PM

The M3A1 was issued to tankers well into the early 1990s. I never got a chance to shoot it but I got to play with one. It was a hunk of steel.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Copper jacketed lead, that helps a little.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:05 PM

The build quality of the Sten (I bet the M3 is similar) was close to that of a Harbor Freight jack stand.

I'm not exaggerating. Just add the barrel from one of those hammer-powered Home Depot .22 nail guns and you have comparable product.

But hey, it was the right gun at the right time.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Hell I would pay $1000 for one today if we were allowed lol! I'll take two, twin them and have fun
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
And at twenty one bucks a pop. Pretty hard to believe.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...m3-grease-gun/
Iíll take 2 please...
Old 12-15-2019, 05:07 PM

shooter59 ---- Slow rate of fire is what you want. It's a plus, not a negative.

Colt M16 goes fast. Bzzzt! then you're empty.

Sten & M3 go chuggachuggachugga, allowing you to correct your aim & get on target before your mag runs dry. So you can sweep targets & actually hit stuff.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 PM

If I had to hand-in my Thompson, only to get a M3 as a replacement...
I'd be pretty pissed!

A MAC-10 has better sights than a M3. They should have spent 7 more DAYS, and TWO more dollars, and put some actual thought into the aiming of it.

I think you could fire a M1911A1 faster than a grease gun.
They shouldn't even be NFA restricted!

The first plastic water pistols were probably made by stealing the design features from the M3.

To be fair, though, a MP5 isn't exactly a Swiss watch, either.
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Administrator

If you want to see a really fast full-auto shoulder arm try a converted Ruger 10/22 sometime. 25 rounds are gone in 1.5 seconds.

GIs used to complain that the M3 felt like firing on slow motion after they'd become accustomed to the Thompson. It took awhile for them to realize that it was actually a plus.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
shooter59 ---- Slow rate of fire is what you want. It's a plus, not a negative.

Colt M16 goes fast. Bzzzt! then you're empty.

Sten & M3 go chuggachuggachugga, allowing you to correct your aim & get on target before your mag runs dry. So you can sweep targets & actually hit stuff.
Really? I’ve been acquainted with fully automatic and select fire for longer than I care to remember.

Not much in the US inventory I haven’t shot. But thanks for setting me straight😀
Old 12-15-2019, 07:15 PM

I recall shooting one when in the Army many years ago. Was surprised at its weight, clumsy trigger. That said it worked and was far more reliable than our M16s we had at the time.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:57 PM

The South Vietnamese troops (Popular Force militia) I worked with had some of these, as well as other obsolete weapons. The slow cyclic rate of fire means that the thing can be held down in automatic fire, unlike, say, the M16.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:02 PM

They actually worked pretty well. Ugly, crappy materials, loose as a goose, not all bad for a fighting weapon.

Being as this is a 1911 place, many of the advancements made to the pistol in the name of improvement for competition, wasn’t always a wonderful thing for an EDC or duty gun.

Sometimes ‘loose and sloppy’ isn’t a bad thing.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
They actually worked pretty well. Ugly, crappy materials, loose as a goose, not all bad for a fighting weapon.

Being as this is a 1911 place, many of the advancements made to the pistol in the name of improvement for competition, wasn’t always a wonderful thing for an EDC or duty gun.

Sometimes ‘loose and sloppy’ isn’t a bad thing.
Eh. My tight guns always ran better than my loose ones, actually had to send my EDC back to be tightened back up since after 43k rounds the ejection pattern was getting less than perfect due to being nearly as loose as a colt
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Ok.....do you have a lot of experience with your guns in truly adverse conditions?

I shot competitively for a long time, and have been lucky enough to own some of the finest custom pistols anyone had ever had.

But I carried one professionally for many decades. First things first, the tools you bet your and your mates asses on need to work every time, in the worst possible conditions.

Sorry, we’ll have to disagree on this one, but having done both, I’m gonna have to go with my experiences (good and bad) on this one.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the good read.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 PM
Administrator

And remember folks... had the war gone on past 1945 we might have ended up with this beauty:

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
And remember folks... had the war gone on past 1945 we might have ended up with this beauty:

That’s great! Thanks for putting that up🤣
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 AM

I got to shoot one a couple years ago. It was lots of fun. Very crude but it worked very well.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If you want to see a really fast full-auto shoulder arm try a converted Ruger 10/22 sometime. 25 rounds are gone in 1.5 seconds.
Similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50N...ature=youtu.be